ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SRX835p - Would they benefit me?  (Read 26173 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
SRX835p - Would they benefit me?
« on: January 14, 2018, 12:02:03 PM »

2 years ago when I was in the market to purchase my SRX800 series system, I came here asking about the SRX835p's and based on the sound advice I got, I chose against them and got the SRX815p's.
I love what I have for all the right reasons - and since then I have also added SRX812's to the mix too - but I see a lot of folks here are really blown away with the 835's even in the smaller venues.
I made my decision based on the horn dispersion difference between the 2 and most of our shows are small to medium but I wonder if outside and in the bigger venues, the 835's would be a better choice for me.
However, my considerations are: 1) Not sure it will be cost effective due to the amount of larger and outside shows (or lack thereof) we do, and 2) I do not plan on getting 4 to use 2 per side to improve the dispersion coverage so I will have a larger area at the front of the stage affected by this BUT I will get higher levels further away.
There are some deals out there right now so I'm thinking ... maybe???
Or do I just  have GAS again??

One more thought...... I could sell my 812's and my 815's and get 4 835's - and keep using my DSR112's for the smaller shows.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Trevor Jalla

Re: SRX835p - Would they benefit me?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 12:16:45 PM »

2 years ago when I was in the market to purchase my SRX800 series system, I came here asking about the SRX835p's and based on the sound advice I got, I chose against them and got the SRX815p's.
I love what I have for all the right reasons - and since then I have also added SRX812's to the mix too - but I see a lot of folks here are really blown away with the 835's even in the smaller venues.
I made my decision based on the horn dispersion difference between the 2 and most of our shows are small to medium but I wonder if outside and in the bigger venues, the 835's would be a better choice for me.
However, my considerations are: 1) Not sure it will be cost effective due to the amount of larger and outside shows (or lack thereof) we do, and 2) I do not plan on getting 4 to use 2 per side to improve the dispersion coverage so I will have a larger area at the front of the stage affected by this BUT I will get higher levels further away.

One more thought...... I could sell my 812's and my 815's and get 4 835's - and keep using my DSR112's for the smaller shows.

I was in a similar situation 2 years ago, decided to get 4x dB Technologies D12HP, instead of 2x 835Ps. I've used all 4 as FOH either for wider dispersion (they are each 60 x 40), or occasionally using the inner pair as a vocal-only aux. Subs are 4x PRX718XLFs.

Would 2x 835s have done better in some instances? Possibly - but that's also conjecture not having ABd them. On the other hand, there are many times the 4 dBs got used where 2x 835s would not have a been a suitable substitute ie re purposed as  stage wedges, or a pair each sent out on a different job, or deployed as delay fills instead.

I too am curious about an all-SRX rig, but I wouldn't sell what I have now to get there as that would compromise utility i get from multiple smaller boxes.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 12:24:36 PM »

The passive 835 reminds me of the VP series of boxes. Incredible sound when used properly. You can't go wrong with this box Debbie.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2018, 12:24:42 PM »

I was in a similar situation 2 years ago, decided to get 4x dB Technologies D12HP, instead of 2x 835Ps. I've used all 4 as FOH either for wider dispersion (they are each 60 x 40), or occasionally using the inner pair as a vocal-only aux. Subs are 4x PRX718XLFs.

Would 2x 835s have done better in some instances? Possibly - but that's also conjecture not having ABd them. On the other hand, there are many times the 4 dBs got used where 2x 835s would not have a been a suitable substitute ie re purposed as  stage wedges, or a pair each sent out on a different job, or deployed as delay fills instead.

I too am curious about an all-SRX rig, but I wouldn't sell what I have now to get there as that would compromise utility i get from multiple smaller boxes.

If I didn't have my Yamaha DSRs I wouldn't think about selling my SRX tops that I have now. But assuming my DSR that was in the shop recently doesn't let me down, I I would still have scalability with what I have if I sold the SRX812's and 815's. 
I also have 4 PRX712's which I use mainly for monitors when needed and I also use them in one particular venue where I refuse to take my more expensive tops. They sound fine for small bar applications.
So I really do have too many 12" speakers right now and trading up to 835's at the right price might give me more options down the road.....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2018, 12:25:17 PM »

The passive 835 reminds me of the VP series of boxes. Incredible sound when used properly. You can't go wrong with this box Debbie.

I'm so tempted Bob...

Scott Gaines

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 12:41:49 PM »

For outdoors, the 835's are a great choice.
I have a pair of 815's too, and I chose them over the 835's for 2 reasons:

Coverage area
SIZE

The 835's are big, bulky SOBs. I wouldn't want to lug them around unless it were absolutely necessary. Using them in most bars will be WAY Overkill. Even the 815's feel like overkill in some bars.

For outdoor gigs with my band, the 815's hold their own nicely. We get compliments on our sound quality all the time. If we needed more, we'd probably be playing gigs where pro sound is provided.

If you're a band doing your own sound, I'd stick with your 815's and 812's. They are amazing!
If you're a pro sound company doing larger clubs and outdoor events, the 835's are a great bridge between speakers on poles & Line Array type stuff.

Sent from my HTC_2Q4D100 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 12:45:17 PM by Scott Gaines »

Trevor Jalla

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2018, 12:44:39 PM »

If I didn't have my Yamaha DSRs I wouldn't think about selling my SRX tops that I have now. But assuming my DSR that was in the shop recently doesn't let me down, I I would still have scalability with what I have if I sold the SRX812's and 815's. 
I also have 4 PRX712's which I use mainly for monitors when needed and I also use them in one particular venue where I refuse to take my more expensive tops. They sound fine for small bar applications.
So I really do have too many 12" speakers right now and trading up to 835's at the right price might give me more options down the road.....

Well, in that case - GAS away! :)

I too have bought before the need really arose, but when it does then you're good!

Steve Crump

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2018, 01:03:42 PM »

For outdoors, the 835's are a great choice.
I have a pair of 815's too, and I chose them over the 835's for 2 reasons:

Coverage area
SIZE

The 835's are big, bulky SOBs. I wouldn't want to lug them around unless it were absolutely necessary. Using them in most bars will be WAY Overkill. Even the 815's feel like overkill in some bars.

For outdoor gigs with my band, the 815's hold their own nicely. We get compliments on our sound quality all the time. If we needed more, we'd probably be playing gigs where pro sound is provided.

If you're a band doing your own sound, I'd stick with your 815's and 812's. They are amazing!
If you're a pro sound company doing larger clubs and outdoor events, the 835's are a great bridge between speakers on poles & Line Array type stuff.

Sent from my HTC_2Q4D100 using Tapatalk

Scott hit the nail on the head.

But, I also want to say, it is just GAS. Hard not to have it with all the great products out there on the market. I am completely envious of my friends who have a system that they are completely satisfied with and want for no more.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 01:12:27 PM »

Isn't the passive box a whole different animal than the powered version ?
I'm not too familiar JBL........

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 01:21:01 PM »

I'm so tempted Bob...

Bob is tempting?  At his age?  8)

We have a friend who does weekend warrior setups and still has a band that plays occasionally.  He had a pile of Ye Olde Skool gear (pro-type stuff, mostly) but it was big, heavy and sounded like it was 25 years old - which it was if not older.

He ended up with a pair of 835p and a pair of SRX828sp subs.  Sweet sounding rig.  Try to find a pair near you and go listen.  I've not used/heard the 815 so can't compare.

That 60° x 40° thing is certainly a "nominal" spec that exists at the top end of each pass band.  JBL no longer publishes polar plots :( but I think you can safely count on a slightly wider pattern, on average.  How much wider?  I didn't have a chance to run pink noise and listen so can't say for sure but I noticed another 10° or so with program material playing.  Above 3kHz, it's def 60° though.

Don't take that as an indictment, all multi way systems (except one manufacturer, unnamed here) exhibit some extent of pass band "beaming" as frequency increases.  When you cross over to the next pass band there's a pretty good chance the coverage is wider than "nominal" and begins to narrow as frequency increases; lather, rinse, repeat until you're out of pass bands.  This effect has been called "Christmas tree" - remember when you were a kid and you'd draw triangles, bigger on bottom, overlapping a bit at the top of each one until your tree was done?  That's what is happening in the horizontal for most all multi way  loudspeakers.

Now about your GAS problem... yeah, it's real.  I've looking forward to retirement in a few years and I'm still buying microphones and tools instead of paying down my mortgage.  I *so* understand the 835 itch.. :)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 01:21:01 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.