ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: AVID S6L/LA-K2 my thoughts so far...  (Read 14044 times)

Aisle 6

AVID S6L/LA-K2 my thoughts so far...
« on: January 08, 2018, 07:01:33 AM »

Well I started a tour this last weekend that will go for the next 4 months. I am not mixing the headliner, so the production choice was above me, although discussion was had with me to make sure that it will work for everyone. The system supplier is excellent, so that is great.
System is an AVID S6L driving an L'Acoustics K2 PA system. Now this is my first outing on both elements. Although I have both used and owned an AVID Profile, so at least the basic console operation is similar...kinda.

So the L'Acoustics K2 definitely has some power and being a fan of V-DOSC, it falls into a similar voicing, but with more power and a smoother response. As for the AVID S6L. I am very quickly learning the system and it is a lot cleaner and more responsive than the Profile...thank God! Although the layout is customisable to a point, I am still fiddling to find the layout that works best for me, I find it incredibly frustrating that you cannot custom layout the master section. At least that is what I have been led to believe. So the little screen above the centre section is where you navigate to the layers on each fader bank. Not in love with that system I must say. We have been trained to respond to layer buttons beside each fader bank and AVID has taken this away. Hmmm! So I want to have my VCA/DCA faders on the top layer with my groups on the layer below and my matrixes on the layer below that. This does not seem possible and to navigate from VCA's to Groups is several button presses. I may be wrong here, but if not, come on AVID!

They seem to have the responsiveness, the tone and the power that is missing in the Profile and it is quite customisable, but the master section and the layer navigation is a little frustrating. Hoping that it will make sense as the tour progresses, because apart from that, I am quite liking the board.

Anyone out there have any comment on something that I may be missing here?

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
Re: AVID S6L/LA-K2 my thoughts so far...
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 07:26:12 AM »

They seem to have the responsiveness, the tone and the power that is missing in the Profile and it is quite customisable, but the master section and the layer navigation is a little frustrating. Hoping that it will make sense as the tour progresses, because apart from that, I am quite liking the board.

Thanks for your impressions of using the SL6.  Please keep us informed as you use it more.  Good luck on your tour.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Aisle 6

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 08:19:56 AM »

Will do Bill. I also just watched a video and...yes I read part of the manual. : P
Looks like there is no way to reassign the order vertical layers, but you can set up a kind of custom layer and m are several of these. Then you can quickly toggle between layouts. Looks like I will try this first and see if I like it.

So far the positives are that it is much more responsive than a Profile. That is, when you tweak 0.5db on an EQ band, you can really hear it and so it is with the dynamics. Much more finesse about the sonic signature. SO that is a very good start. Now I just need to get as fast as I am on on a Profile or D-Live.

Chrysander 'C.R.' Young

• North Central FL
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 12:12:24 PM »

Scott, if you are permitted to do so, I would love to see some pictures of your setup and ongoing impressions as you get more used to the system.  I don't get to play with the big boy sound stuff much and would love to see how you are using your gear.

Aisle 6

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 05:53:27 PM »

Scott, if you are permitted to do so, I would love to see some pictures of your setup and ongoing impressions as you get more used to the system.  I don't get to play with the big boy sound stuff much and would love to see how you are using your gear.

Sure, can do. I have loaded one of my shows from an AVID Profile onto the S6L to give me a starting point. It loaded pretty well, but there were a few little bugs. A couple of plug ins were switched in their order on some groups. Overall though, it was pretty straight forward. I will post more as I get the set up down.

Aisle 6

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 06:05:07 PM »

OMG! The S6L offline editor is so damn annoying. It will literally only boot up if you have a monitor with a resolution of 1920 x 1080. If not, then the software will not load. Windows only and 1920 x 1080 only. This is not a real problem for desk top computers, but a real problem for most laptops as their inbuilt monitors do not usually support that resolution. Only high end laptops can scale to this.

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 10:07:03 PM »

OMG! The S6L offline editor is so damn annoying. It will literally only boot up if you have a monitor with a resolution of 1920 x 1080. If not, then the software will not load. Windows only and 1920 x 1080 only. This is not a real problem for desk top computers, but a real problem for most laptops as their inbuilt monitors do not usually support that resolution. Only high end laptops can scale to this.

It wouldn't be an Avid console if everything worked as you would expect it to.

Aisle 6

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 05:46:54 AM »

It wouldn't be an Avid console if everything worked as you would expect it to.

😂😂😂

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 10:49:35 AM »

This is not a real problem for desk top computers, but a real problem for most laptops as their inbuilt monitors do not usually support that resolution. Only high end laptops can scale to this.

Most...?  I'm seeing a lot of consumer-level laptops advertised with 4k UHD displays.  All of the Microsoft Surface "tablets" (this should not be construed as an endorsement) offer greater than 1920 x 1080 pixels.

I don't know how difficult supporting multiple resolutions can be, from a programming perspective, but understand the decision.

Dave (currently at 3840 x 2160 on a relatively inexpensive Dell)
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Andrew Hastings

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 12:18:00 PM »

Hi Scott

Totally agree with you on this
re the monitor with a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

Where is the like button  :) :)

Glenn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 12:18:00 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.