ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Martin Sound Products  (Read 5894 times)

duane massey

Martin Sound Products
« on: January 09, 2018, 03:04:42 PM »

Does anyone know if Martin Sound Products closed down?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Simon_Barrett

Re: Martin Sound Products
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 05:13:13 PM »

Never heard of Martin Sound Products... Martin Audio exists as does just Martin (the latter being a manufacturer for lighting and effects).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 02:13:14 AM »

Never heard of Martin Sound Products... Martin Audio exists as does just Martin (the latter being a manufacturer for lighting and effects).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Martin Sound Products has no connection to the other companies. They were a supplier of speaker components (Eminence, PRV, Selenium, etc) that sold to qualified contractors and small OEM builders like myself. They have not answered their phones since the end of the year. If they have shut down it will be a shame.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

Franklin Benjamin

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 06:37:14 PM »

Martin Sound Products has no connection to the other companies. They were a supplier of speaker components (Eminence, PRV, Selenium, etc) that sold to qualified contractors and small OEM builders like myself. They have not answered their phones since the end of the year. If they have shut down it will be a shame.
I have not contacted them in a while but yes they are/were a great resource.  I believe they are family run business.  I wouldn't be surprised if they were on vacation as this might be their slow time.  I remember a few years back i had a similar issue with trying to get someone on the phone.

Try shooting them an email and see if you get a response.

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 06:51:39 PM »

Does anyone know if Martin Sound Products closed down?

Well, the website is down.

http://martinsoundpro.com/

John Fruits

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 07:41:33 PM »

Their FacePalm  (yes, that's a Jack Benny joke) page is still up, but the latest post there was years ago.
https://www.facebook.com/Martin-Sound-Products-429040337123872/
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 08:46:44 PM »

Their FacePalm  (yes, that's a Jack Benny joke) page is still up, but the latest post there was years ago.
https://www.facebook.com/Martin-Sound-Products-429040337123872/

Looking at that page reminds me of my youth.  We used to get the Lafayette Radio catalogs.  They sold Utah speaker components (among many other things).  Buy one, get one for 1 penny.

John Fruits

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 09:34:00 PM »

Looking at that page reminds me of my youth.  We used to get the Lafayette Radio catalogs.  They sold Utah speaker components (among many other things).  Buy one, get one for 1 penny.
There was also McGee radio sales, I think in Missouri with lots of great things including speakers.  Popular Electronics and some other magazines would post speaker plans with references to the parts at McGee.  I remember the $10 bookshelf speaker, built of pine 1 x 8.  To keep the whole thing under budget, instead of buying stain and varnish, they used paste shoe polish.  They actually looked and sounded great.
If you like old catalogs have you seen this:
http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalog_directory.html
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2018, 01:36:56 AM »

There was also McGee radio sales, I think in Missouri with lots of great things including speakers.  Popular Electronics and some other magazines would post speaker plans with references to the parts at McGee.  I remember the $10 bookshelf speaker, built of pine 1 x 8.  To keep the whole thing under budget, instead of buying stain and varnish, they used paste shoe polish.  They actually looked and sounded great.
If you like old catalogs have you seen this:
http://www.radioshackcatalogs.com/catalog_directory.html

They were in Kansas City on McGee St, a block or so from the bus station, IIRC.  They've been gone a long time; you've got a good memory.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

duane massey

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 02:12:44 AM »

I've been buying from them for decades, going back to the 70's. Bud Martin was the owner and his son, Chris, took over later. Very nice people, hopefully they are on vacation.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 02:12:44 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.