ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Issues with using External Hard Drive for board recording - Yamaha TF3  (Read 5407 times)

Chris Sieggen

• Church and H.O.W. Forums

Our mobile church uses a Yamaha TF3 for their FOH for their mobile rig.

Each week we record the sermon using the USB out option into a Lacie external hard drive with 1TB of space.

It didn't seem to do this when we first started, but over time, it seems the start up to recording to the hard drive takes about 10 seconds from the time we hit the record button icon to when it actually starts recording. Kind of frustrating.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

The set up is super simple and we'd like to keep it that way for our volunteers, but if the start up takes that long, we will have to find another solution.

Anyone have any idea of why this is happening? I'm happy to fill in with more detail if needed.

Chris Sieggen

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Issues with using External Hard Drive for board recording - Yamaha TF3
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 09:07:31 AM »

Likely the accumulation of data on the drive.  There's some "sorting out" going on when adding a new file.  I use a smaller drive for recording, off load the recording and re-format the drive before re-use.

You might be better off with a digital recorder if dealing with hard-drive maintenance doesn't fit in with volunteers.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 09:14:06 AM »

The set up is super simple and we'd like to keep it that way for our volunteers, but if the start up takes that long, we will have to find another solution.

Anyone have any idea of why this is happening? I'm happy to fill in with more detail if needed.

Chris Sieggen
Chris, are you using a Solid State Drive or are you using a non SSD?  The SSD is much faster. 

Just a thought.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Chris Sieggen

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 02:26:52 PM »

Chris, are you using a Solid State Drive or are you using a non SSD?  The SSD is much faster. 

Just a thought.

Bill
Likely the accumulation of data on the drive.  There's some "sorting out" going on when adding a new file.  I use a smaller drive for recording, off load the recording and re-format the drive before re-use.

You might be better off with a digital recorder if dealing with hard-drive maintenance doesn't fit in with volunteers.

I think you are right. It's a large capacity drive (1tb) which I thought would not be an issue, but after deleting the files, reformatting and re-inserting the drive, its launching quickly now.

I do think an SSD is a better way to go eventually. If we run into more issues down the road, that will be our next move.

Thank you for everyone's input. Very helpful.

Chris Sieggen

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 05:26:45 PM »

I think you are right. It's a large capacity drive (1tb) which I thought would not be an issue, but after deleting the files, reformatting and re-inserting the drive, its launching quickly now.

I do think an SSD is a better way to go eventually. If we run into more issues down the road, that will be our next move.

Thank you for everyone's input. Very helpful.

Eventually, we came to realize the read/write on the Lacie drive just wasn't fast enough. We ended up using a simple SanDisk SSD and it is working like a champ now.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 06:01:09 PM »

Eventually, we came to realize the read/write on the Lacie drive just wasn't fast enough. We ended up using a simple SanDisk SSD and it is working like a champ now.
Chris, SSD good.  Congratulations.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

John L Nobile

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 11:05:37 AM »

I had great results with 2 SSD's in a RAID 0 config hooked up with Thunderbolt on a Mac Pro. Never had a disk issue for the 2 years that I used it. I had a USB disk for backup. You have to backup a RAID 0 array. The speed is worth it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 11:05:37 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 23 queries.