ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Touring with your own desk  (Read 6194 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Touring with your own desk
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 04:07:49 PM »

I can understand FLYING with your own console IF:

1) it's a special configuration of a standard commercial mixer - i.e. maxed out DSP cards, special i/o package (lots of AES inputs/outputs, for example), etc.

2) it's a specialty or boutique product where you can't reasonably expect for the local PA shop to have one or be able to hire in from a local source.

3) your workflow has led you to install personal stuff (like a Mac Mini for ProTools rec, walk in/set change music, and Smaart) in the doghouse or behind the keyboard, or you've otherwise modified the packaging to stash the stuff you want to remain hooked up and available (and that would be a big pain to install on the console du Jour if you traveled only with those items).

If you're strictly on a bus & trailer or bus & truck tour, it's a matter of space and weight.  From the band's perspective it makes more $$ sense to carry more merch than a console no matter the size or weight of the mixer.  Your mixer is an expense, merchandise is income...

I'm presuming you're in the EU or close to it, Leonardo, and I'm not familiar with the size/weight restrictions of the airlines you'd likely be flying.  Helge and others closer to you will have more specific advice.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

bharat bhushan

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 09:29:40 AM »

Hello,

I have a question, how do you travel with your own desk when you go on tour and you have to fly? Do you usually ship the board? what is the best way of touring with your own desk?

I would like to buy mine, but I will tour all around the world and I was wondering if it is worth it or is better ranting it everytime

Thank you

Cheers
you could try Midas M32rack and mix with a tablet or computer with a faderbank on side,, or Waves emotion Lv rig if you are a computer geek.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:32:04 AM by bharat bhushan »

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 10:49:01 AM »

you could try Midas M32rack and mix with a tablet or computer with a faderbank on side,, or Waves emotion Lv rig if you are a computer geek.
The OP already has the console selected. He's not asking for console recommendations, rather questions about the logistical aspects of bringing a console on airplanes with him in general.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 02:46:56 PM »

you could try Midas M32rack
I don't think there's an M32-Rack, AFAIK there's only the X32-Rack.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2017, 02:57:11 PM »

Hello,

I have a question, how do you travel with your own desk when you go on tour and you have to fly? Do you usually ship the board? what is the best way of touring with your own desk?

I would like to buy mine, but I will tour all around the world and I was wondering if it is worth it or is better ranting it everytime

Thank you

Cheers

Most of the airlines have a 'media pass' provision that allows you to check as baggage things like mixing consoles for reduced fees.  This is how i usually travel with gear.  I'm a United guy, and United will let me go up to 100 pounds per piece domestically and 70 pounds per piece internationally for 50 dollars per case.

If you want to fly with your own mixing console, it needs to be small, and most importantly, Very Lightweight.  I have flown multiple times with both a Yamaha QL1 and a Midas M32R.  Both are rack width desks and pretty lightweight.  Still, the only way i get under the weight limit is by using a pelican case with custom foam cutouts rather than a true ATA flight case.  If you want to use the Dlive family, you may be able to cheat the weight a little bit since the surface and processing are two different cases.  Still, it takes very careful attention to weight to get away with flying with a mixing console.

Keep in mind also that the baggage handlers are going to beat the daylights out of your desk, so plan accordingly.  Any loose ribbon cables will quickly be found after just one or two flights.

Good Luck!
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Aisle 6

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 11:21:02 PM »

I often fly my d-live which I have cased and under 32kgs. Depends on the tour though.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 11:21:02 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.