ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Some more spectrum repack docs...  (Read 8470 times)

Aram Piligian

Some more spectrum repack docs...
« on: January 02, 2018, 04:40:54 PM »

Happy New Year! 

With the new year comes purchasing season, so I've been compiling some of the spectrum repack data for a variety of cities, in an effort to have answers to the whats, whens, and whys from management.  In this post you'll find a png (full quality PDF linked with other files) with an overview of the rollout phases for a few major market cities, as well as a link to a folder of Pete Erskine's Wireless Planner for each of those cities.  I've added some of the missing Shure gear as well, though newer offerings from other manufacturers are likely absent. 

Process (how'd I come up with these?)

-First, I used http://otadtv.com/tvtower/index.html to find current TV stations in a 50mi radius of major city centers

-Next, I used this documentation from the FCC on public safety bands in major cities

-On the FCC's Incentive Auction Data Files site, I found the Tableau Reader file which gives a map view of stations that are changing during the repack.  I selected a 50mi radius of the major city centers and saved the resulting list of stations undergoing changes.

-Finally, I cross-referenced my initial results with the repack list, and made it look pretty.

Please let me know if you find any errors--digging up this stuff can be tedious and I'm sure there's mistakes and omissions.  These are living documents; I'd love to improve and maintain them going forward with the help and collaboration of others.

Cheers,
Aram

One Drive Excel version of Spectrum Repack Overview

Link to Spectrum Repack Overview PDF

Link to Wireless Planner Files *Note--these are macro-enabled excel files, so you'll have to download them instead of viewing them in browser.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 03:12:27 PM by Aram Piligian »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Some more spectrum repack docs...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2018, 12:21:46 PM »

Thanks, Aram.  I posted a link to this thread over at Control Booth.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Aram Piligian

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2018, 03:39:08 PM »

Cool! 

Following up on this, RF Venue asked me to write a guest blog post giving it some context.  It can be found here.

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2018, 06:09:40 PM »

Cool! 

Following up on this, RF Venue asked me to write a guest blog post giving it some context.  It can be found here.
Thank you, Aram!

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 07:31:15 PM »

This is a repost of a terrific RF Venue article.  NOTE that in Dallas there is virtually no spectrum left.

In today's guest post from Aram Piligian of IMS Technology Services, the broadcast spectrum repack is covered in detail, with an important free download and other resource links covering rollout phases in major metropolitan areas.

I highly recommend sharing this with your team so you can anticipate these important changes that will have a direct impact on your operations of wireless mics and IEMs going forward.

FCC phase rollout schedule for broadcast repack.pngRead Here
As always, if I can answer any questions or assist in your preparations for this transition just reply to this email.  There are a number of techniques and tools available including affordable spectrum analysis and RF filtering that will be must-haves in the RF toolkit moving forward as more wireless devices compete for less spectrum.

And to get in touch with the pros at IMS Technology Services directly for your next project be sure to CLICK HERE.

Regards,

Chris Regan

CEO
RF Venue, Inc,

« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 07:35:55 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Aram Piligian

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 11:21:46 AM »

Hey Pete, thanks for the kind words.  Working from your spectrum planner document got the ball rolling for this, so thanks for the inspiration! 

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2019, 02:13:37 PM »

Phase 6 ends tomorrow Oct 18. So for those in the Chicago area looks like 14 stations will make the switchover tomorrow. I expect I’ll be getting lots of phone calls asking why the system that has worked for us for years now doesn’t work ;)

Anyway, if you would like to see this in action it looks like we have 4 public WaveTower scanners operating in and around Chicago. If you would like to see live before and after scans you can go here and sign up for a free account.

https://www.rfvenue.com/wavetower

Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 07:44:50 PM »

Phase 6 ends tomorrow Oct 18. So for those in the Chicago area looks like 14 stations will make the switchover tomorrow. I expect I’ll be getting lots of phone calls asking why the system that has worked for us for years now doesn’t work ;)

As it turned out the FCC had tweaked the phase schedule a bit, and all of the phase 8 stations moved as well.  Surprise!  We only found out about that a couple days in advance.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 07:44:50 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.