ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Proofreading fail  (Read 5885 times)

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
Re: Proofreading fail
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 02:34:33 PM »

My phone doesn't have autocorrect. It has automistake.

Indeed. And my phone has a "do disturb" mode, which I turn on now and then  ::)
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 03:17:20 PM »

Most people are terrible at proofreading stuff that they, themselves, wrote. You see what you think you wrote, not what's on the page. If it matters, get someone else to read it.

Or at the very least if you really have to do it yourself, read something else for a bit and then come back to it later, so it's not quite as thoroughly stuck in your mind from writing it.

If you're stuck alone, one (mildly painful) trick is to read the whole thing backwards word-by-word. This forces you to see each word's spelling and is good for spotting editoes such as repeated words. Launguage sucks. -F

My phone doesn't have autocorrect. It has automistake.

Indeed. And my phone has a "do disturb" mode, which I turn on now and then  ::)

That's it.
Frank wins the internet for today - well played dude, hope you have a great Christmas  :)

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 05:23:29 PM »

Proofread this...

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 05:50:31 PM »

Proofread this...

All for the want of a hyphen.

No picture, but back when I was working as a sports stringer for my then-local newspaper we had a typographical mis-spacing in a headline that reflected the governor signing many bills into law.  It should have read "Governor's Pen Is Busy."  Guess where the full em-space was left out...
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 05:53:22 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Robert Lofgren

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2017, 06:22:30 PM »

Perhaps he was one of the students  ;D

No picture, but back when I was working as a sports stringer for my then-local newspaper we had a typographical mis-spacing in a headline that reflected the governor signing many bills into law.  It should have read "Governor's Pen Is Busy."  Guess where the full em-space was left out...

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2017, 08:02:06 AM »

Ha! Fit's right in with today's headlines......
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2017, 09:03:47 AM »

Most people are terrible at proofreading stuff that they, themselves, wrote. You see what you think you wrote, not what's on the page. If it matters, get someone else to read it.

If you're stuck alone, one (mildly painful) trick is to read the whole thing backwards word-by-word. This forces you to see each word's spelling and is good for spotting editoes such as repeated words.
My wife used to work at a commercial print shop and that was a good trick.
Also, print it out. It's surprising what jumps off the page that you didn't see on the screen.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2017, 11:29:46 AM »

Also, print it out. It's surprising what jumps off the page that you didn't see on the screen.
This. I do my newsletters, etc, all on a ca. 2001 Powerbook G4, using Adobe Illustrator 8 for graphics and PageMaker 6.5 for the layout. The space bar on the laptop doesn't work consistently, so I use an external keyboard. I still print out a full proof to read through carefully to look for missing spaces, as they won't be easy to see on the screen.

It's definitely common to, after you've been staring at a work for awhile, to not see the blaring obvious mistake, so taking a break or having someone else review it is crucial.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2017, 01:03:16 PM »

Or hit "submit." ;-) I can proofread what I write several times over, and I swear the computer throws in a few errors when I click Submit, because the I don't see the errors until after it's committed. That's why a large percentage of my posts (all over the place) are edited.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2017, 04:18:13 PM »

This. I do my newsletters, etc, all on a ca. 2001 Powerbook G4, using Adobe Illustrator 8 for graphics and PageMaker 6.5 for the layout. The space bar on the laptop doesn't work consistently, so I use an external keyboard. I still print out a full proof to read through carefully to look for missing spaces, as they won't be easy to see on the screen.

It's definitely common to, after you've been staring at a work for awhile, to not see the blaring obvious mistake, so taking a break or having someone else review it is crucial.

-Ray

The trick i was taught was to print it out and read it upside down.  Fortunately, i can read upside down almost as fast as right side up, so this trick works well for me.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2017, 04:18:13 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.