ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bigger better louder PA, but 1 (one) man operation.  (Read 33762 times)

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Bigger better louder PA, but 1 (one) man operation.
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2018, 06:47:21 AM »

Just a couple of thoughts for now:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

First, my biggest concern is low-mids throw,  so critical for rock music.  I'm really surprised to see so many recommendations for the Danley SM80.
Great boxes, but I've heard these at two different event, & I don't think they are any good for rock, past about 30-50 feet.   Mind you, Danley makes great stuff, but these are an odd duck.  Just a single 12" coaxial in a sealed cabinet. OK, there's a bit of waveguide extension, but it's still 90º conical, so you're also losing energy vertically, and potentially getting some phase smear when indoors.

One idea I have right now actually does involve a Danley product, but it's an unusual idea:  I'm thinking of using a pair of SH95HO's, combined with a custom-made pair of dual 10's for 100 - 400Hz.
-------------------------------------------------------

And perfect dispersion control down to 400 Hz.

I only wish the SH95HO had a 2" exit, but you can't have everything.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this idea.
As Mac said, you MUST use your full real name on these forums, or the thread will be locked or your posts deleted

Pattern control is something that is VERY VERY misunderstood.

Most people DO NOT understand what it means, even though they think they do.

Often people ask for a narrow vertical pattern.  HOWEVER that means that it MUST be much larger, to have the same degree of control.

Given 2 horns of the same size, the one with the larger pattern will control lower.

So a small vertical size and narrow vertical pattern means that you will ONLY get that vertical control over the top couple of octaves, NOT down lower.

As you go lower, the pattern will get wider and wider, which means that at the lower/mid freq, it is actually WIDER than a "wider" rated horn.

You may find it very difficult to get a pair of 10" front loaded drivers to keep up with the SM80.  And then you have to consider the interaction of the different boxes.  The fewer boxes you use, the easier it is to get them to line up.

Consider also that the SM80 has a very high impedance below 150Hz.  SO you can actually boost those freq a good bit.  Because the impedance is high, the driver will not be dissipating a lot of power, and  because it is a sealed box the excursion will be under control.

Or you could run the subs up a little higher to get more punch out of them.

Why would you want the SH95HO to have a 2" exit.  It has a 1.4" exit

The wider the exit on a HF driver, the narrower the pattern will be at the higher freq (due to the size of the exit of the driver in relation to the freq at the throat of the horn.

2" drivers are not the "bees knees" that many people think they are.  Historically they have gone lower in freq, and are louder in the 2-4Khz range, but actually they are quieter in the upper freq, where it is harder to get output.

So 1" drivers typically have greater output in the top octaves than 2" drivers.

Unless you MUST go lower, I would avoid 2" drivers.

Everything is a trade off.  It is important to understand the tradeoffs when making decisions.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Peter Morris

« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2018, 07:26:28 AM »

Thanks guys , my question to Peter is. Did you cut the poke down ? In the picture you posted with the double 18 and the hand krank pole , it is extremely short , which is what in looking for. If you did cut it can you tell me how you did it without destroying to pole ? I want to get the m20 version also... I'm thinking maybe it's possible to cut from the center ?

Thanks !

Its exactly as David said. Here is a picture that may help.

The sub is a double 21" - 8000 watt continuous program;  and on top of the pole there is a BT-12 (Balanced Tilter)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 08:23:59 AM by Peter Morris »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2018, 08:50:11 AM »

I wrote my previous reply quickly before I left for work.

I "missed" the idea of the dual 10" and the SH95.

Yes you can put 2 10" drivers in a small box the size of the SH95.

But in that small of an enclosure, they are going to roll off pretty high.  Not down in the range that is being talked about.

Consider that the dual 8" drivers in the SH95 are in a sealed cabinet (so the rolloff is slower than a ported cabinet) and they are horn loaded (so you have additional gain).

That is not saying that you cannot come up with a dual 10" cabinet that would help, but you MUST model it and take into considerations the limitations first.

DO NOT just assume that it will "automatically" be better.

Also, as you larger with the throat size, the width of effective radiation vs freq gets lower.

A smaller exit HF will have a wider dispertion of the higher freq than a larger exit driver.

So when putting it on a wide pattern horn (like the SH95) a smaller HF driver will have greater HF at the edges of the pattern than a larger exit driver.

That is part of the reason Danley does not use any 2" exit drivers.  In most cases they simply cannot "fill out the horn" as well as a smaller exit HF driver.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Kirby Yarbrough

• SR Forums
  • Reston, Virginia
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2018, 01:10:49 PM »

Fulcrum Acoustic FA22AC over a TS215 or TS221 per side

Or for a little less oomph but still in the one man territory and a terrific sounding rig: Fulcrum Acoustic FA12ac over TS215ac.  Depending on the transport, you may want a ramp to get the subs in and out.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2018, 01:10:49 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.