ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: We All Know What "Assume" Means, Right?  (Read 6745 times)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
Re: We All Know What "Assume" Means, Right?
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2018, 11:25:21 AM »

We have a bunch of the OA Windsor single-gang power boxes that have Neutrik PowerCon connectors on either side.

Our jumper cables for the boxes have Neutrik PowerCon connectors on both sides, similar to a speaker cable.

You can probably guess what we've had happen when other folks volunteer to "help" with set-up... I've seen a number of people trying to jam speaker cables into the power boxes and vice-versa (power cables into the back of speakers).

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2018, 12:04:11 PM »

We have a bunch of the OA Windsor single-gang power boxes that have Neutrik PowerCon connectors on either side.

Our jumper cables for the boxes have Neutrik PowerCon connectors on both sides, similar to a speaker cable.

You can probably guess what we've had happen when other folks volunteer to "help" with set-up... I've seen a number of people trying to jam speaker cables into the power boxes and vice-versa (power cables into the back of speakers).

I have a little speech for local hands, volunteers, anyone helping/handling our stuff.  The important parts:

1) Safety stuff (snipped, irrelevant to this topic)

2) NOTHING you all will be asked to do requires the use of pliers, knives, or force greater than the 3rd grade student could apply (and I don't mean your cousin Jim-Bob, who is still in the 3rd grade at age 37).  If something seems to need more OOMPH, get one of my crew to check.

3) As part of 2 above, many connections have keyways that prevent mis-connection.  If a connection does not easily mate and turn, get someone on my crew to check.  DO NOT USE FORCE to make any connection.

3) ASK before doing something you were not previously told to do.  Stuff gets done in a particular order and sequence and doing something early can makes something later more difficult or dangerous.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2018, 06:21:08 PM »

I have a little speech for local hands, volunteers, anyone helping/handling our stuff.  The important parts:

1) Safety stuff (snipped, irrelevant to this topic)

2) NOTHING you all will be asked to do requires the use of pliers, knives, or force greater than the 3rd grade student could apply (and I don't mean your cousin Jim-Bob, who is still in the 3rd grade at age 37).  If something seems to need more OOMPH, get one of my crew to check.

3) As part of 2 above, many connections have keyways that prevent mis-connection.  If a connection does not easily mate and turn, get someone on my crew to check.  DO NOT USE FORCE to make any connection.

3) ASK before doing something you were not previously told to do.  Stuff gets done in a particular order and sequence and doing something early can makes something later more difficult or dangerous.

Hi Tim,

We're lucky to have just one thing that we do (our band) and a group of people for stage crew that were trained by me on what to do and what not to do.

With that said, at times, people will forget and unplug things that should remain patched and stowed in the FOH/IEM/RF rack (nice and compact.)

One can always tell who was on strike when you go to the next show (some have more capacity for detail at the end of the evening than others) and sometimes, the "make it all fit in the van" idea rules. Small things that make a big difference... Like having the K&M speaker poles from the sub to the tops being the last thing put in the drum hardware case so that they are the first thing you get to when setting up... Otherwise, one has to empty the case to get to them - Sheesh! Little things that add time to setup are my nemesis.

Also, we never use volunteers. I tell them that they are not insured (only the crew we have on every gig is) and really, it's more of a PITA than it is worth. I'm sure they mean well, but it's just not worth it to us.

Have a great 2018!

Best regards,
Bob Charest

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2018, 04:40:17 PM »

Hi Tim,

We're lucky to have just one thing that we do (our band) and a group of people for stage crew that were trained by me on what to do and what not to do.

With that said, at times, people will forget and unplug things that should remain patched and stowed in the FOH/IEM/RF rack (nice and compact.)

One can always tell who was on strike when you go to the next show (some have more capacity for detail at the end of the evening than others) and sometimes, the "make it all fit in the van" idea rules. Small things that make a big difference... Like having the K&M speaker poles from the sub to the tops being the last thing put in the drum hardware case so that they are the first thing you get to when setting up... Otherwise, one has to empty the case to get to them - Sheesh! Little things that add time to setup are my nemesis.

Also, we never use volunteers. I tell them that they are not insured (only the crew we have on every gig is) and really, it's more of a PITA than it is worth. I'm sure they mean well, but it's just not worth it to us.

Have a great 2018!

Best regards,
Bob Charest

It's not always the volunteers or local crew that causes problems.  I was crew chief at a local venue for a sound company load-out into their 53' trailer.  When we got to the end of the trailer at 1AM about 4' - 6' of gear was left.  The first things loaded were the subs, and their crew had my guys load the subs in flat instead of on end.  We had to totally unload the trailer and reload it correctly.  We didn't get out of the venue until after 6 AM.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2018, 10:14:36 PM »

Geez, that stinks! I guess I’ve got it easy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 01:33:04 AM »

It's not always the volunteers or local crew that causes problems.  I was crew chief at a local venue for a sound company load-out into their 53' trailer.  When we got to the end of the trailer at 1AM about 4' - 6' of gear was left.  The first things loaded were the subs, and their crew had my guys load the subs in flat instead of on end.  We had to totally unload the trailer and reload it correctly.  We didn't get out of the venue until after 6 AM.

6am?  He should have bought breakfast for the crew.  Seriously.  I hope you have premium time after midnight...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2018, 01:33:04 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.