ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: How Tours work - A&H D-Live - Further escapades from book space  (Read 17811 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: How Tours work - A&H D-Live - Further escapades from book space
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2017, 01:13:20 PM »

The best mixer is the one at FOH that is fully functional, has the features I need to mix my artist and is sufficiently familiar to me that I can control it quickly and masterfully.  Brand?  Less important.
Part of the FB thread and my PM conversation with the person in question included (IMO) unsubstantiated reports to the effect of "every A&H console I have encountered has problems and my company has removed 500 broken A&H consoles from venues and replaced them with something else". 

Maybe that's true, but my experience includes failures from every brand of console I've ever used:  I have shoved a problematic Heritage 2000 out of the way in favor of a far less flashy but working M7, I have replaced MANY faders on the above M7 as well as another one, I have had blown preamps on Yamaha 01v original and 01v96, had blown output channels on Soundcraft Sprit (didn't like backfed phantom power), RF rectification from Mackie and Roland gear, a cold solder joint from the factory on a Mixwizard, and power supply issues in my GLD.

Second hand stories (gigs I have been on but was not driving the console) include Dante problems on Yamaha CL5s, boot up problems with a Digico SD10, Innovason Grand Master rack failure, etc. 

They all break; more popular (number of units sold, not necessarily more desirable models) consoles have a higher absolute quantity of failures, but not necessarily a higher unit failure rate.

The great news is that in 2017 there are solid choices from more than one vendor in every price category, so if you are allergic to A&H, Behringer, or whoever else, you can make music with something else.

Personally, I enjoy my GLDs very much and would take a DLive if given one, but since I flirt with being overweight in 26,000lb GVW trucks on many shows, every 100lbs I allocate to infrastructure - that is anything the audience can't see or hear - takes away from lighting, video, etc.  That makes the allure of a higher-class desk hard to justify for me. 
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 01:16:14 PM by TJ (Tom) Cornish »

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2017, 01:37:31 PM »

And if you intend to climb into a broadcast truck to do a music show you'd better jump on the LAWO bus.

Unless it's an All Mobile Video truck, in which case you need to get on the Studer bus. Of course there's likely to be a separate music mix truck, and Music Mix Mobile (M3) is now LAWO.

Mac

Scott Helmke

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2017, 02:02:13 PM »

I used to have a quote from at least a century ago about lathe operators. The gist of it was that they tended to be fiercely loyal to the brand of lathe that they used, and dismissive (if not hostile) towards any other brands.

Nothing new to see here, move along.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2017, 03:24:29 PM »

Unless it's an All Mobile Video truck, in which case you need to get on the Studer bus. Of course there's likely to be a separate music mix truck, and Music Mix Mobile (M3) is now LAWO.

Mac

Lawo's built in Dolby Atmos engine is amazing.  The console can encode the metadata live.  The interface is gorgeous too (from a software guy). 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2017, 03:46:34 PM »

Part of the FB thread and my PM conversation with the person in question included (IMO) unsubstantiated reports to the effect of "every A&H console I have encountered has problems and my company has removed 500 broken A&H consoles from venues and replaced them with something else". 

I might scrape off the hyperbole and agree that his firm has replaced broken A&H mixers that were 20 years old, that came from installations where they were never looked at again (nice rooms to dive bars) or were bounced around in the back of old trucks for years.  Hell, I've replaced Yamahas and Soundcrafts for the same reasons...

The rest strikes me as either pandering gear snobbery or simple "feminine hygiene appliance" mentality.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2017, 03:48:29 PM »

^^^Testify^^^  That's actual real world talkin.  Down in the damp and slippery trenches where this s--t git dun boyz.
The best mixer is one that someone else paid for and then pays me to run.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Aisle 6

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2017, 06:03:47 PM »

The best mixer is the one at FOH that is fully functional, has the features I need to mix my artist and is sufficiently familiar to me that I can control it quickly and masterfully.  Brand?  Less important.

Now this is the real world talking...very well put.

Peter Morris

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2017, 02:56:57 AM »

The best mixer is one that someone else paid for and then pays me to run.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I'm the opposite, I make a lot more money paying someone to  operate my mixer(s) than mixing myself.  In that respect Allen & Heath have always been a great investment, its often the non-rider stuff where the $$$ are  :)

FWIW  if Audiotonix had put a Digco badge on the dLive and double the price all the naysayers would be in awe  :D
« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 03:01:48 AM by Peter Morris »

Art Nadelman

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2017, 12:00:56 PM »

FWIW  if Audiotonix had put a Digco badge on the dLive and double the price all the naysayers would be in awe  :D

An SD Live, perhaps?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2017, 12:18:31 PM »

It's always difficult for a lower end brand to pull itself up to a point where it is compteting at the top tier.
If Soundtracks hadn't changed it's name to Digico I think we might be having a similar discussion about their brand image.
Yes..it is ironic how they are now sister companies.
The A&H may find it's comfortable nice in the church market which in no way demeans it's image.
Can you name another console that can make 8 iPad mixes with no work surface ?
And if you intend to climb into a broadcast truck to do a music show you'd better jump on the LAWO bus.

Yes and +1.

I didn't encounter very many Soundtraks mixers and I'm glad I didn't.  Every one of the had problems - intermittent channels, phantom power issues... whatever else they did when they adopted the DigiCo badge, it replaced a failing brand image with a new one.

The DigiCo apologists amaze me (they're like annoying Apple fanboys):  if ANY other brand did what the SD7 did (lock up and require a reboot just by *talking* about the issue) there would be massive and hysterical finger pointing, great wailing and gnashing of teeth and general disparagement about the "absolute shite of a console" being pimped about.

I can't think of another brand of audio console where you need to carry a fully appointed spare (maybe even hot and powered up in a vom) in case the FOH or monitor desk takes a dive.  Never seen that with a PM4000... spare PSU, yes.  Full console?  Nope.  XL250?  Spare PSU.  PM5D?  Nope.  Avid Venue series?  This level of failure, of a *flagship model*, should have raise the collective howls of end users and owners alike.  The apologists say "carry another $100,000 spare..."
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2017, 12:18:31 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.