ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reliability of smaller digital mixers  (Read 19727 times)

Scott Bolt

Re: Reliability of smaller digital mixers
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2017, 02:23:29 PM »

Notice I used the words "stable band".  If the musician is unable to return to the same output level he/she had before, we can re-trim, but that would be necessary regardless of analog potentiometer or digital memory.

If the player flips back and forth between backline rigs for different gigs, that's not "stable" but a couple of spike marks on that input's trim pot should suffice to get you in the ballpark.

All too true.

It has been my experience that musicians with amps on stage turn them up louder on a larger stage, and keep them lower on a smaller stage/venue.  I guess this only makes sense though.  Smaller spaces just seem to invoke a need to be lower in volume, if not actually sound louder at the same SPL (just a guess of mine).

Reguardless, this is the reason I find myself using my remote tablet at the beginning of every gig to "dial in" the levels for some members of the band.

Note:  My Kemper is always consistent since my monitor volume is not at all linked to my mixer input volume.  If all band members had consistent volume into the mixer at all venues, scenes would work perfectly.  So far, while I still use scenes extensively, I find myself doing a input trim every gig.

Weogo Reed

• Western NC,
    • LiveEdge
« Reply #61 on: January 02, 2018, 12:51:20 AM »

Hi Duane, Steve and All,

Reliability:  with any mixer with faders, in particular motorized faders, you will eventually be replacing some.
I have once re-seated a ribbon cable on my Mackie DL32R.  That was a couple years ago.
The Midas MR18 in a local venue developed bad zipper noise shortly after being purchased.  Went to MusicGroup and came back with zipper noise.  Has since gone back to the retailer who is going to put their own techs on it.

I own digital Mackie, Midas and Yamaha mixers.
One local venues I work have has an Allen & Heath QU.
I've done a bunch of shows on the little QSC.  This past year's big firmware upgrade made these much more usable.
Soundcrafts are just starting to show up around here.

) The Mackie DL1608 is a very useful little mixer.  I use the crossovers and line delay quite a bit.
) The MR18 will go out if I need recallable preamps, or a couple other features.
) The Mackie DL32R goes out when I need more channels and recallable preamps.  I've installed these in two local venues, and a DL1608 in another.
) The 01V96 goes out when an extra 32 channel mixer is needed.

For most of my shows I'm mixing on a tablet.
One can get reasonably fast on pretty much any app.
By far, for ease, speed and intuitive operation, the Mackies are my first choice.  The Auto View feature is great.

Thanks and good health,  Weogo

The anolog pre's aren't that big of a deal. They don't move if you keep the board in a case. I mix many bands on mine, and simply take a picture of the knobs using the same ipad. Most of the time the gain has to be changed regardless. I agree digital pre's would be nicer (the DL32 has them).

I also agree it's about the app. That is what I love about the Mackie, and I think I would like the Soundcraft app as well. The Behringer app is the worst I've used IMO.

kel mcguire

« Reply #62 on: January 02, 2018, 11:51:39 AM »

Your situation is pretty static. I mix at 2 venues plus freelance gigs.
Many shows are 5-6 acts with all different instrumentation and/or levels.
Firvsay 5 hardcore or metal acts...input gains are all over the map.

Apologies, perhaps I didn't explain myself very succinctly when I wrote this:
"I don't understand the notion of preamp gains changing during typical board use. Perhaps I am different but my mixers generally go in and out of cases, or gig bags to their respective gigs. Other than human movement (and even with faders), I've never experienced input gain changes like I read on forums. The list of attributes for fully recallable gains often recites this changing gain problem as another benefit. Recallable input gains are fantastic for the other reasons in my opinion."

Mixing my own band is probably only 15-20% of the gigs I do in a typical year, which is only about 70-80 total. So yes, the band part is a repeating, static situation. I do the same types of other gigs, sans hardcore metal. My point wasn't that recallable preamp gains aren't generally a good thing. I've read more than a few times that one attribute is that when the preamp gains get bumped between shows or in setup/tear down. I've just not experienced that, especially at a show and not in between either. So, yes, for different shows, input gains may well be "all over the map", which is true, but that wasn't my point.

Will "GLiDE" Mims

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2018, 11:11:25 PM »

Bar band, I've been using the X32 Rack for over 2 years.  Mix it with a 15" touch screen laptop, iPad Air 2, Two 12" android tablets, and phones.  If we lost a machine, there are plenty to mix with in the band, plus my wife's Android phone is loaded.

I hope I never see a full analog board again... LoL!

Church, they use the Midas M32 and I use my Android phone to set my monitor mix.

I've mixed other bands with my X32 Rack and the old school ones trip out on the mixing with computers/tablets/phones...  LoL!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2018, 11:11:25 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 21 queries.