ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shopping for front lighting...Chauvet SlimPar Q12 vs. ADJ 12P Hex  (Read 202 times)

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound, Harrisburg, PA

Currently looking to add more static front lighting to my bar rig. I want LED pars with amber (RGBA) to improve skin tone of performers. I want them to be very bright so things sparkle up there, but my budget is only $800-$1000 for 4 of them. Maybe more if I wait.

I've compared specs between Chauvet SlimPar Q12 and the ADJ 12P Hex. It seems that the Chauvet puts out nearly twice as much light at about 1/3 the power of the ADJ. Is the difference all because of beam angle? If so, which beam angle is best for small stages?

(BTW, my front light trees are usually setup where the main speakers are, some 10 to 25 feet away from the front-man. Most ceiling heights are around 10 to 14 feet. I think my light trees can reach 13'.)

SlimPar Q12 = 4,960 LUX@2M, power draw 45W, BA=17
ADJ 12P Hex = 2,770 LUX@2M, power draw 150W, BA=30
Member since 2005.

Scott Hofmann

Re: Shopping for front lighting...Chauvet SlimPar Q12 vs. ADJ 12P Hex
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 09:25:11 am »

Currently looking to add more static front lighting to my bar rig. I want LED pars with amber (RGBA) to improve skin tone of performers. I want them to be very bright so things sparkle up there, but my budget is only $800-$1000 for 4 of them. Maybe more if I wait.

I've compared specs between Chauvet SlimPar Q12 and the ADJ 12P Hex. It seems that the Chauvet puts out nearly twice as much light at about 1/3 the power of the ADJ. Is the difference all because of beam angle? If so, which beam angle is best for small stages?

(BTW, my front light trees are usually setup where the main speakers are, some 10 to 25 feet away from the front-man. Most ceiling heights are around 10 to 14 feet. I think my light trees can reach 13'.)

If you have a light mounted 10' high and have a person standing 12' away from it, you optimistically have a 13' throw (distance the light has to travel). Your 17 degree fixture will give you only about a 4' diameter circle of light; your 30 degree fixture will give you a 7' circle. With only 4 lights and generally operating in a fairly small space, the wider beamspread would work the best.
Scott Hofmann

Steve Garris

Re: Shopping for front lighting...Chauvet SlimPar Q12 vs. ADJ 12P Hex
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 02:29:06 pm »

If I switch from my current incandescent Pars to an LED for the front wash, the ADJ 5P Hex is on my list. The 30 deg beam angle and amber led's are the exact features I was looking for. I personally think the 1250 lux will be plenty for my speaker-mounted front wash. They fit within your budget.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.026 seconds with 18 queries.