ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Calling All Experts - Can We Be More Helpful and Less Snarky?  (Read 9796 times)

Dennis Wiggins

Re: Calling All Experts - Can We Be More Helpful and Less Snarky?
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2017, 11:46:30 AM »

As one of the more acerbic members here... .

a·cer·bic

... of a comment or style of speaking) sharp and forthright.

synonyms:   sharp, sarcastic, sardonic, mordant, trenchant, cutting, razor-edged, biting, piercing, stinging, searing, scathing, caustic, bitter, acrimonious, astringent, abrasive, harsh, wounding, hurtful, unkind, cruel, virulent, vitriolic, venomous, malicious, vicious; informal; bitchy; rareacidulous, mordacious

That about covers it!   ;)

-Dennis
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 10:56:43 AM by Dennis Wiggins »

James Hennessy

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 01:49:07 PM »

I came here a year ago being as green as green could be when it comes to pro audio.  I still have volumes to learn but I'm infinitely more fluent in the subject than I was at the start.  People have been pretty polite and helpful whenever I have asked for help.  It seems like as long as you don't act like an ignorant know it all and are ready to listen to other opinions you'll be fine.

I do get why DJs have the reputation they do with the sound tech community.  The requirements to enter the field of DJing are lower and lower each year as computers and technology make it easier and cheaper to access.  Unfortunately there's a lot of cringeworthy examples you can point to online that make all DJs look bad by association to people that don't know much about the field. 

At the same time dance music is growing very fast.  There's more of everything, both the good and the bad.  Most big cities will have groups of people that are committed to doing things the right way.  Theyre probably the ones actually making money at it.  When you are working with these people you can expect them to respect your equipment and listen to your instructions.

Pat Semeraro

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2017, 12:37:47 AM »

Friends, everything I've read here is both encouraging and inspiring. 

Like many "old timers" I built speakers in my parents garage as a teenager to get  through beginners gigs.  Then Pro gigs.  I moved on to buying and modding/upgrading.  I earned a music degree.  I payed for it by working as a DJ, while also playing in 3 working bands.  I've spent time onstage and time backstage.  From both places it has sometimes felt like us against them.  We can help change that.

7 years at one of Orlando's large theme parks was the education of a lifetime and I moved on to owning, then selling my production company.  I've hung Meyer Leos and Lyons in stadiums and I've operated one sm58 and one Mackie 450 on a stick for tiny meetings.  And I've supported hundreds of DJ shows from small clubs to ballrooms to stadiums.  At home I listen to tube electronics and ribbon speakers.

There are some things I've learned that might be useful to others.  Many of you have incredible knowledge and know things that someday I hope to learn.  We have the power to help each other.

Probably the biggest difference between DJs and audio pros is DJs blindly expect everything to work and we plan as if everything will fail.

To Ivan's point, you have to blow some stuff up to understand gear's limitations.  People joining the party now do not have the benefit of our journey of working with analog, building speakers, experimenting and measuring different crossover points,  limiter settings and driver delay, big iron to switch mode to class D amps, working with large arrays, then line arrays, and figuring everything out as we went along.

At the pro level now, software tells us how to configure a system and fir dsp makes it sound good right out of the box and not blow up.  At the MI level, every manufacture makes claims that are outrageous at best and disastrous at worst.  That is the gear most DJs are stuck using.  Many of the clubs they work at have sound systems so bad they defy description.  That is the world they know.

I'm hopeful that when we see questions like "I'm playing a gig for 1000 people, will my 15" powered subwoofer be enough or do I need two?" that before answering, we try to understand where the OP is coming from.  They don't know what they don't know.

WE have the power to make the world a better place with our knowledge if its package the right way.  Not everyone will listen, but a few might.  And that is enough to matter.

Cheers,
Pat

Those are my thoughts, and I hope we can all help each other to do and be better.

Cheers,
Pat Semeraro
« Last Edit: December 27, 2017, 12:40:09 AM by Pat Semeraro »

James Hennessy

« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2017, 07:27:26 PM »

I came here a year ago being as green as green could be when it comes to pro audio.  I still have volumes to learn but I'm infinitely more fluent in the subject than I was at the start.  People have been pretty polite and helpful whenever I have asked for help.  It seems like as long as you don't act like an ignorant know it all and are ready to listen to other opinions you'll be fine.

I do get why DJs have the reputation they do with the sound tech community.  The requirements to enter the field of DJing are lower and lower each year as computers and technology make it easier and cheaper to access.  Unfortunately there's a lot of cringeworthy examples you can point to online that make all DJs look bad by association to people that don't know much about the field. 

At the same time dance music is growing very fast.  There's more of everything, both the good and the bad.  Most big cities will have groups of people that are committed to doing things the right way.  Theyre probably the ones actually making money at it.  When you are working with these people you can expect them to respect your equipment and listen to your instructions.

I saw this NYT opinion piece about DJs and reminded me of this thread.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/30/opinion/sunday/dj-save-your-life.html

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 02:55:54 PM »

"Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft" (the Klaatu original, not the Carpenters cover).  /snark
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 02:55:54 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 24 queries.