ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Reliability of smaller digital mixers  (Read 19726 times)

duane massey

Re: Reliability of smaller digital mixers
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2017, 07:55:00 PM »

I initially started looking at the XR18, as it has all the features I believe I need and is well within my budget. If I can increase my budget a bit, then the X32R would definitely be at the top of my list. I don't need or want a larger format board for this particular application, but I'm looking at basically putting together a complete system that will be adequate for small/medium venues and still fit into my budget and my Mazda Tribute.
It's going to be a challenge, but I believe I can make it work.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2017, 08:14:34 PM »

I initially started looking at the XR18, as it has all the features I believe I need and is well within my budget. If I can increase my budget a bit, then the X32R would definitely be at the top of my list. I don't need or want a larger format board for this particular application, but I'm looking at basically putting together a complete system that will be adequate for small/medium venues and still fit into my budget and my Mazda Tribute.

I've got a full size X32 that went back to CARE 2x, first for a bad fader and second time for an undisclosed failure that prevented the console from booting (I'm guessing the SD card that holds the firmware/software popped out).  It's over 4 years old and from the first batch (clear buttons), I have no complaints.

I also own an X32R that I really like.  I use an old ThinkPad running Ubuntu Linux with X32 Edit, an Android tablet with Mixing Station Pro, and have an iPad2 with the "official" X32 app.  All for redundancy...  My access point is EnGenius ENS500EXT (5GHz only) with a switch connecting the AP, computer and mixer.  Static IP addresses.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Bolt

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 08:29:48 PM »

From what I read, the UI series has noisy preamps and the TM has too many quirks to be usable (like Don stated above) in addition to being slooow.
The Ui24 is not the same ilk as the Ui 16 and Ui 12.  The Ui24 uses Soundcraft preamps and is essentially a 2nd generation of the original Ui 16 and Ui 12 which were rebadged from a company Soundcraft purchased.

The Ui24 is a much better product ..... without the preamp noise ;)

From what I have heard, it is the best sounding rack mounted mixer out there today, and the control app was always first rate.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2017, 08:48:35 PM »

Both the X32 Rack and Ui 24 are $1K.

Pro's for the Ui 24

• With the X32 Rack, if you want integrated direct to disk multi-track recording, you will need to purchase an expansion card for $200 while the Ui 24 has direct to USB built in.
  • The X32 Rack has 16 XLR inputs with mic preamps while the Ui 24 has 20.
[li]Built in 5Ghz wireless router
[/li][/list]
Pro's for the X32 Rack

• 6 additional aux outputs
  • Expandable with stage boxes to 38 inputs (and can add 8 more outputs as well)
  • MIDI control (in and out)
  • Scene manager that is superior to all others in this class
  • 8FX engines vs 4 with the Ui
    • More people out there know how to use them

I would prefer both of these options to an XR18

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2017, 09:27:22 PM »

The Ui24 is not the same ilk as the Ui 16 and Ui 12.  The Ui24 uses Soundcraft preamps and is essentially a 2nd generation of the original Ui 16 and Ui 12 which were rebadged from a company Soundcraft purchased.

From what I have heard, it is the best sounding rack mounted mixer out there today, and the control app was always first rate.

+1
I really like mine.
Very flexible setup.
Runs on anything with a web browser - no app.
The only thing missing is an internal pink noise / tone generator.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Will Knight

• Queens, NY
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2017, 10:06:54 PM »

+1
I purchased one of the early Ui16 runs and while I liked the app, the pres were noisy and the wireless was worthless.  Fought with it during the series of firm wear updates and decided, after it was stable, to unload it and move on to the Ui24, being a SC/Harman House.  The Ui24 vs. Ui16 is night and day; excellent unit, no issues with the wireless, app is still solid, no more "noisy pres" and works as intended. Now just expecting it to last a few years in terms of reliability. Given my experience with other SC products, I'm hoping that will likewise be favorable.

Bill
Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value — Albert Einstein.

Thomas Le

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2017, 12:29:44 AM »

What has your experience been?

Mac

No experience with SC UI but played with TM at a banjomart/sam ash. Youtube link below shows the roast. There's more online reports in this forum/PSW, SOS, talkbass, just google up "soundcraft ui hiss" or noise. Again, this is From What I've Read. Maybe they fixed it, I don't know. Duane is looking for ~16 channels so the Ui16 might not be a good choice (it's not even 16 mic inputs.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0X40LyYhoU

TomBoisseau

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2017, 12:46:03 AM »

I've started using one of these.  Of course there are some limitations, but if you want something digital with faders, that's a fairly small footprint, this is it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SKP-Pro-Audio-D-Touch-20-Digital-Mixing-Console-Touchscreen-WiFi-20Inputs-15Buse/172805211031?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2017, 05:38:57 AM »

Both the X32 Rack and Ui 24 are $1K.

Pro's for the Ui 24

• With the X32 Rack, if you want integrated direct to disk multi-track recording, you will need to purchase an expansion card for $200 while the Ui 24 has direct to USB built in.
  • The X32 Rack has 16 XLR inputs with mic preamps while the Ui 24 has 20.
[li]Built in 5Ghz wireless router
[/li][/list]
Pro's for the X32 Rack

• 6 additional aux outputs
  • Expandable with stage boxes to 38 inputs (and can add 8 more outputs as well)
  • MIDI control (in and out)
  • Scene manager that is superior to all others in this class
  • 8FX engines vs 4 with the Ui
    • More people out there know how to use them

I would prefer both of these options to an XR18
The X32r has 6 Aux In's as well.

Douglas R. Allen

Jim Turner

• Calgary, Alberta... Canada eh!
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 09:13:32 AM »

I've started using one of these.  Of course there are some limitations, but if you want something digital with faders, that's a fairly small footprint, this is it.

What does the joystick do?
smile & wave...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2017, 09:13:32 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 20 queries.