ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: AVID S6L/LA-K2 my thoughts so far...  (Read 14155 times)

Aisle 6

Re: AVID S6L/LA-K2 my thoughts so far...
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2018, 03:56:39 PM »

Most...?  I'm seeing a lot of consumer-level laptops advertised with 4k UHD displays.  All of the Microsoft Surface "tablets" (this should not be construed as an endorsement) offer greater than 1920 x 1080 pixels.

I don't know how difficult supporting multiple resolutions can be, from a programming perspective, but understand the decision.

Dave (currently at 3840 x 2160 on a relatively inexpensive Dell)

It is a short sighted decision for sure and it is that attention to detail for all of us in the field that can make or break a console. Obviously the S6L is still selling, but I really do think that it is purely because many engineers see it as the Profile they always hoped for.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2018, 03:58:25 PM »

OMG! The S6L offline editor is so damn annoying. It will literally only boot up if you have a monitor with a resolution of 1920 x 1080. If not, then the software will not load. Windows only and 1920 x 1080 only. ...

This is the kind of stuff that makes me "Shake Fist At Cloud!!!"  Avid is certainly not the only offender but...  zillion dollar desk and THIS is what you get to edit it with?  My recent Lawo experience was similar.  Amazing capabilities, but silly little UI issues that just shouldn't happen at this level....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2018, 04:57:51 PM »

The video display resolution on the Venue v1-3.1 was a topic that came up in a number of webcasts and other seminars with Scovi.  His response was basically a shrug.  IIRC in a more private discussion he indicated there was some stability advantage to locking the display resolution.  At the time I didn't see a need to ask about resolution so let it go past.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2018, 09:37:54 PM »

This is the kind of stuff that makes me "Shake Fist At Cloud!!!"  Avid is certainly not the only offender but...  zillion dollar desk and THIS is what you get to edit it with?  My recent Lawo experience was similar.  Amazing capabilities, but silly little UI issues that just shouldn't happen at this level....

Right!?

The more expensive something is the more likely the user will be a beta tester from day one right through to the end of the product's life.

Aisle 6

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2018, 03:36:06 AM »

The video display resolution on the Venue v1-3.1 was a topic that came up in a number of webcasts and other seminars with Scovi.  His response was basically a shrug.  IIRC in a more private discussion he indicated there was some stability advantage to locking the display resolution.  At the time I didn't see a need to ask about resolution so let it go past.

I agree that on the surface it seems a little trite, but when you are in the field and only have a laptop that is a current HP model, not some el-cheapo brand and it cannot even open the offline editor for no good reason...that makes you a little angry.

Aisle 6

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 06:41:59 AM »

OK...been busy touring but now have a minute to update this post.

L'Acoustics K2 - I have slowly wrapped my head around the K2 and the following observations are apparent.
1. The mid/high cabs go very low themselves extending down to 40hz-ish. Given this, I tried some different house EQ options when dealing with low end build up. I found the overlap between the subs and the mid/high cabs a little much and made a few minor tweaks in the extreme lows of the mid/high cabs and the upper bass region of the subs. I am still undecided about my experiment as I still have not tweaked enough to confirm my findings. However I think the ideas I have here are on the money.
2. The K2 is certainly punchy and tips it's hat strongly to the legacy of the great V-DOSC system. So if you like V-DOSC, then I think that you will love K2. A V-DOSC brought into the modern world one might say.
3. Unfortunately I do not get to walk around the 7000PAX outdoor venues each day and really rely on the systems tech and others to advise me on the coverage and other aspects. Fortunately for me, the crew are incredible and equally willing to chat about these concepts and explore some of my experiments. Thank you guys.

AVID S6L - I have really been spending some serious time exploring this board and I like it as much as I hate it. : P

1. My biggest hate by far is the fact that you cannot even open the off line editor unless the monitor hooked up to the computer supports a resolution of 1920 x 1080. I hear you say that this is HD and most modern machine support this. However, you would be working as most laptops are actually a slightly strange resolution and therefore prohibit the application from even opening. Crazy stuff.
2. The built in Tap Tempo button is in an awful location....just saying. You ca however program other buttons to be tap, but the board does have a dedicated tap button.
3. This board is really not a walk up board and you have to really have a base show and a couple of custom layer layouts completed.
4. On a positive note, the buttons below each fader can be programmed to achieve many, many things including automated tasks. So big tick for those willing to spend the time.
5. The big improvements are definitely sonics and headroom. Thank God for more headroom on an AVID board. It is immediately noticeable and the results are much better. So big tick there AVID.
6. I really just think that I need a lot more time on this board to understand it, but unfortunately I do not have the time or the patience to do this. If I do not get into the vibe in 6 weeks, then...

Ryan O John

• ryanojohn.com
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2018, 04:44:03 PM »

It is a short sighted decision for sure and it is that attention to detail for all of us in the field that can make or break a console.

It was either write the software again to run on a lower resolution (it's not as simple as 'scaling' it, everything is built in pixels, not vectors), or release it as is (you're literally running the console software on your computer).  So the decision was made to continue developing the desk rather than re-developing the standalone software. 
Ryan John
Product Manager | Avid Live Sound

richard_cooper

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2018, 05:35:10 PM »

It was either write the software again to run on a lower resolution (it's not as simple as 'scaling' it, everything is built in pixels, not vectors), or release it as is (you're literally running the console software on your computer).  So the decision was made to continue developing the desk rather than re-developing the standalone software.

Lack of proper planning in the development process? A lot of software today is built to scale.

Surely you'd have realised a console of this scale would have needed a useable off line editor. Sorry Avid... FAIL, not good enough.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 05:37:27 PM by richard_cooper »

Ryan O John

• ryanojohn.com
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2018, 04:57:58 PM »

Lack of proper planning in the development process? A lot of software today is built to scale.

Surely you'd have realised a console of this scale would have needed a useable off line editor. Sorry Avid... FAIL, not good enough.

Or it's that typically scalable-GUI is less stable.  but ok.
Ryan John
Product Manager | Avid Live Sound

Aisle 6

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 05:55:42 PM »

Or it's that typically scalable-GUI is less stable.  but ok.

I have owned many Avid products both studio and live for many many years and continue too use them. There is a lot to like about the S6L for sure, but it is all the small "in the field" functionality that either makes or breaks a console for me now. Many digital consoles now sound quite good and the real litmus test is their usability in the field. I am not talking about a show that has been fully programmed and vetted prior to tour, but the little things in the heat of battle or the shift in user function that may be required for the show.

With Profile becoming the festival board of choice for being a walk up board I was a little taken aback that the S6L was not a walk up board. Very powerful and after the right set up, very nice to use.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2018, 05:55:42 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 22 queries.