ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Really Apple??  (Read 12088 times)

Al Rettich

Really Apple??
« on: December 13, 2017, 01:51:54 PM »

Here it is, 2017 almost 2018 and a (extremely) large amount of people own iPhones. However, Apple still won’t let you make a Hyperlink on a iPhone within the Mail app.  Seriously??  How absurd? That’s like Delta not overselling 60% of their flights. 

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Really Apple??
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 02:23:44 PM »

As a tech industry worker I don't get Apple in general. The common theme with them since the beginning has always been that they just work better, they do have some very elegant products but they only work better within their own little world, as soon as you try to interface with the outside world things get complicated. I supplied a video projector for an event this past year, it was a modern unit with all the typical I/O.. HDMI, USB, VGA.  So guess what computer the customer shows up with to connect to the projector.. a MAC of course...  which doesn't natively support any of those formats.. and of course they didn't bring the adapter for that Apple only I/O port and it was Sunday 5pm over a long weekend so it's not like you could run down to the local corner store to buy one.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 02:30:54 PM »

Here it is, 2017 almost 2018 and a (extremely) large amount of people own iPhones. However, Apple still won’t let you make a Hyperlink on a iPhone within the Mail app.  Seriously??  How absurd? That’s like Delta not overselling 60% of their flights.

Well you can do it in a laptop, just not in an iPhone - just show the link.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:36:13 PM by Pete Erskine »
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 02:32:50 PM »

As a tech industry worker I don't get Apple in general. The common theme with them since the beginning has always been that they just work better, they do have some very elegant products but they only work better within their own little world, as soon as you try to interface with the outside world things get complicated. I supplied a video projector for an event this past year, it was a modern unit with all the typical I/O.. HDMI, USB, VGA.  So guess what computer the customer shows up with to connect to the projector.. a MAC of course...  which doesn't natively support any of those formats.. and of course they didn't bring the adapter for that Apple only I/O port and it was Sunday 5pm over a long weekend so it's not like you could run down to the local corner store to buy one.

Probably 90% of the video playback I deal with comes off a Mac, and probably 50% for the presentation graphics. It is generally distributed either as HDMI or HD/SDI. If you are not prepared for the output of what is one of the most common video and graphics sources in the industry you just came unprepared.

Mac

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 02:41:23 PM »

Probably 90% of the video playback I deal with comes off a Mac, and probably 50% for the presentation graphics. It is generally distributed either as HDMI or HD/SDI. If you are not prepared for the output of what is one of the most common video and graphics sources in the industry you just came unprepared.

Mac
Yeah. All of the newer Powerbooks are coming with HDMI (well, now, USB-C, but let's not get distracted with that...). So, it should be easy to run it straight to your projector. (Switcher? Beware HDCP problems...) I've always kept a pouch of random adapters in my work case- not only a VGA turnaround, but also Thunderbolt to VGA, Thunderbolt to HDMI, and the older DisplayPort to VGA and DVI. I've just picked up some USB-C to (whatever) dongles-- even though I don't personally own any computers with USB-C, it's my job to be as prepared as possible to ensure my clients are successful.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 03:03:21 PM »

Yeah. All of the newer Powerbooks are coming with HDMI (well, now, USB-C, but let's not get distracted with that...). So, it should be easy to run it straight to your projector. (Switcher? Beware HDCP problems...) I've always kept a pouch of random adapters in my work case- not only a VGA turnaround, but also Thunderbolt to VGA, Thunderbolt to HDMI, and the older DisplayPort to VGA and DVI. I've just picked up some USB-C to (whatever) dongles-- even though I don't personally own any computers with USB-C, it's my job to be as prepared as possible to ensure my clients are successful.

-Ray
Powerbooks?  1994 called and wanted their product name back.  :)

The new MacBook Pros are moving to USB-C, so having adapters for HDMI, Mini-Display port, Big Display Port, and USB-C are all necessary doing AV work in 2017.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 03:52:33 PM »

Powerbooks?  1994 called and wanted their product name back.  :)

The new MacBook Pros are moving to USB-C, so having adapters for HDMI, Mini-Display port, Big Display Port, and USB-C are all necessary doing AV work in 2017.
You nailed it. I did get my first Powerbook (model 520, 12MB RAM, 160MB HD, 9.4" passive matrix greyscale display) in the fall of 94. Woo hoo!

Either way, keeping up with CURRENT connections is good, but you also never know when some exec is going to balls in with their ca. 2004 PowerBook 12.1" with the DisplayPort, and you need to make it work....

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 04:47:03 PM »

You came unprepared, we have a draw full of video equipment, including a decent set of "macbook adapters".
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Tom Bourke

• http://www.cwalv.com
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 01:33:28 AM »

You came unprepared, we have a draw full of video equipment, including a decent set of "macbook adapters".
Given the number of rooms we have where I work and the cost of Apple adapters it's $2500 for every new version Apple decides to use.  That's not counting multiples per room, failed units, other manufactures, or the ones that walk off.  I don't even want to talk about the BS problems with HDCP.
I have a mild form of Dyslexia that affects my ability to spell.  I do use spell checking to help but it does not always work.  My form of Dyslexia does not affect my reading.  Dyslexics of the world untie! <a href="http://www.cwalv.com" target="_blank">http://www.cwalv.com</a>

Lyle Williams

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 03:03:16 AM »

So you do AV but don't have displayport, mini displayport, mini hdmi, etc adapters on hand?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 03:03:16 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 22 queries.