ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Experience with Yamaha DXS15?  (Read 1984 times)

Bradford "BJ" James

Experience with Yamaha DXS15?
« on: January 06, 2018, 11:55:50 am »

I have TH118's, but don't dry hire those.)

I'm looking for a compact sub that dry hire customers will be happy with and perhaps I could use as a drum sub under a DSR112.
Looking for insight from users, or even suggestions on compact powered subs in the same price bracket. I'm a Yamaha dealer but have never used these ones. Had KW181's, but they are a bit large for this purpose.
Thanks. BJ
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville Sound and more.

Chris Doyle

Re: Experience with Yamaha DXS15?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 01:04:14 pm »

I'm looking for a compact sub that dry hire customers will be happy with and perhaps I could use as a drum sub under a DSR112.
Looking for insight from users, or even suggestions on compact powered subs in the same price bracket. I'm a Yamaha dealer but have never used these ones. Had KW181's, but they are a bit large for this purpose.
Thanks. BJ
I have one DXS15 and we use it with JBL Eon612s as mains and we get a good sound out of them.  We play small to medium size rooms as well as outdoor gigs and we have never had to turn the sub up to full to get enough volume.  I would like to pick up another one, but truthfully we don't need it and I can't really justify the cost and added gear to haul.  I would definitely recommend it without reservation.  I love Yamaha in general, and own many of their products including an old mixer, an ekit and various others and none have ever let me down.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 07:52:00 pm »

I have a pair that get used with my DXR12s on smaller gigs.
Always get compliments.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.
Inventor.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 11:04:54 pm »

Thanks. BJ
Well .... I think they would sound fine .... just not very loud.  In my own experience, a single DSR112 can hold its own with a pair of PRX718xlf's .... each of which would easily out-perform a single DXS15.  In my personal comparisons, an XLF is about equal to the KW181's in output, so that should give you a frame of reference ( I have a neighbor that owns a pair).

If you need a place to store your TH118's, let me know ;)

Chris Grimshaw

• Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 03:43:41 am »

I found they got fairly loud, but didn't drop low. Plenty of 60Hz, nothing much at 40Hz. Fine for live bands, but DJs might miss the octave below.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Garry Wilson

• Laurel, MD
    • 98.6 Sound
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 02:39:31 pm »

Thanks. BJ

BJ,

I bought mine to be used primarily as a drum sub. I wanted a 15" to cut down on the size and weight,opposed to an 18". It would also be used with a pair of DXR12's for small DJ/PA gigs. Well, for me it just wasn't enough in the drum sub role. After a couple more tries and months, I bought a JBL PRX815XLF. I tried the JBL715 earlier, but didn't like its tone, it only has a fixed 100hz crossover point, unlike the Yamaha's (3) selections. The 815's crossover is 80hz and to me sounds better than the 715.

My first run with the JBL815 was a small outdoor festival, I was ridiculously pleased. I'm ready to sell the Yamaha, it's in excellent condition and I bought the Yamaha cover for it too. For a dry rental, I think it's fine.

Garry W
Garry W.
CTS, SBE-CEV
www.986sound.com

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 04:33:12 pm »

Good to know it's shortcomings. Thanks for the replies and info everyone.
I think for it's size, it should be fine so I'm going to order a pair. Worst case, I don't like'em and I'll sell'em.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville Sound and more.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 10:01:47 pm »

If you're in the SF bay area you might borrow mine.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.
Inventor.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 10:12:17 pm »

If you're in the SF bay area you might borrow mine.
Thanks for the offer, but Iím in the great white north.

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 01:19:27 pm »

Quick update. Shortly after I originally posted this, Yamaha released the new MKII series of DXS12 and 15. On paper the DXS12MKII looks like a real performer. Looks loud and maybe not as low as most 18's, but for dry hire's the spec's look good. I ordered a pair to try out and they arrived today. Gotta say, from initial listening I'm not disappointed. It's really small and really loud. And sounds good. I played some kik heavy drum tracks as loud as I could stand in the little retail area of my shop and no clip light came on.
Will update this as I get some to test it against some others.
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 18 queries.