ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: UX8800 Network Connection Issue  (Read 560 times)

Cornelius Qualley

UX8800 Network Connection Issue
« on: January 11, 2018, 05:28:53 pm »

I recently picked up a UX8800 and have been running in to an issue with the initial setup/connection. I spoke to a rep at EAW first, before posting this, and he really wasn't too helpful. So, I wanted to see if someone else may have some advice. Basically, I've tried every method I can think of to establish a connection to EAW Manager and Pilot. When it's on dynamic, the network LEDs seem to constantly cycle and it never pulls an IP, it always returns 0.0.0.0. The left LED on the network port will go green for 5-10 seconds, then of, then orange, then off, and cycle again. The right LED does about the same.

If I use it on static, I can get the left LED to go solid orange with the right LED blinking orange when connected to a router. But, it never shows up in EAW Manager. I've tried two different computers--one with Windows 10 and one with Windows XP. I've tried a hub, two different router/networks, and direct Cat5 cable, and a crossover cable for a direct connection. I've tried different IP addresses as well. I'm getting a "Connected @ 192.168.0.24" in EAW Manager, but no matter how many times I connect/disconnect, it never shows up.

It has quite old firmware on the unit, but obviously I cannot update it without connecting. So, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: UX8800 Network Connection Issue
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 05:33:07 pm »

I recently picked up a UX8800 and have been running in to an issue with the initial setup/connection. I spoke to a rep at EAW first, before posting this, and he really wasn't too helpful. So, I wanted to see if someone else may have some advice. Basically, I've tried every method I can think of to establish a connection to EAW Manager and Pilot. When it's on dynamic, the network LEDs seem to constantly cycle and it never pulls an IP, it always returns 0.0.0.0. The left LED on the network port will go green for 5-10 seconds, then of, then orange, then off, and cycle again. The right LED does about the same.

If I use it on static, I can get the left LED to go solid orange with the right LED blinking orange when connected to a router. But, it never shows up in EAW Manager. I've tried two different computers--one with Windows 10 and one with Windows XP. I've tried a hub, two different router/networks, and direct Cat5 cable, and a crossover cable for a direct connection. I've tried different IP addresses as well. I'm getting a "Connected @ 192.168.0.24" in EAW Manager, but no matter how many times I connect/disconnect, it never shows up.

It has quite old firmware on the unit, but obviously I cannot update it without connecting. So, any help would be greatly appreciated!

First off you need to use the right cable.  With a switch (not a router a switch) you would use straight through cables, direct to the computer a crossover would be used.

The light have nothing to do with the IP address.  Lights are link layer, layer 1 and transport layer 2.  IP is above that riding inside the Ethernet frames at Layer 3. 

You might just have a bad Ethernet port.  Are there any settings for 10/100 on the port?  Is there a chance it's 10M only and the switch and computer is 100M/1G ?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman
River Delta Audio is now:

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Helge Dr. Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 04:51:19 am »

1. Verify that the UX8800 has a static IP
2. Set the computer to a static IP address in the same range
3. Disable any wireless network cards
4. Connect computer to UX8800 directly using a crossed network cable
5. Open EAW Manager, go to connections, enter the IP address for the UX.

Now it should connect just fine.

Cornelius Qualley

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 11:30:29 am »

1. Verify that the UX8800 has a static IP
2. Set the computer to a static IP address in the same range
3. Disable any wireless network cards
4. Connect computer to UX8800 directly using a crossed network cable

I appreciate the replies. Just to clarify, while I'm not very familiar with the UX8800 yet, I'm extremely proficient in networking. I only mention that because I don't want anyone to think that I'm missing something obvious when it comes to setting the IP or understanding straight through vs. crossover cables. I've literally attempted every combination of connections I can think of--direct via crossover, though 10/100 and gigabit hubs using standard cable, and through three separate routed networks with and without DHCP. I've even tried using an old 10/100 laptop and 10/100 networking equipment to ensure there wasn't some weirdness with gigabit incompatibility, which is highly unlikely. That's why I'm so stumped. It's not as if the port is broken, as it definitely has some sort of network activity, but I can't even find the UX8800 when scanning the IP range.

The only thing I'm not clear on is the crossover cable used. I'm assuming that the EAW crossover cable has a standard crossover pinout and not some custom pinout. I've been using a standard crossover cable I have with the standard pinout:

End 1: o O g B b G br BR
End 2: g G o B b O br BR.

It really shouldn't matter since I've tried connecting through a hub and router as well (which doesn't require a crossover cable obviously). But, I'm still curious to know whether the UX8800 supplied cable is the standard pinout. Also, I'm assuming there isn't any way to connect via serial using one of the ethernet ports, right (similar to a Cisco router)? Thank for the help!

Cornelius Qualley

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 11:31:40 am »

Also, just to clarify, should I be using the standard port that is pre-entered in EAW Manger? I believe it is 30001.

Mike Ottinger

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 12:39:25 pm »

Try turning off windows firewall

Also, just to clarify, should I be using the standard port that is pre-entered in EAW Manger? I believe it is 30001.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 01:01:37 pm »

How did you acquire this UX8800?  My guess is it was sold because it quit working on the network it was used in...

It's probably a good idea to call EAW again, get an RMA and have them take a look at it.  You seem to have enough networking experience to have covered all the "usual suspects."  The RJ45 port is wired to standard, IIRC.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 01:29:06 pm »

I appreciate the replies. Just to clarify, while I'm not very familiar with the UX8800 yet, I'm extremely proficient in networking. I only mention that because I don't want anyone to think that I'm missing something obvious when it comes to setting the IP or understanding straight through vs. crossover cables. I've literally attempted every combination of connections I can think of--direct via crossover, though 10/100 and gigabit hubs using standard cable, and through three separate routed networks with and without DHCP. I've even tried using an old 10/100 laptop and 10/100 networking equipment to ensure there wasn't some weirdness with gigabit incompatibility, which is highly unlikely. That's why I'm so stumped. It's not as if the port is broken, as it definitely has some sort of network activity, but I can't even find the UX8800 when scanning the IP range.

The only thing I'm not clear on is the crossover cable used. I'm assuming that the EAW crossover cable has a standard crossover pinout and not some custom pinout. I've been using a standard crossover cable I have with the standard pinout:

End 1: o O g B b G br BR
End 2: g G o B b O br BR.

It really shouldn't matter since I've tried connecting through a hub and router as well (which doesn't require a crossover cable obviously). But, I'm still curious to know whether the UX8800 supplied cable is the standard pinout. Also, I'm assuming there isn't any way to connect via serial using one of the ethernet ports, right (similar to a Cisco router)? Thank for the help!

Sounds like you have everything covered except you said "separate routed network" Have you tried with the laptop on the same network segment?

If you put a static IP in the 8800 and connect via a simple switch to a laptop on the same segment can you ping the 8800?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman
River Delta Audio is now:

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Helge Dr. Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 04:06:25 pm »

You can force the UX8800 into update mode as a last resort.

EAW can tell you how to do it.

I've never used anyything else than the standard port.

Adam Kane

• Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 04:08:14 pm »

If you put a static IP in the 8800 and connect via a simple switch to a laptop on the same segment can you ping the 8800?

This. If it won't respond to a ping, either send it to EAW or use it as a cool-looking doorstop.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 16 queries.