ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Pyle headset mic users...question  (Read 4606 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
Pyle headset mic users...question
« on: January 02, 2018, 05:30:07 PM »

I am considering getting some Pyle PMEMSN12 headset mics for a musical production.
Has anyone used them with Sennheiser transmitters and did you have any issue with overloading the input to the TX?

I did have this problem with the first gen of the HS2 Rode mic. Gen 2 were fine.
I need something to fit smaller heads (children) and are cheap and cheerful. (not the children...)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
Re: Pyle headset mic users...question
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 09:08:02 PM »

I am considering getting some Pyle PMEMSN12 headset mics for a musical production.
Has anyone used them with Sennheiser transmitters and did you have any issue with overloading the input to the TX?

I did have this problem with the first gen of the HS2 Rode mic. Gen 2 were fine.
I need something to fit smaller heads (children) and are cheap and cheerful. (not the children...)
Keith, when we do High School shows or Jr. High shows we use the PyLe over-ear.  The work great and they hold up much better then the Countrymann E6.  The sound is quite as good, but for under $30 you are getting a heck of a deal.  I haven’t had them over-load unless someone is screaming into the mic.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 12:02:37 AM »

Hi Keith!

Are you using the G2 or the G3 Sennheiser wireless? I don't recall having worked with a mic (or a singer) that made me bottom out the sensitivity on a G3 transmitter (with its extra 30dB of "sensitivity" adjustment) to prevent an overload, even with headsets/face-worn lavs.

(That being said, I've definitely worked on shows with a combination of both G2 and G3 and had to get strategic about figuring out which singers were going to need a little extra attenuation at the transmitter...)

-Russ

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 06:40:38 AM »

I don't recall having worked with a mic (or a singer) that made me bottom out the sensitivity on a G3 transmitter (with its extra 30dB of "sensitivity" adjustment) to prevent an overload, even with headsets/face-worn lavs.

G3 and, unfortunately,  I have had overload even with the TX set as low as possible.
Unknown to me, I had 12 1st gen and 12 2nd gen Rode HS2 mics and it took some time to work with Rode and figure out the problem. The first gen put out too much level for the G3 TX pack. Rode stepped up and replaced all the gen 1 mics for free. Good customer service.

I did order a couple of Polder mics from China and I notice they have a higher output than the HS2 mics so I want to get real world results from users of the Pyle product.
They certainly look more robust than the Polder .

I will order one for testing.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 11:36:39 AM »

If you go that route order half again as many as you need.  I've used them as thow away mics on school musicals and the like and its rare that I can't get the gain in the pocket with the adjustment range on the UHF-R belt packs.  Sorry, no idea on the Sennheisers but the mics are not as mechanically robust as E6s.  Mic booms and the imitation TA4 connectors break easily.  I've found the Microphone Madness mics to be a much better E6 replacement.

David Allred

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 01:24:42 PM »

Mic booms and the imitation TA4 connectors break easily.  I've found the Microphone Madness mics to be a much better E6 replacement.

Have I been using mine wrong over the (y)ears? :o

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 04:19:38 PM »

If you go that route order half again as many as you need.  I've used them as thow away mics on school musicals and the like and its rare that I can't get the gain in the pocket with the adjustment range on the UHF-R belt packs.  Sorry, no idea on the Sennheisers but the mics are not as mechanically robust as E6s.  Mic booms and the imitation TA4 connectors break easily.  I've found the Microphone Madness mics to be a much better E6 replacement.
Thanks for the tip.
I checked Mic Madness and for the price of 1 of those I can get 5 Pyles so even at double what I need, the Pyle is more cost effective.
I am looking at these as a 1 week show, consumable item, replaced each year.
The Mic Mad headsets look like a nice alternative to an E6 for rentals.
The 22 Rode HS2s  have been just fine for the adults but on children, I need something easier to fit so I ordered a Pyle for testing.
Will report on results with Senny packs.

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 04:23:10 PM »

Something else I should have mentioned is that the mic boom on the Pyles is a good inch longer than an E6 so it sticks out a bit on a child sized head.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 04:31:59 PM »

Something else I should have mentioned is that the mic boom on the Pyles is a good inch longer than an E6 so it sticks out a bit on a child sized head.
Hmmmmm.....that could be a problem.
Well, that's why I only bought 1 for now. :)

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 06:00:41 PM »

Hmmmmm.....that could be a problem.
Well, that's why I only bought 1 for now. :)
Swoop the boom curve lower along the jaw line...that’s what I do when I get the earset mics that are meant for horses.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 06:00:41 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.