ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: AVID S6L/LA-K2 my thoughts so far...  (Read 14052 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: AVID S6L/LA-K2 my thoughts so far...
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2018, 06:12:07 PM »

Or it's that typically scalable-GUI is less stable.  but ok.

Hi Ryan-

So when will we see an "S4L" or similar mid-line offering?  We're buying consoles and would like to continue our Avid Venue purchases but for a regional firm that can't line-item the FOH console the S6L represents too much *unrecoverable* money.

Tell us there is something in the pipeline for delivery beginning in 90-120 days. Our checkbook is open.

Edit ps:  I guess I should have read your reply to the other thread.  So when did Scovi give up his cane?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2018, 06:14:27 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ryan O John

• ryanojohn.com
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2018, 07:32:50 PM »

But what about an S6L makes it more complicated than a profile to walk up to?

All of the advanced features are optional, and every profile function is there, in the same workflow it has been for years, including loading all of those show files, with barely any conversion loss (I guess you could lose local IO 9-16, but that’s about it)

I have owned many Avid products both studio and live for many many years and continue too use them. There is a lot to like about the S6L for sure, but it is all the small "in the field" functionality that either makes or breaks a console for me now. Many digital consoles now sound quite good and the real litmus test is their usability in the field. I am not talking about a show that has been fully programmed and vetted prior to tour, but the little things in the heat of battle or the shift in user function that may be required for the show.

With Profile becoming the festival board of choice for being a walk up board I was a little taken aback that the S6L was not a walk up board. Very powerful and after the right set up, very nice to use.
Ryan John
Product Manager | Avid Live Sound

Ryan O John

• ryanojohn.com
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2018, 07:35:46 PM »

Official Announcement in a few days, but here’s this for now:

https://www.facebook.com/AvidLiveSound/posts/10155602473123892

Hi Ryan-

So when will we see an "S4L" or similar mid-line offering?  We're buying consoles and would like to continue our Avid Venue purchases but for a regional firm that can't line-item the FOH console the S6L represents too much *unrecoverable* money.

Tell us there is something in the pipeline for delivery beginning in 90-120 days. Our checkbook is open.

Edit ps:  I guess I should have read your reply to the other thread.  So when did Scovi give up his cane?
Ryan John

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2018, 08:14:47 PM »

Official Announcement in a few days, but here’s this for now:

https://www.facebook.com/AvidLiveSound/posts/10155602473123892

Facebook?  I feel so unclean....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Aisle 6

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2018, 06:48:28 PM »

But what about an S6L makes it more complicated than a profile to walk up to?

All of the advanced features are optional, and every profile function is there, in the same workflow it has been for years, including loading all of those show files, with barely any conversion loss (I guess you could lose local IO 9-16, but that’s about it)

Walking up to one in a festival environment with your old Profile show loaded is very slow to navigate layers. Using the universe window could take up to 3 button presses to get to DCA's from the input window. That is, no layer buttons next to the faders and no dedicated master section. I do realise that this sacrifice makes it infinitely more flexible but without a custom set up, it is not a walk up board. Sure, you could customise the show prior to the gig with the offline editor...that is if I was not on the road on a laptop and unable to load the offline editor because of the laptops resolution. Hope that makes more sense.
Did I enjoy the board once my show was fully customised...yes! Was it frustrating as a walk up board...yes!

Ryan O John

• ryanojohn.com
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2018, 12:18:10 AM »

There IS a dedicated master section, unless you choose To make it no longer a master.

16 VCAs are on the first page on the MLM fader control if you have the console in split mode “profile mode” or one button press (VCAs button on MLM) to see 32 of them on faders, and one button press in the universe screen on the MTS.

Custom layouts were never available on profile, instead the faders were laid out in channel order, this is completely preserved on the first 4 switches on the MLM fader navigation, they’re in every way identical to Fader layers A, B, C, D.

I absolutely understand that the system is visually intimidating, but I have trouble understanding what about it is complex when comparing to a profile.

I get the frustration with the offline editor, that bothered me too for a while (turns out all macs newer than 2012 can run it on virtual machines).

Walking up to one in a festival environment with your old Profile show loaded is very slow to navigate layers. Using the universe window could take up to 3 button presses to get to DCA's from the input window. That is, no layer buttons next to the faders and no dedicated master section. I do realise that this sacrifice makes it infinitely more flexible but without a custom set up, it is not a walk up board. Sure, you could customise the show prior to the gig with the offline editor...that is if I was not on the road on a laptop and unable to load the offline editor because of the laptops resolution. Hope that makes more sense.
Did I enjoy the board once my show was fully customised...yes! Was it frustrating as a walk up board...yes!
Ryan John

Aisle 6

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2018, 08:22:38 PM »

There IS a dedicated master section, unless you choose To make it no longer a master.

16 VCAs are on the first page on the MLM fader control if you have the console in split mode “profile mode” or one button press (VCAs button on MLM) to see 32 of them on faders, and one button press in the universe screen on the MTS.

Good to know. I was a little surprised that my Profile show came up so very different on the S6L. Possibly the production supplier was also on a learning curve. This is then likely the rub. The board is so customisable, which is a huge positive, that it takes away a degree of simplicity. We all want our cake and eat it too. ; )

I get the frustration with the offline editor, that bothered me too for a while (turns out all macs newer than 2012 can run it on virtual machines).

Good to know.

Ryan O John

• ryanojohn.com
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2018, 12:02:06 PM »

I’ll be out your way later this year, I’m more than happy to do a mini-training/have-a-beer, I’m always interested in hearing people’s first impression. 

Good to know. I was a little surprised that my Profile show came up so very different on the S6L. Possibly the production supplier was also on a learning curve. This is then likely the rub. The board is so customisable, which is a huge positive, that it takes away a degree of simplicity. We all want our cake and eat it too. ; )

Good to know.
Ryan John

Aisle 6

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2018, 05:32:23 PM »

I’ll be out your way later this year, I’m more than happy to do a mini-training/have-a-beer, I’m always interested in hearing people’s first impression.

Sounds like a plan. Obviously I am impacted by my experience and that experience is also impacted by the knowledge base of the supplier or system techs. I would be very grateful to discuss my reservations with someone who has a deeper understanding of the board...and i never say no to a beer. ; )

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2018, 09:01:18 PM »

At the risk of resurrecting a necro thread...

Looks like i've been tasked with baby-sitting a VI7000 and a s6l [ironically with a LA-K2 rig] at FOH for a festival late next week.  I've got some time on VI consoles [and that's just the headliners desk, so that should be easy enough since i expect they'll walk in, load their show, and go] but all the other acts are using the Avid.  I have about 3.71 seconds on an SC48 and not much other experience on Profile desks.

Good news:  I'm not mixing anything.  Just babysitting FOH for the BEs.

Bad News:  I'm sure i'll need to know how to load show files and do basic routing stuff in case something doesn't quite come up right, since a Profile was on the original spec so i think most of the files will actually be from Profiles.

Good news:  I've got a day and a half of prep to play with the desk in the shop before it goes out.

So.  I'll figure out the obvious stuff.  Not my first rodeo.   But from those of you steeped in the Way of Avidtm what are some typical gotchas to look out for?  And are there any really good resources for this desk other than the obvious RTFM?

Thanks to all....

p.s.  Don't ask how i got a gig babysitting a console i dislike and one i barely know.  My life is weird...
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2018, 09:01:18 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 18 queries.