ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Control Network on Primary and Secondary Dante Switches  (Read 15302 times)

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Control Network on Primary and Secondary Dante Switches
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 09:54:01 PM »

We are talking about a single interface device.. But on the control side not the dante side.. So a CL 5 has 3 network ports on it.. A Primary Dante, a secondary dante, and a LAN port. The Primary and Secondary ports are plugged into their respective switches on VLAN 2.. Can I plug the LAN port on the CL5 into a dumb switch and then send 2 cables into VLAN 1 of BOTH Primary and Secondary switches? Or can I just Loop VLAN 1 together on the switches? Since my Dante/ VLAN2 ports are excluded from the VLAN 1 ports wont that maintain the " hardware segmentation"?

How would you deal with it in a non Dante environment? With no secondary network what happens when you lose remote control of your far end gear?

Mac

Benjamin Krumholz

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 10:12:32 PM »

How would you deal with it in a non Dante environment? With no secondary network what happens when you lose remote control of your far end gear?

Mac

I would send a body to go and investigate! IF the network switched to the secondary switch, that body would have to reconnect said "amp rack" or "console" to the " Secondary "
As always just wondering if it was possible.. I ave heard from a few people now that as long as the DANTE VLAN and CONTROL VLAN are excluded from each other, You should be able to link the Control VLAN together.,

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Control Network on Primary and Secondary Dante Switches
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 10:25:41 PM »

How would the plan work if Dante and control were on the same network jack, like on a  ULX-D or Lab Gruppen Amp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Benjamin Krumholz

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2017, 10:34:44 PM »

How would the plan work if Dante and control were on the same network jack, like on a  ULX-D or Lab Gruppen Amp?
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Im sure it would not work well at all! We are currently using a DHCP network for the Dante Stuff. All of our control only stuff is Fixed address, including the switches them selves. On the control side we have been running Hiq net, wireless workbench, Yamaha Console control, and more recently now Helix net.... I guess my question applies for devices like that as well. .. The Dante side we have been running our Rio racks and Rednet pieces.

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2017, 10:43:10 PM »

I would send a body to go and investigate! IF the network switched to the secondary switch, that body would have to reconnect said "amp rack" or "console" to the " Secondary "
As always just wondering if it was possible.. I ave heard from a few people now that as long as the DANTE VLAN and CONTROL VLAN are excluded from each other, You should be able to link the Control VLAN together.,
It really depends on what failure mode your trying to eliminate.  You have to look at the implications and steps to recover for each failure mode to decide how you need to protect your self.  Given the confusion most people have over simple static vs DHCP I would tend to think advanced protocols such as spanning tree to be more prone to improper configuration than physical failure.  To that end I think the lowest common denominator approach is best.

In a production environment equipment failure is less likely than a cable getting cut.  Having said that, the number of single point failures possible are pretty high.  We just have to balance the two.  In the specific case of Dante primary, secondary, and control I think the link failure between FOH and stage is generally most difficult to recover. To that end I would link the primary and secondary control networks at the end farthest from the primary control end.  That way the first person to recognize the failure can just switch to the other switch and then have some one figure out where the failure is.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 11:29:24 PM »

That way the first person to recognize the failure can just switch to the other switch and then have some one figure out where the failure is.

I would think the point of all of this is to eliminate the person who has to do the switch and let the cisco devices take care of it themselves.

Though you are right, having a person there is easiest to implement, though improper configuration can be avoided by a mock setup.

I think a simple 3-vlan network with link aggregation or stacking as Scott suggested would be super simple to setup.

You'd have hardware separation for Dante and failover for control.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 11:45:06 PM »

I would think the point of all of this is to eliminate the person who has to do the switch and let the cisco devices take care of it themselves.

Though you are right, having a person there is easiest to implement, though improper configuration can be avoided by a mock setup.

I think a simple 3-vlan network with link aggregation or stacking as Scott suggested would be super simple to setup.

You'd have hardware separation for Dante and failover for control.

If the control and audio are on the same physical interface there is not much you can do.  Do those devices support vlan trunking?  A quick search at the Shure site didn't turn up an answer. 

Ideally you should have two switches, powered off 2 UPS's at both ends.  At each end two uplinks between the switches then two link from FOH to the Stage on diverse paths. 

Edit:  I see the axient stuff has 4 ports, 2 data two audio.  If you have that level gear the redundant network makes sense.

I forgot if it was Rat or Scovill that said they always run two paths from FoH to the stage. 

« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 11:48:03 PM by Scott Holtzman »
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Benjamin Krumholz

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 10:52:40 AM »

Edit:  I see the axient stuff has 4 ports, 2 data two audio.  If you have that level gear the redundant network makes sense.

Ok so take the Axient for example..

I have a WAP and tablet connected to VLAN1 of my primary switch....

Dante Audio Primary port goes to primary Switch Vlan 2
Dante Audio Secondary goes to Secondary Switch Vlan 2

One of the ethernet ports can go into the Primary Switch Vlan 1..

If i plug the second ethernet port on the Axient into the Secondary Switch Vlan 1, Is that not the same thing as putting a jumper cable between VLAN 1 on both the Primary and Secondary Switch?!

What happens if I loose the Primary link and there is no WAP plugged into the Secondary Switch?! I loose control..

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 11:33:02 AM »

Ok so take the Axient for example..

I have a WAP and tablet connected to VLAN1 of my primary switch....

Dante Audio Primary port goes to primary Switch Vlan 2
Dante Audio Secondary goes to Secondary Switch Vlan 2

One of the ethernet ports can go into the Primary Switch Vlan 1..

If i plug the second ethernet port on the Axient into the Secondary Switch Vlan 1, Is that not the same thing as putting a jumper cable between VLAN 1 on both the Primary and Secondary Switch?!

What happens if I loose the Primary link and there is no WAP plugged into the Secondary Switch?! I loose control..

Well, i think the answer depends on how Shure deals with the 2 data ports in the Axient.  If they are just a "mini-switch" then i would think it would be the same as throwing a jumper on there.  But if it addresses those internally as separate datalinks that address control independently....

It makes me think of when i use my MacBook for both Dante and Gear control via the Wired Ethernet, and Internet access via the WiFi [both networks created by our crew on site, but on very different subnets].  The MacBook keeps the networks separate and i can access the 2 with different applications at the same time.  Until i can't.  All it takes is one application that doesn't know for sure which network i want to use [i see you Google Chrome] and things get weird.

I think the hole in my basic networking knowledge is can you create a networking "loop" without bad things happening?  Everything that i do now is some sort of wagon wheel topology.  What you're trying to do is to create a pair of virtual networks for system control that are riding the same copper as your Dante networks, and have a way for the controlling and controlled devices to see BOTH of them in case either network fails.  Dante devices do this redundancy internally.  But creating that for a control network feels trickier.

Maybe we need to sit in the shop for a day and plug a bunch of stuff together and try to break it until we figure it out.  :)

"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 11:56:42 AM »

When using multiple networks on 1 computer you should set the metric of the links.
The computer will access the networks with lower metric first. The default for Windows is that the LAN has a lower metric than the WLAN. Not sure about macs, but i guess it will be the same.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 11:56:42 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.