ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: scrappy weather  (Read 4426 times)

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
scrappy weather
« on: December 12, 2017, 09:53:13 PM »

It's been cold/rainy/snowy around the Raleigh, NC area.  Last Saturday, I provided a 2 x speaker PA for vocals for a Christmas parade (for an MC) for one of the surrounding cities.  I enjoy these smaller events... less to setup/tear-down and I can actually "sit back" and enjoy the event.  However, the weather was distracting.  A lot of people actually came out to watch (more than I thought).

Speakers: 2 x Yamaha DSR-115.

Board and wireless mic receiver are in the back of my cargo van (where it was warm and dry).

The tarps on the speakers are the vinyl type; each tarp weighed about 8 lbs; certainly worth the extra weight to help keep them down from the occasional gust of wind.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: scrappy weather
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 01:40:01 AM »

Bob, get the official Yamaha weather covers.  The front outer cover unzips and you fold it up across the top of the speaker; there is a pop-out "tent" for the controls and connections and allows ventilation for the amplifier.

The front has a mesh that wicks water down to drain off.

It's a slick system and looks nicer than the trash bags I'd used in the past. 8)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 08:08:19 AM »

Bob - you were mere yards away from my home at the arts center down academy st...   glad all went well.  If you ever are in the same spot and need more than the outlet on the outside of the bank, let me know.  We have L14-30s in the power pedestal across the street by the auto shop, with underground cable chases to cross the intersection....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2017, 04:07:59 PM »

Bob, get the official Yamaha weather covers.  The front outer cover unzips and you fold it up across the top of the speaker; there is a pop-out "tent" for the controls and connections and allows ventilation for the amplifier.

It's a slick system and looks nicer than the trash bags I'd used in the past. 8)

+1
I am using Undercover NYC weather covers for my EV speakers but the Yamaha design seems cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 04:48:39 PM »

Another Undercover NYC user here, but I'm interested in the Yamaha offering... couldn't find it with a quick 1-minute search on Google. Any links to the Yamaha weatherproof cover?

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 05:23:47 PM »

Thanks Tim - I've seen covers in the past, but wasn't sure what I was looking at.  At the time I scheduled the event with the organizers, there were was to be no rain; I hate using tarps.  I rarely have weather related issues on outdoor shows... maybe my good-luck is ending.

Bob - you were mere yards away from my home at the arts center down academy st...   glad all went well.  If you ever are in the same spot and need more than the outlet on the outside of the bank, let me know.  We have L14-30s in the power pedestal across the street by the auto shop, with underground cable chases to cross the intersection....

Hi Cailen - yes, you are just down the road!  The single outlet at the bank seems to be doing good, but if they ever need to send audio further down S. Academy St (from the bank), I may need more current for the line array I would need to use.  Thanks for the offer!  Had no idea there was power "hiding" near the auto shop.  I've provided a PA for them for about 6 years now, and there was only one other time it rained.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 05:25:53 PM »

Thanks Tim - I've seen covers in the past, but wasn't sure what I was looking at.  At the time I scheduled the event with the organizers, there were was to be no rain; I hate using tarps.  I rarely have weather related issues on outdoor shows... maybe my good-luck is ending.
Hi Cailen - yes, you are just down the road!  The single outlet at the bank seems to be doing good, but if they ever need to send audio further down S. Academy St (from the bank), I may need more current for the line array I would need to use.  Thanks for the offer!  Had no idea there was power "hiding" near the auto shop.  I've provided a PA for them for about 6 years now, and there was only one other time it rained.

We have around 25 50a California or stove plug connectors down academy st now....

I got a lot of wire put in the ground when we renovated the street.

Glad everything survived the rain!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 04:41:34 PM »

Another Undercover NYC user here, but I'm interested in the Yamaha offering... couldn't find it with a quick 1-minute search on Google. Any links to the Yamaha weatherproof cover?

Video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md4Zkpjtb6g
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Fruits

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 05:31:35 PM »

If you are price checking, Full Compass lists them.  Also worth checking with Mike Pyle for prices.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 06:06:10 PM »

We have around 25 50a California or stove plug connectors down academy st now....

I got a lot of wire put in the ground when we renovated the street.

Glad everything survived the rain!

Big fan of getting copper in the ground whenever you can.  Even an unfilled conduit if nothing else...

Eliminating trip hazards and providing permanent places power is available helps with future events and use planning.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 06:06:10 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 20 queries.