ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Touring with your own desk  (Read 6188 times)

Leonardo Bertinelli

Touring with your own desk
« on: December 13, 2017, 10:26:47 AM »

Hello,

I have a question, how do you travel with your own desk when you go on tour and you have to fly? Do you usually ship the board? what is the best way of touring with your own desk?

I would like to buy mine, but I will tour all around the world and I was wondering if it is worth it or is better ranting it everytime

Thank you

Cheers

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Touring with your own desk
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 10:40:09 AM »

Hello,

I have a question, how do you travel with your own desk when you go on tour and you have to fly? Do you usually ship the board? what is the best way of touring with your own desk?

I would like to buy mine, but I will tour all around the world and I was wondering if it is worth it or is better ranting it everytime

Thank you

Cheers
What desk are you talking about?  Yamaha PM5000? Allen-Heath Zed 10? That makes a pretty big difference.

There are a few people that travel with very small desks, but size and weight restrictions make it tough and expensive.  If you're going where there is no gear to be had then shipping your desk may be the only choice, but in that case the mixer may be the least of your problems.  Where are you going to get mics/instruments/PA?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 11:06:19 AM »

Hello,

Thank you

Cheers

There are a couple of Mixerpersons who fly with their own desks, but those desks tend to be very small, boutique mixers that will fit in carry on or as checked baggage.

I'm not sure there is a really good reason to fly out common mixers, even relatively compact mixers.  You should probably keep "show files" on a USB memory stick instead, and add to it when you encounter a mixer you've not used before.

Upload your show files to a cloud account, too, so when you inevitably forget your USB stick you'll still have access to your show files.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 05:27:01 PM »

Very common thing over here.

Any mixer that can be under 23kg in a case.
Stagerack + some accesories in a flight under 23kg.
Mic package + laptop as carry-on.
Ask for mic cables+stands+multicore when you advance the gig. People tend to get a cat-multicore based desk because catcables are usually available everywhere.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 05:37:00 PM »

I am not suggesting that this is the "right" console for your application (because we don't have any idea what you need yet) but for smaller events the QSC Touchmix series are very portable and could be carry on luggage.  I have also heard of people using some of the many rack mount "snake box" mixers (Mackie DL32R , Presonus RM32AI, et al) and a computer or tablet.  With the advent of digital mixing, things have become much smaller and more portable.  It's a whole new world!

Marjan Milosevic

• MM-acoustics
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 06:52:00 PM »

And what would you do when they mix up your "luggage" and send it to the Middle East instead of Montreal where you are headed? And that sadly happens too often.

Peter Morris

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 07:06:49 PM »

Very common thing over here.

Any mixer that can be under 23kg in a case.
Stagerack + some accesories in a flight under 23kg.
Mic package + laptop as carry-on.

I believe you can package up Allen & Heath's baby dLive or the new SQ to meet the required size & weight.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 04:01:09 AM by Peter Morris »

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 10:20:26 PM »

Just tell the tour manager that you are bringing your own console and will need space for it on the sound truck. Make sure you have a good road case for it and heavy duty road worthy casters.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Steven Barnes

• SBTS Inc.
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 09:41:40 AM »

Just tell the tour manager that you are bringing your own console and will need space for it on the sound truck. Make sure you have a good road case for it and heavy duty road worthy casters.

There are a couple options I have seen before, but depends on the console you are looking to carry.

For large format consoles that you can't fly with.
- If it is a big enough tour and they have one global rig that is shipped around it goes with the sound company. You are responsible for getting the console to their shop for prep and they handle it from there.
- If not it is part of the bands backline package that they always carry and just shows up on that truck.

For small format consoles
- Keep it in a fly pack and make sure you can meet the common luggage restrictions and take it with you.
Audio Engineering, Design, Consulting
SBTS Inc.
www.sbts-inc.com

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 03:46:39 PM »

What desk are you talking about?

I’m going to wager it’s an incarnation of the dLive based on his identical post in the dLive section of the A&H forums.  I think the smallest configuration can fit the bill for generic luggage, but beyond that he’d be looking at the other options outlined above by you and the others. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 03:46:39 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 19 queries.