ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Has anyone experienced this? Is it true?  (Read 8304 times)

scottstephens

Re: Has anyone experienced this? Is it true?
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 03:14:39 PM »

Thanks, Art.  Very informative. Makes me want to do some more research, but from the computer.

scott

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 03:34:28 PM »

Thanks, Art.  Very informative. Makes me want to do some more research, but from the computer.

scott
I would have to wonder if the trigger mechanism is actually the inner ear.

As someone who has had benign positional vertigo, I can tell you when it hits, you feel it full body.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 09:41:56 PM »

I would have to wonder if the trigger mechanism is actually the inner ear.

As someone who has had benign positional vertigo, I can tell you when it hits, you feel it full body.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

That makes a lot of sense.

I notice an onset of that vertigo sensation about 1/2 second before an earthquake hits (4+).  Probably fairly intense LF produced everywhere during such an event.  Think the same thing is what makes animals freak out just prior to one too.

Regarding the original post,
There wasn't anything that looked like this nearby? (attached Seismic survey truck)
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2018, 07:52:28 AM »

The Danley Matterhorn.  One of the videos has an employee standing in the throat of the horn.... you can see his clothes flap around.  Ivan would have to tell us the LF cutoff, but I think it was around 12Hz or so.

IIRC it was built on speculation to meet a proposed specification for a military unit.  I don't think the DoD ended up buying for the proposed purpose but I'd not be surprised if other military applications eventually come to mind.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbf3bzpgml8

The primary freq range the military wanted was between 15 and 19Hz or so

We do demos all the time in which we play 6Hz or so.  You can really feel it in your body and it modulates your talking.

Some people start feeling sick pretty quick.

We really thought about trying to do the brown note test (around 7hz is the "suspected" range).

HOWEVER, if you were to subject a body to the SPL that would be needed, at those freq, I HIGHLY suspect that you could cause some SERIOUS damage to other body parts.

NOW we have a real problem.  Sure, it would be fun to make somebody crap their pants, but not at the expense of ruining their life.  Not to mention the law suits etc that could come from it.

We decided it is simply not worth the experiment for others enjoyment.

But we still have fun at lower levels and low freq.

BTW, you CAN hear well below 20Hz, you just have to have a source that is clean (lack of harmonic distortion) and has enough SPL.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

drew gandy

• Chicago and burbs
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2018, 02:09:58 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbf3bzpgml8

BTW, you CAN hear well below 20Hz, you just have to have a source that is clean (lack of harmonic distortion) and has enough SPL.

I've wondered if the key to this "brown note" business is the lack of harmonics.  I would suspect that many loudspeaker based systems used for research over the past 100 years have not been able to produce sine waves down into the single digits without significant harmonics.  And it would seem to me that the harmonics could change the way the motion affects the human body.  This was one of the critiques of the Myth Busters attempt.  Just because they could get enough SPL in the right range doesn't mean that they didn't have too much SPL in another range.  But I wasn't there and it's a been a long time since I've seen that episode.   :D
As someone else mentioned, organ pipes or other method of producing those tones might be a better way to test this.

Arrogance is usually far worse than ignorance. But every once in awhile they swap places.

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2018, 07:22:01 PM »

Haha, I smell a major invention in the making.....
...where's a toilet than can play 7Hz when you need it ? ;D

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2018, 10:32:06 PM »

Haha, I smell a major invention in the making.....
...where's a toilet than can play 7Hz when you need it ? ;D

Yeah really squatty potty v2 with built in passive acoustic laxative.  Now that would be a CES worthy product.  You know you have hit old age when a good movement is more elusive than sex.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

David Allred

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2018, 07:42:54 AM »

I always assumed that the "brown note" caused loose stool, I now believe is must really just be a muscular trigger forcing a "bear down". 
A test could definitely be done to try to convert a solid to a liquid in the lab.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 01:18:12 PM by David Allred »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2018, 12:11:23 PM »

I've wondered if the key to this "brown note" business is the lack of harmonics.  I would suspect that many loudspeaker based systems used for research over the past 100 years have not been able to produce sine waves down into the single digits without significant harmonics.  And it would seem to me that the harmonics could change the way the motion affects the human body.  This was one of the critiques of the Myth Busters attempt.  Just because they could get enough SPL in the right range doesn't mean that they didn't have too much SPL in another range.  But I wasn't there and it's a been a long time since I've seen that episode.   :D
As someone else mentioned, organ pipes or other method of producing those tones might be a better way to test this.
My issue with the myth busters episode (at least as presented to the viewing audience), was a couple fold.

1: They really didn't have enough SPL at the lower freq

2: They didn't go low enough

3: The freq steps they used were way to wide.  Even 1 hz at those freq is a huge difference.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Ed Hall

• Classic LAB
  • Lansdale, PA
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 10:26:24 AM »

Does the Matterhorn still make it out to shows? Where can we hear it in person?
I can't change reality just because you don't like it!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2018, 10:26:24 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 24 queries.