ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble getting monitor levels up with X18  (Read 8660 times)

Chris Doyle

Trouble getting monitor levels up with X18
« on: January 01, 2018, 07:19:16 PM »

We recently started using a Behringer X18 at our gigs and we're still learning it.  One thing that's been an issue is that we can't get much volume out of our powered monitors without feedback.  At our last gig we used 3 monitors, and we had a guy running sound from a laptop out front, and while he wasn't familiar with the XAir Edit app, he does know sound and what he was able to figure out was that, although we have the 3 monitors connected to 3 separate aux outs, it seemed like all 3 monitors were being controlled by all 3 Busses.  I don't know how that can be, but I can certainly see how that would cause the feedback issue we are having. If we could sort that out, I bet we could get a lot more volume out of the monitors before feedback.  Anyone seen this issue and have a solution?

Jay Marr

Re: Trouble getting monitor levels up with X18
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2018, 08:15:44 PM »

We recently started using a Behringer X18 at our gigs and we're still learning it.  One thing that's been an issue is that we can't get much volume out of our powered monitors without feedback.  At our last gig we used 3 monitors, and we had a guy running sound from a laptop out front, and while he wasn't familiar with the XAir Edit app, he does know sound and what he was able to figure out was that, although we have the 3 monitors connected to 3 separate aux outs, it seemed like all 3 monitors were being controlled by all 3 Busses.  I don't know how that can be, but I can certainly see how that would cause the feedback issue we are having. If we could sort that out, I bet we could get a lot more volume out of the monitors before feedback.  Anyone seen this issue and have a solution?

Are your monitors set to Post Fader?
I don't have an X18 any longer, otherwise I'd have you post/email a scene that I could upload.

If you don't get much traction here, I would post on the Behringer forum and someone will definitely upload your scene and tell you what's going with it.

But I'll say that in the short time with a X18, I had no problem with monitor send levels.

Chris Doyle

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2018, 08:43:16 PM »

I don't have an X18 any longer, otherwise I'd have you post/email a scene that I could upload.

If you don't get much traction here, I would post on the Behringer forum and someone will definitely upload your scene and tell you what's going with it.

But I'll say that in the short time with a X18, I had no problem with monitor send levels.
The monitors are set to Pre-EQ.

Jay Marr

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 10:16:04 PM »

The monitors are set to Pre-EQ.

Set to post fader and see how it sounds.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 10:43:30 PM »

Pre or post EQ - your choice but definitely pre fader so the mains does not affect the monitors.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 11:49:35 PM »

You can email me your scene file and I will take a look at routing and such if you want. I run an XR18 regularly. My email is my first name dot last name at gmail.

Have you looked through the X air how to videos on YouTube? Lots of good info there.

Ringing out monitors with the peq and rta is really easy and effective. What control surface are you using? Android with mixing station pro is the way to go IMO.

Can you share what model monitors you are using?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 01:46:05 AM »

Hi Chris, welcome to the LAB Lounge.

I suggest you take up David W's offer to look over your scene/show file.  In the heat of the moment it's easy to overlook things and a second set of eyes -even a couple days later- can be a Very Good Thing.

My $$ is on a the type of bus - variable or fixed - these mixes were.  If the bus is fixed it acts like the "sub-group" on an analog mixer, the signal goes from the pick off point in the channel strip without engaging the "aux" knob (old analog equiv).  Only the Mix Master fader will affect the output level.

Our shop has the Midas version of this mixer and I've only spent about 30 minutes with it... not well acquainted with the features and routing so I'm using my experience with the X32/M32 and my super hero powers to make a guess... 8)

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 03:09:37 AM »

Set them to post EQ rather than pre fader.  That takes the tap before the compressor so it can't cause a problem with monitors if you use it.

Steve.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 03:31:02 AM »

Aside from the desk, there may be other problems with your setup. The best ringing out isn't going to get much GBF from a cheap mic.

General advice for getting the most GBF
- Most mics reject best directly at the rear, but some do better slightly off to the side (super/hyper cardioids). Aim accordingly.
- Don't cup the mic. If you're vaguely near the feedback threshold, that's a sure way of making sure it does start screaming.
- Stay close to the mic. Loudest sound at the mic wins.

Definitely set the Aux tap point for post-EQ and pre-fader. Whether to include the compressor is up to you. Sometimes it's useful, sometimes it's not.
Post-fade monitors means the mix will be significantly altered (ie, all that careful soundchecking is for nothing) as the band plays and the sound engineer adjusts levels out front.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 05:01:02 AM »

Set to post fader and see how it sounds.
Head in hands...

Aside from the desk, there may be other problems with your setup. The best ringing out isn't going to get much GBF from a cheap mic.
Too true.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 05:01:02 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 19 queries.