ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville Ls2100 Refurbush  (Read 7255 times)

GregoryPorobil

Yorkville Ls2100 Refurbush
« on: January 11, 2018, 03:22:45 PM »

I recently acquired two Yorky Ls2100's

Both subs had blown drivers and one had a blown amp.
I figure some duratex and re-coning the B&C 21w152s will run me close to $650

But what I do not currently have a grasp on is the cost of getting the original plate amp repaired or if it is worth it?

After shipping / labor it seems like it would be cheaper to sell the one working plate amp and run it all off an a single crown amp.  After installing a feax back plate.

any input is welcome.

Much thanks. G

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: Yorkville Ls2100 Refurbush
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 05:24:14 PM »

But what I do not currently have a grasp on is the cost of getting the original plate amp repaired or if it is worth it?

After shipping / labor it seems like it would be cheaper to sell the one working plate amp and run it all off an a single crown amp. 
Gregory,

Takes some work to burn B&C 21w152s..

Considering the 2400 watt plate amp does not seem to have the proper limiting built in to protect the driver, and brand new power and DSP are cheap, seems like little reason to go with another of the questionable plate amps if it will cost more than around $250 for repair.

Art

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 08:09:15 PM »

I recently acquired two Yorky Ls2100's

Both subs had blown drivers and one had a blown amp.
I figure some duratex and re-coning the B&C 21w152s will run me close to $650

After shipping / labor it seems like it would be cheaper to sell the one working plate amp and run it all off an a single crown amp.  After installing a feax back plate.

any input is welcome.

Much thanks. G

So you voluntarily purchased 1 working plate amp and firewood with magnets?  Unless these were free they were no bargain... and I'd question the value even if they were free.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

GregoryPorobil

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 10:19:49 PM »

So you voluntarily purchased 1 working plate amp and firewood with magnets?  Unless these were free they were no bargain... and I'd question the value even if they were free.

Everything was free

id be a goof not to recone one and sell it.

it is just a little side project

I bet the yorky doesn't sound entirely awful with a little dsp. (don't exile me for those words)

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 11:08:28 PM »

I bet the yorky doesn't sound entirely awful with a little dsp. (don't exile me for those words)

These boxes got some enthusiastic reviews when then first appeared and knowing first hand how much noise an LS801p can make I was always interested in hearing this version. There was a pair of these for sale round my neck of the woods recently and I seriously considered going to have a look but I couldn't get past the 200lb curb weight which is pushing it for the 1 man operator that I am.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 03:07:45 AM »

Everything was free

id be a goof not to recone one and sell it.

it is just a little side project

Other than the weight (lots of firewood!) they got good reviews.  If both plate amps worked it would be worth it, but if you decide to make passive boxes out of them remember to compensate for any amp bucket displacement in the cabinet.  I don't recall the amp processing being touted as having any Secret Sauce to make it all good (and it sure didn't do protective limiting very well); you can probably do as well with the DSP amp of your choice.

If you "Franken-Yorkie" these, post back and let us know how they worked out.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Adam Kane

• Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 12:51:03 PM »

Other than the weight (lots of firewood!) they got good reviews.  If both plate amps worked it would be worth it, but if you decide to make passive boxes out of them remember to compensate for any amp bucket displacement in the cabinet.  I don't recall the amp processing being touted as having any Secret Sauce to make it all good (and it sure didn't do protective limiting very well); you can probably do as well with the DSP amp of your choice.

If you "Franken-Yorkie" these, post back and let us know how they worked out.

I'm really curious about how these 21's got toasted. I've used a LOT of powered Yorkville stuff over the years for rentals (lots of DJ's) and have continued to do so because they have always seemed impossible to blow up. A friend of mine attended an event where the DJ was using a pair of our 801P's and said the limit lights on both subs were lit continiously for much of the night. That was 4 years ago and that pair is still working without any repairs. I've not used the 21's yet so I can't speak to their limiting, but in the past, Yorkville always seemed to have gotten that part right and I can't imagine they'd screw up now...expecially given the price of the driver in the box. I realize that no piece of gear is completely idiot proof, but geez...I'd love to know what happened.

David Allred

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 01:19:42 PM »

I'm really curious about how these 21's got toasted. I've used a LOT of powered Yorkville stuff over the years for rentals (lots of DJ's) and have continued to do so because they have always seemed impossible to blow up. A friend of mine attended an event where the DJ was using a pair of our 801P's and said the limit lights on both subs were lit continiously for much of the night. That was 4 years ago and that pair is still working without any repairs. I've not used the 21's yet so I can't speak to their limiting, but in the past, Yorkville always seemed to have gotten that part right and I can't imagine they'd screw up now...expecially given the price of the driver in the box. I realize that no piece of gear is completely idiot proof, but geez...I'd love to know what happened.

Band pass filter +20db 20hz - 100hz,  EQ pegged, EDM?

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 02:29:32 PM »

Wow Tim!
It's a current model $2300 sub with a well-built baltic birch cabinet and a 21" B&C.  Recones are simple, so is sending an amp for repair. 
Why wouldn't that be a bargain if free?

If you have any urges to pass up or trash any gear of that caliber I'll gladly drive down there and take such matters off your hands :)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

GregoryPorobil

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 02:49:08 PM »

Tim- thanks I was wondering if that would have any effect on the sound.
        I am assuming dense insulation and a tight seal at the back would have   it sounding ok.

I am going to take the amp in next week when I order the cones.

Will post pictures of the before and after duratex etc.

As to how they were blown
- The outboard Dsp was maxed  20hz-100hz+/-   
- The IT guy logged into the processor with the Ipad and thought it would be a good idea to "turn it up"   during a heavy EDM show.
- also no limiting was implemented

Im not going to go into this place but it was bad "cluster fuk" subs everywhere , incorrectly hung Danley's over assorted yorkville subs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 02:49:08 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 21 queries.