ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Really Apple??  (Read 12091 times)

Ron Bolte

• Mmmmm.. ok...
Re: Really Apple??
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2017, 01:15:20 PM »

We had a luddite show up at SLSO who said he was bringing his "drive" for  his presentation. He showed up with his work tower computer, no monitor or keyboard.  VGA iirc.

After it was working the auditorium saw confidential HR info for quite some time while he found the correct Word doc for his presentation.  He was department head at a local university.
...and his tax return if you remember correctly...
We still share that story when people want to bring their own.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2017, 04:19:54 PM »

I've told this story here before but...

I was doing a HUGE medical conference.  Multiple delay video screens as well as fiber runs to remote locations.  No expense spared.  Since it was an international conference, the video department was well prepared with virtually any kind of video/graphics display system you can find in multiple formats.  Picture a 24 foot table with an endless array of computers and video decks of all possible flavors. There was also a couple of very experienced people available to do nothing but sort this out for the show.

Show is in full swing when this bigwig doctor that had been flown into the conference at great expense shows up, three minutes before he's about to be announced, and hands the graphics department a cocktail napkin with some scribbles on it and says "i need you to deesplay dees on da screens".  Much scrambling ensued while the suitable "Overhead Projector with Video output" was sourced and routed.  As i recall, they got the image into the system about 30 seconds before he called for it.

Moral or the story.  Be prepared for anything, including having to scramble for the thing you didn't prepare for....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2017, 11:52:34 AM »

I've told this story here before but...

I was doing a HUGE medical conference.  Multiple delay video screens as well as fiber runs to remote locations.  No expense spared.  Since it was an international conference, the video department was well prepared with virtually any kind of video/graphics display system you can find in multiple formats.  Picture a 24 foot table with an endless array of computers and video decks of all possible flavors. There was also a couple of very experienced people available to do nothing but sort this out for the show.

Show is in full swing when this bigwig doctor that had been flown into the conference at great expense shows up, three minutes before he's about to be announced, and hands the graphics department a cocktail napkin with some scribbles on it and says "i need you to deesplay dees on da screens".  Much scrambling ensued while the suitable "Overhead Projector with Video output" was sourced and routed.  As i recall, they got the image into the system about 30 seconds before he called for it.

Moral or the story.  Be prepared for anything, including having to scramble for the thing you didn't prepare for....

I'd have made photocopies and taped them to the projection screens, fulfilling the good doctor's request. ;)

I guess it didn't occur to anyone to frame a camera shot of the napkin and use frame store?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2017, 12:35:24 PM »

So here is what is really frustraing to me with Apple.  (I wasn't directly involved in the video aspect-so not 100% sure what was up).  Our pastor just bought a bround new "latest and greatest" Macbook-last night he decided to use it to show some pics/video.  We sorely need to replace out house projector, so we went with a makeshift projector on a table that was a better projector.  The Epson projector and new Macbook refused to play nice, even using Apple's little dongle thingy that is supposed to bail people out with the new USB-C.  An older Macbook with an HDMI out worked fine.

Looking at Q-Labs documentation they specifically caution against using USB-HDMI solutions for video with Q-LAb.

What are we missing/needing to make the newest Apple iteration work in this situation?
Steve Swaffer

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2017, 06:03:39 PM »

So here is what is really frustraing to me with Apple.  (I wasn't directly involved in the video aspect-so not 100% sure what was up).  Our pastor just bought a bround new "latest and greatest" Macbook-last night he decided to use it to show some pics/video.  We sorely need to replace out house projector, so we went with a makeshift projector on a table that was a better projector.  The Epson projector and new Macbook refused to play nice, even using Apple's little dongle thingy that is supposed to bail people out with the new USB-C.  An older Macbook with an HDMI out worked fine.

Looking at Q-Labs documentation they specifically caution against using USB-HDMI solutions for video with Q-LAb.

What are we missing/needing to make the newest Apple iteration work in this situation?

usb video is not the same as thunderbolt to hdmi. 

What do you mean they refused to play nice?  I’m doing latest and greatest MacBook with a thunderbolt3 hdmi adapter and Qlab and it works fine. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2017, 06:24:48 PM »

Can you take a CGA input? How about SCART?

There are so many possible connectors and output formats it's hard to keep track of it all, and hard to ensure that you can display whatever output someone brings you.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2017, 06:49:58 PM »

usb video is not the same as thunderbolt to hdmi. 

What do you mean they refused to play nice?  I’m doing latest and greatest MacBook with a thunderbolt3 hdmi adapter and Qlab and it works fine. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Once we got a display (trying to mirror displays) after that it wouldn't recognize the display.  Is the USB-C different than USB and actually Thunderbolt?  I am somewhat confused by Aplle's description. 

Found out we were using the Apple dongle that converts the 2 USB-C to a couple of full size USB and an HDMI.  Not using Q-Lab in this case-but I need to find a way to reliably use Q-LAb in the future.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 07:24:50 PM by Stephen Swaffer »
Steve Swaffer

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2017, 07:18:13 PM »

I'd have made photocopies and taped them to the projection screens, fulfilling the good doctor's request. ;)

I guess it didn't occur to anyone to frame a camera shot of the napkin and use frame store?

I suppose nowadays we would just shoot a pic of it with an iPhone and AirDrop it to the display computer.  :)

I do think that what you are suggesting was their plan B, but someone was able to get the in-house AV guys to run a Overhead Projector thingy [basically a video camera suspended over a tabletop surface with built-in lighting; i'm forgetting what they used to call those things...] over and they got it patched in.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2017, 08:33:34 PM »

I suppose nowadays we would just shoot a pic of it with an iPhone and AirDrop it to the display computer.  :)

I do think that what you are suggesting was their plan B, but someone was able to get the in-house AV guys to run a Overhead Projector thingy [basically a video camera suspended over a tabletop surface with built-in lighting; i'm forgetting what they used to call those things...] over and they got it patched in.
Document camera?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2017, 01:20:40 AM »

Document camera?
Had a show a couple of months back.  The presenter had the latest and greatest high end Apple laptop with the best display money could buy.  I had break out room grade 12K projector and rear projection.  On the plus side I had a Barco S3 for processing.

Really the projector was the kind that traded bright for any semblance of good color rendering.  I could get accurate color but at a severe penalty in brightness.  He just could not understand why I could not match his high end mac AND have it really bright!

The document cams just plain sucked.  We were using them for demonstration.  First one was VERY low resolution and so old I had to pull an old Folsom image pro out of storage just to get it into the S3.  Second one had HDMI out but the internal processing was painfully slow.  About a 3 count from moving your hands to movement on the screen.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: December 19, 2017, 01:20:40 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 20 queries.