ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 02:00 01-01-2018 Loadout  (Read 5016 times)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
Re: 02:00 01-01-2018 Loadout
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 12:56:58 PM »

Briefcase job, 1/2 mile away.  Life is tough.

Best of 2018 to all! 
And thanks for all the fish.

frank

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 07:59:06 PM »

Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 12:13:44 AM »

I think the coverage depends on the market.  In tornado alley there is stiff competition on the local level.  Every few years all the stations brag about their exclusive, new and improved SUPERDUPERDOPPLER.  They also use real meteorologists instead of just on-air personalities.
The dirty secret of TV news stations is that they all use the NWS WSR-88D nexrad radar systems (which were originally launed in 1988) for their primary radars and use the NWS Mesonet stations for their forecasting. Sure they use different radar software viewers, But the NWS only upgrades their radars every few years, and they are finally done with the dual-polarization upgrades of the NexRad system.

You, as an individual person can purchase a software viewer that is every bit as accurate and faster than the TV stations use for just $250. Or as about $10 for your iPad or Android tablets. Look up: Gibson Ridge Level 2 Advanced, RadarScope and Pykl3 Radar.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 01:41:48 AM »

It's amazing how many common interests we (as a group share).  I am weather enthusiast and the GR Analyst is the best visualizer for the Allison House data.  I didn't know they had a visualizer for Android.

I use Radarscope Pro tier 2 to look at the data on my Android device, will check out the GR app.

What I really enjoy most is checking out the model data.  The models really struggle with long range forecasting around the lake effect areas.  The Euro is always overdone and the GFS has missed almost every major snow event!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 04:27:32 AM »

It's amazing how many common interests we (as a group share).  I am weather enthusiast and the GR Analyst is the best visualizer for the Allison House data.  I didn't know they had a visualizer for Android.

I use Radarscope Pro tier 2 to look at the data on my Android device, will check out the GR app.

What I really enjoy most is checking out the model data.  The models really struggle with long range forecasting around the lake effect areas.  The Euro is always overdone and the GFS has missed almost every major snow event!

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

The $10 I spent on Pykl3 has been a great investment.  Works great with Caprock and Allison House or you can use whatever default free servers the app connects to.

Kansas and Oklahoma are kind of the "Welcome" mat for tornado alley...

And my gig tonight was over at 8pm, on time.  Truck rolling by 9:45.  Joined friends at 11:30 for festivities, home at 12:30.  So here's to a better year!
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 04:30:21 AM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2018, 02:40:49 PM »

Sorry, I wasn't super clear. The GR software is Windows only. I think it will run on the Windows tablets and phones though.

Pykl3 and Radar Scope run only on mobile devices and are NEXRAD Level 3 data only. GR2 and GR2 Analyst is the only consumer level app out there for Level 2 data, and I'm not aware of any mobile apps for viewing L2 data. But Pykl3 is Android only. Radar Scope is Android and iOS.

I use GR2 and Pykl3 or Radar Scope together if I have a place to set up my laptop.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 02:44:32 PM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2018, 03:12:34 PM »

Sorry, I wasn't super clear. The GR software is Windows only. I think it will run on the Windows tablets and phones though.

Pykl3 and Radar Scope run only on mobile devices and are NEXRAD Level 3 data only. GR2 and GR2 Analyst is the only consumer level app out there for Level 2 data, and I'm not aware of any mobile apps for viewing L2 data. But Pykl3 is Android only. Radar Scope is Android and iOS.

I use GR2 and Pykl3 or Radar Scope together if I have a place to set up my laptop.

I didn't know until I looked at it today that Pykl3 is from a different vendor than GRAnalyst. 

In either case Allison House is the massager of the free Nexrad data.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2018, 04:51:14 PM »

For surface weather forecasts (not aviation, etc.) I really like the tabular, geographically interpolated forecasts from NWS. I've been using them for years. One tip, in mountainous terrain, is to ensure that the forecast location is close to your altitude, as this is more important than horizontal position in providing an accurate forecast.

Here's a link to the forecast for where I live, as an example. Note that you can modify various aspects of the representation to suite your needs.

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/wxtables/index.php?lat=37.42907&lon=-122.12677&table=custom&duration=6&interval=3

As to the accuracy of NWS precipitation forecasts, Nate Silver did an analysis that showed they are essentially free of bias. In other words, 15% of the time that the forecast said the probability of precipitation was 15%, there was indeed precipitation. The news media on the other hand, while using the same data, tend to exaggerate the probability of unlikely events (big surprise).

One interesting characteristic of these forecasts is how the probabilities of precipitation "concentrate" in time as the event draws near. This is exactly what we would expect. A few days out they know it is likely to rain, but they don't know exactly when, so we see low probabilities in each of many time intervals. As the front gets close the uncertainty in the time of its passage over a location decreases and, as a result, the probability goes up in a smaller number of time intervals. I find that forecast total precipitation for a storm is remarkably accurate even if the time is a little off. I also like seeing the freeze level, snow ratio, and surface evaporation rates (in the summer months).

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Kevin Conlon

• Thanks for being here
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 10:36:58 PM »

I think the coverage depends on the market.  In tornado alley there is stiff competition on the local level.  Every few years all the stations brag about their exclusive, new and improved SUPERDUPERDOPPLER.  They also use real meteorologists instead of just on-air personalities. 
Back to the NYE topic, it seems Mariah Carey will be back live for NYE and has announced she will be going to rehearsals this year. Even the network admits that it should be good for ratings, now matter how she does.
We live in a tornado alley here in TN. Our locals do a good job although somewhat dramatic at times. When it really matters i check Wounderground and Accuweather as needed. As for Mariah, can anyone sing properly at those temps? I did not watch so no clue how it went.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 10:36:58 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.