ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: AVID S6L/LA-K2 my thoughts so far...  (Read 14047 times)

Aisle 6

Re: AVID S6L/LA-K2 my thoughts so far...
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2018, 07:08:32 PM »

Maybe spend some time on the offline editor prior to the gig to set up your basic show and fast track it all. This will allow you more time to experiment and customise your preferred set-up. Although, load the software while having a 1920x1080 monitor attached to the computer or it will not load. : P

It is extremely customisable and it pays to get into that and set it up properly. Although it kinda does pay to be fluent on a Profile, there are still a lot of differences and your lack of Profile time many not be a huge issue. It is no steeper a learning curve than any other console and you will like workflow once you get it right or hate it until you do.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2018, 08:08:49 PM »

Maybe spend some time on the offline editor prior to the gig to set up your basic show and fast track it all. This will allow you more time to experiment and customise your preferred set-up. Although, load the software while having a 1920x1080 monitor attached to the computer or it will not load. : P

It is extremely customisable and it pays to get into that and set it up properly. Although it kinda does pay to be fluent on a Profile, there are still a lot of differences and your lack of Profile time many not be a huge issue. It is no steeper a learning curve than any other console and you will like workflow once you get it right or hate it until you do.

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately i've already gone and done the show and returned...  :)

I did spend a good bit of time getting familiar with the desk, and there are a lot of things i like.  There are also a LOT of things i don't like, and most of them are not because the workflow is different than what i am used to.  They are what i consider to be fundamentally bad design choices from a software UI standpoint.  But if/when i get into all of that, it'll be in a new thread discussing UI design and the advantages/disadvantages to various approaches.

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Aisle 6

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2018, 06:41:06 AM »

I did spend a good bit of time getting familiar with the desk, and there are a lot of things i like.  There are also a LOT of things i don't like, and most of them are not because the workflow is different than what i am used to.  They are what i consider to be fundamentally bad design choices from a software UI standpoint.  But if/when i get into all of that, it'll be in a new thread discussing UI design and the advantages/disadvantages to various approaches.

I would like to be a part of that sort off discussion. The brainstorming session of a super GUI.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2018, 01:34:29 PM »

I would like to be a part of that sort off (sic) discussion. The brainstorming session of a super GUI.
Yeah, I as well... If only manufacturers would actually listen.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Ryan O John

• ryanojohn.com
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2018, 05:05:41 PM »

Yeah, I as well... If only manufacturers would actually listen.

I ask users literally every day what they would change, and we often do it... so what would you change? 
Ryan John
Product Manager | Avid Live Sound

Brad Harris

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2018, 05:44:31 PM »

I ask users literally every day what they would change, and we often do it... so what would you change? 

Thanks Ryan!

Theres been a few things that I've submitted and has been fixed relatively quickly in the past .... just make sure you don't break the sends on faders on a stereo send PAN assign :) Very frustrating on award/broadcast shows where I rarely get a full 2 songs in with a band I don't work with on 10 mixes of IEM :)

Brad

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2018, 02:18:57 PM »

In other words it's not that backwards compatible to laptops which don't have that resolution.

I remember combating the somewhat same issue when trying to use Meyers MAPP some years ago on a netbook, some of the buttons would appear off screen. I solved this by dialing up the resolution with some "hack", so I could scroll around on a bigger desktop than the netbook supported.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2018, 05:39:22 PM »

That's good to hear.
However, I was speaking more generally about brainstorming console UIs and that in my experience, most manufacturers do not engage in any dialog with users about why something is one way or what changes can be made to help workflow. I don't use Avid stuff enough for my opinion on them to be particularly valid, other than to say that I dislike UIs like the SC/Profile and Midas that require a mouse/cursor to access certain functions.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2018, 06:07:48 PM »

That's good to hear.
However, I was speaking more generally about brainstorming console UIs and that in my experience, most manufacturers do not engage in any dialog with users about why something is one way or what changes can be made to help workflow. I don't use Avid stuff enough for my opinion on them to be particularly valid, other than to say that I dislike UIs like the SC/Profile and Midas that require a mouse/cursor to access certain functions.

We're an Avid shop, mostly, and I've seen BEs operate the available UI in different ways.  Some are very mouse oriented and others interact mostly with the surface control and indicators; a few are hybrid.  I find I use the mouse to sweep EQs and for dealing with configuration choices and things that I'll probably not change during a performance and try to focus on the talent and surface while mixing.  The screen is for my comfort and confirmation that I'm on the right layer, channel or parameter.  I'm not sure how good I am at ignoring the screen (trying to not mix with my eyes) sometimes... ;)

I have a number of ideas about UI, both physical and virtual, but I'm not ready to discuss them publicly.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2018, 06:07:48 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.