Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Console Connectivity Solutions

Control Network on Primary and Secondary Dante Switches

<< < (2/5) > >>

brian maddox:

--- Quote from: Benjamin Krumholz on December 22, 2017, 01:40:25 PM ---Hey All,

Heres the situation.. I am talking about only control network here NOT DANTE.. Simplified setup..

One control computer (HiQ net, Yamaha control).
Two SG300 Switches Switch 1= PRIMARY  Switch2= secondary.. ( Switches are programmed as Yamaha suggests( VLAN 1 = Control, Vlan2=Dante, Fiber ports are TRUNKED)
Connected to, Another Two Cisco Switches..
One network amplifier or console.. ( Control only not talking DANTE or any digital audio)

So i connect Computer to VLAN 1 of the primary switch and Amplifier to VLAN 1 of the other primary switch... What happens when I lose the link between the Primary switchs? Do i have to move both the computer and Amplifier to the secondary switch?

My question is, Can I loop VLAN 1 on both the Primary and Secondary Switches?? I get that I can use a secondary network adapter to connect to the secondary switch, but what do i do on the amp/console end?
Can i put a switch infront of the amp/ console and send the signal into Both Primary and secondary switches? Will this Freak out the network?

Thanks,
Ben

--- End quote ---

In my experience, Dante Primary and Secondary networks do NOT like seeing each other on the same network. Now if the greater networking minds available here can tell you how to 'bridge' the two networks physically while simultaneously making sure that the Dante portions of those networks remain oblivious to each other's presence, then all should be well.  But that if far above my expertise level....

Benjamin Krumholz:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on December 22, 2017, 03:37:05 PM ---If the switches support stacking just create a pair of stack links and be done with it. 

If the switches don't do that create a LAG or link aggregation group with vlan trunking.  All vlans in each switch will be linked.

--- End quote ---

From what I am reading, it does not sound like the cisco supports " staking" as you suggest.. They do suggest to create a LAG..

So do the switches still get connected by a UTP cable between the " TRUNK PORTS? How is this different than just putting a cable between the ports that are on the same Vlan? I do not access the network via the Trunk port.. I always connect the computer and control device directly to the VLAN port, not to the trunk port..

Need to do more reading..

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Benjamin Krumholz on December 22, 2017, 07:17:46 PM ---From what I am reading, it does not sound like the cisco supports " staking" as you suggest.. They do suggest to create a LAG..

So do the switches still get connected by a UTP cable between the " TRUNK PORTS? How is this different than just putting a cable between the ports that are on the same Vlan? I do not access the network via the Trunk port.. I always connect the computer and control device directly to the VLAN port, not to the trunk port..

Need to do more reading..

--- End quote ---
You sure the SG's are not stackable?  I try to stay away from the the small business series.  I just run into too many limitations compared to IoS based devices.

Anyway, for the Dante devices with dual network interfaces, yes they need to be in their own vlan and hardware segmentation is important.

I thought we were talking about single interface devices and how to keep them up during a switch failure.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Benjamin Krumholz:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on December 22, 2017, 08:28:54 PM ---
I thought we were talking about single interface devices and how to keep them up during a switch failure.

--- End quote ---

We are talking about a single interface device.. But on the control side not the dante side.. So a CL 5 has 3 network ports on it.. A Primary Dante, a secondary dante, and a LAN port. The Primary and Secondary ports are plugged into their respective switches on VLAN 2.. Can I plug the LAN port on the CL5 into a dumb switch and then send 2 cables into VLAN 1 of BOTH Primary and Secondary switches? Or can I just Loop VLAN 1 together on the switches? Since my Dante/ VLAN2 ports are excluded from the VLAN 1 ports wont that maintain the " hardware segmentation"?

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on December 22, 2017, 03:37:05 PM ---BGP is layer 3 and Spanning Tree is not the way I would go.

If the switches support stacking just create a pair of stack links and be done with it. 

If the switches don't do that create a LAG or link aggregation group with vlan trunking.  All vlans in each switch will be linked.

Any devices with two uplinks plug one in each switch.  For a critical control computer you can add a second NIC and join them to a LAG group.  One link per switch.

This gives you host level high availability at layer 2

--- End quote ---

Linking primary and secondary Dante networks will crash the audio network. They must be on totally separate networks.

Mac

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version