ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Replace remaining passive monitors with active?  (Read 3863 times)

Mark Finnemore

Replace remaining passive monitors with active?
« on: January 13, 2018, 06:34:27 AM »

Hi,
I currently have:
2 * Yamaha DSR112
2 * JBL PRX712
2 * JBL PRX715 subs

Sometimes I use the yammies as monitors, sometimes the jbls.

I also have : -
4 * EV S200 (those old suitcase speakers)
1 * QSC PLX2402 amp (version 1)

These items feel a bit like the odd one out since I upgraded to a digital mixer and mostly powered speakers.

The EV S200 seem very long in the tooth now, they look a bit raggid and don't really seem to stand up sound wise against my newer active speakers.

I'm trying to decide whether to either

a) Sell all the EV S200's, and buy a couple of good passive monitors (JBL SRX712M's maybe or some good 10").  Passive monitors for the vocals might be neater because I only need 1 cable going round to the front of the stage rather than XLR + Power..

b) Sell all the EV S200's and the amp, and buy another pair of active speakers.  I was also thinking maybe 10" speakers instead of 12" to give me more FOH options, reduce weight, and also 10" is probably enough for the vocal monitors..

Either way, I'm thinking it's about time I got rid of the old stuff I've hung onto (the S200's plus my old Crest XR20) unless there's any compelling reason to keep 'em?

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated!

EDIT: Interestingly the S200's still seem quite sort after and fetch a reasonable price on eBay.  Hmm.

EDIT: I did think about getting some more DSR112's but I'm shying away from them a bit as they seem to overheat fairly easily.  I used a couple for monitors outdoors and the sun was shining on the back of them (the amps) and they not half made some funny noises (though mostly only noticeable when not playing)!  They still worked okay when the band was playing..  It was not that hot, we are talking September / England here.  I think it's just that the sun was heating up the metal so perhaps next time I'll put them in the shade somehow..
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 06:59:43 AM by Mark Finnemore »

Callan Browne

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Rubix
Re: Replace remaining passive monitors with active?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 08:14:07 AM »

I would think that having 4 of the dsr112 would be very flexible. It also looks good when all your monitors are the same. (It matters to some...)

Out with the old, in with the new.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Melbourne Cover band: Rubix!

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 08:36:09 AM »

If you want to stay within the "same family" there are a few PRX7 series units (10") available at what appears to be a competitive price.

Check http://www.proaudiostar.com/jbl-prx710.html

Edited -"Oops!  Didn't realize Mark you were based in the UK..." :-\
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 08:40:28 AM by Will Knight »
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Mark Finnemore

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 09:13:46 AM »

If you want to stay within the "same family" there are a few PRX7 series units (10") available at what appears to be a competitive price.

Check http://www.proaudiostar.com/jbl-prx710.html

Edited -"Oops!  Didn't realize Mark you were based in the UK..." :-\

I did wonder about them, but they don't look the right shape to be used as monitors?

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2018, 12:53:54 PM »

I too would opt for the DSR112's.  They are a currently available product that (should) exactly match the ones you have.  I truly would expect them to make you monitors easier to get gain before feed back and equalization will be more consistent.  With a few exceptions, I have found even speakers in the same "family" have enough differences that they require different equalization.  Its getting better with active speakers, but a 15" 2-way vs. a 12" 2-way vs. a 10" 2-way all in the same series usually shows they are "voiced" quiet differently.

Steve Garris

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2018, 03:19:42 PM »

Another vote for more DSR's. That's what I did and I don't regret it one bit. They are bullet-proof.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2018, 09:00:43 PM »

I used to have a bunch of those EVs.  They actually make great monitors until the HF blows.  I've got 3 left in the garage for emergency use.

The DSRs would be good if you usually deal with loud bands.  Or you could find some used SRX712Ms which are smaller and will really overcome a loud stage.

Based on my experience with the small Alto's I've really in love with that form factor and the CoAx speaker's behavior as people move around in the near field.  Larger speakers like the PRX715 for side fill, but small CoAx's are great right in front of people for vocal clarity.  Fulcrum or Martin for higher end or if you can afford it, the EAW MicroWedge.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2018, 09:34:45 PM »

I used to have a bunch of those EVs.  They actually make great monitors until the HF blows.  I've got 3 left in the garage for emergency use.

The DSRs would be good if you usually deal with loud bands.  Or you could find some used SRX712Ms which are smaller and will really overcome a loud stage.

Based on my experience with the small Alto's I've really in love with that form factor and the CoAx speaker's behavior as people move around in the near field.  Larger speakers like the PRX715 for side fill, but small CoAx's are great right in front of people for vocal clarity.  Fulcrum or Martin for higher end or if you can afford it, the EAW MicroWedge.

The Radian MicroWedge (the original) is still around as the APEX 1200 and streets for about $1200.  I haven't heard the current production but remember them fondly from days past.  Great sounding, got decently loud and were the go-to solution for tight stages.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2018, 11:22:35 AM »

EDIT: I did think about getting some more DSR112's but I'm shying away from them a bit as they seem to overheat fairly easily.  I used a couple for monitors outdoors and the sun was shining on the back of them (the amps) and they not half made some funny noises (though mostly only noticeable when not playing)!  They still worked okay when the band was playing..  It was not that hot, we are talking September / England here.  I think it's just that the sun was heating up the metal so perhaps next time I'll put them in the shade somehow..
That’s a known issue with some batches of DSR. Yamaha will repair for free. Contact your local dealer. I had a few do this too, only in the sun. Once fixed they are flawless.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Mark Finnemore

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 12:13:31 PM »

That’s a known issue with some batches of DSR. Yamaha will repair for free. Contact your local dealer. I had a few do this too, only in the sun. Once fixed they are flawless.

Oh that’s great! Thanks for the info. Makes me far more inclined to buy more..

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2018, 12:13:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.