ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Bigger better louder PA, but 1 (one) man operation.  (Read 33347 times)

Sammy Barr

Re: Bigger better louder PA, but 1 (one) man operation.
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 06:33:22 PM »

The Danley option is solid. Tops are a one man lift. Subs have tilt back wheels and pole toppers. Outdoors I usually put the tops on crank stands with tillers. One sub per side is good, two per side is great.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 06:54:02 PM »

Hence my search for a system with NO lifting. I think i can manage tilting a 100 pound speaker.
The problem is that to get lifts to get down to a couple of feet off of the ground, you are talking about much heavier, awkard, expensive and larger than a simple "speaker on a stick" setup.

Also, getting a place to put such a lift can be a real issue in many smaller/medium rooms.

Everything is a trade off.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 07:33:23 PM »

The idea is that i put the tops flat on their face on the subs for transport, and tilt/turn them 90 degrees in the upright position, for a stack height of about 1.95m. So no heavy lifting, no poles, no lifts. Quick in and out. I know the height is not perfect, but good enough. I was used to dragging around big horn loaded speakers. Heavier than 53kg. MSL3, SLS980, KF850. All over 200 pounds. It's no fun.

As i am getting older i don't want to lift anything heavier than 25kg, and don't want to tilt 100kg subs.. That's why i am looking at tall speakers and an easy delivery 'system'. The funny thing is that i have enough subs for the job already, but just don't want to stack them every time. So the 9007's i am looking at are really just expensive wheeled carts... If i am to stay with RCF the 9006 would probably be a better fit sound wise. But they have 15cm less height. Height i need.

The trends in PA speakers are smaller, powerful point sources and of course the line array. Both of which require a lot of work to get to a decent height. So my choices are very limited.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 08:17:47 PM by Geert Friedhof »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 08:30:14 PM »

The idea is that i put the tops flat on their face on the subs for transport, and tilt/turn them 90 degrees in the upright position, for a stack height of about 1.95m. So no heavy lifting, no poles, no lifts. Quick in and out. I know the height is not perfect, but good enough. I was used to dragging around big horn loaded speakers. Heavier than 53kg. MSL3, SLS980, KF850. All over 200 pounds. It's no fun.

As i am getting older i don't want to lift anything heavier than 25kg, and don't want to tilt 100kg subs.. That's why i am looking at tall speakers and an easy delivery 'system'. The funny thing is that i have enough subs for the job already, but just don't want to stack them every time. So the 9007's i am looking at are really just expensive wheeled carts... If i am to stay with RCF the 9006 would probably be a better fit sound wise. But they have 15cm less height. Height i need.

The trends in PA speakers are smaller, powerful point sources and of course the line array. Both of which require a lot of work to get to a decent height. So my choices are very limited.

If you have the right rig I would highly suggest what I did this year, hire a helper.  When I go out on a gig I take someone with me.  The younger guys can do the small gigs solo but it just takes it all out of me. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 09:11:42 PM »

If you have the right rig I would highly suggest what I did this year, hire a helper.  When I go out on a gig I take someone with me.  The younger guys can do the small gigs solo but it just takes it all out of me.

I do that already for out-of-town and one-off gigs where the money is better. But 3 years (=120 gigs) depreciation (on the subs) is less than paying 120 days of work. Keep in mind i still need bigger tops.

I do have negotiated a new higher flat fee, so as long as i stay within my budget i'm golden.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 09:47:21 PM by Geert Friedhof »

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 06:56:37 AM »

I am a one-man-op for the most part but as of the past two years I have been hiring in some "beef" for load in/out on my bigger gigs.

12-15 years ago I had little difficulty setting up my go-to rigs (80 lb. mid/hi cabs over double 18 subs) but at my age (58) things are getting heavier (or so it seems). 
Oh, and by the way, I had shoulder surgery on 12/5....(as of this writing can't raise my right arm above my shoulder, never mind lift any weight...).

"Beef", whether hired in or volunteer is part of my package moving forward...

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 07:36:03 AM »

Yeah, i feel you. But i've been back in the game for only 2 years 4 months now. Call me oldfashioned, but i like my stuff to be paid for. Don't like loans. So for now i am investing as much as i can to have decent equipment. Right now things are going great, so i have the room to invest, and i need to. Who knows what's ahead? And i can hire all the people i like, but what are they going to do if there is no or not enough equipment to work with?

Lyle Williams

« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 08:35:20 AM »

Is their other labour available on site?  Can you give your customer's two prices, one including extra labour and one if they provide an able bodied person for five minutes at setup and teardown to help with lifting speakers?

My subs are big enough to stand on when I am lifting tops onto poles.  If the subs were smaller, maybe the whole arrangement could be assembled lying on the ground horizontally then rotated vertically?

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2018, 08:54:49 AM »

Is their other labour available on site?  Can you give your customer's two prices, one including extra labour and one if they provide an able bodied person for five minutes at setup and teardown to help with lifting speakers?

I do quote my fee schedule with labor included and without labor.

A few of my local shows will provide the volunteer labor at load in/out...  At load out I keep them away from my cords/cables as volunteer labor usually wants to help wrapping/coiling.

I did an outdoor show last summer and the labor was provided by the organizer.  The organizer owns/operates a local gym/personal training facility.  There were four gals (bodybuilders) that helped me with load in/out.  They were very efficient .... and scary-strong.)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 01:13:43 PM »

I'm getting that sort of SPL from 40Hz up from 2x 15" subs and 1x 2x10"+HF top per side.
Each main speaker is around 25kg, and subs are around 30kg. All passive.

With crank stands, it's an easy setup.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2018, 01:13:43 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.