ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL VRX928's  (Read 8108 times)

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
JBL VRX928's
« on: January 09, 2018, 02:23:50 PM »

I just heard this model for the first time and I must say I was impressed.  Voice only event.  No music.

I thought they presented a very clean, high intelligibility, and good coverage.

But when I looked up what they cost - WOW!  $1500 each - 2 per side - 4 total for $6,000!  And these are passive!

I'm not sure what's inside that little speaker to make it so costly, but it did a great job.

My question:  What does a similar job for less money?

As a point of reference, I find that Meyer's have the best overall sound, and QSC's K2 series does a good job (for vocals only) for a reasonable cost.  But these are all powered.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
Re: JBL VRX928's
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 03:29:41 PM »

Complaining that JBLs cost too much and then referencing Meyer anything is always a humorous way to start a topic.  The VRX928s have a lot going for them in their niche, size, weight rigging design.  They make good front fills and hang quickly and cleanly.  Not too many wide coverage boxes out there that do that many tricks. I'm afraid its a get what you pay for world out there.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 03:38:33 PM »

I just heard this model for the first time and I must say I was impressed.  Voice only event.  No music.

I thought they presented a very clean, high intelligibility, and good coverage.

But when I looked up what they cost - WOW!  $1500 each - 2 per side - 4 total for $6,000!  And these are passive!

I'm not sure what's inside that little speaker to make it so costly, but it did a great job.

My question:  What does a similar job for less money?

As a point of reference, I find that Meyer's have the best overall sound, and QSC's K2 series does a good job (for vocals only) for a reasonable cost.  But these are all powered.

Interesting, my opinion, and the general consensus is as speakers on a stick they sound like ass.  They do improve if you hang enough of them. 

These are line array elements and stacking two of them really doesn't achieve anything other than draining your wallet and potentially looking cool to some people.

There are tons of threads for speakers on a stick that will way outperform these.  Danley SM80's and DSR-112's come to mind.  Certainly JBL's own SRX835P sounds amazing for half the price (of 2 pairs) and you get another amplifier.

Another gotcha with the VRX is processing.  To make them work you really need the Crown V5 processing available in the I-Tech HD.  You will probably get sticker shock on those too.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 10:24:42 PM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Pedd

• Gilbert, AZ
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 10:08:36 PM »

Complaining that JBLs cost too much and then referencing Meyer anything is always a humorous way to start a topic. 

We enjoy humor.  LOL!

John P. Farrell

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 01:38:10 PM »

These are line array elements

Sigh.....

They're not a line array.  They do sound ok for what they are...In a small club they work and I've used them as front fill plenty to supplement Vertec rigs.  They get loud and have the JBL bark to them.

JF
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 03:31:44 PM by John P. Farrell »
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 03:26:51 PM »

The VRX is a constant curvature array and is not a fully articulated line array.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 05:00:24 PM »

Sigh.....

They're not a line array.  They do sound ok for what they are...In a small club they work and I've used them as front fill plenty to supplement Vertec rigs.  They get loud and have the JBL bark to them.

JF

Ok, you are right, constant curvature.  Point still being is two boxes is hardly long enough to have any meaningful benefits. 

They are a little tall for a lip fill but do work ok.  As far as an SoS application, about the only thing good you can say is they are loud.  SRX is far more controlled.  By the "JBL bark" I assume you mean the icepick in the forehead peak around 2k.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve Garris

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 03:54:21 PM »

By the "JBL bark" I assume you mean the icepick in the forehead peak around 2k.

I thought that was from the Beta 58's!

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 04:12:50 PM »

I thought that was from the Beta 58's!
No that predates the Beta series.
-Try SM-58 through anything with a 2445

or even older, an alnico 1" mounted on a potato-masher!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 05:28:21 PM »

No that predates the Beta series.
-Try SM-58 through anything with a 2445

or even older, an alnico 1" mounted on a potato-masher!

The 2445 was the bane of my existence for at least 10 years.  Using my precious HF output filters on the OmniDrive for dynamic EQ...  It sounded better on a Community horn (the 60° from the Boxer series) than the JBL horn.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 05:28:21 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 22 queries.