ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Carvin prices misleading  (Read 3979 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Carvin prices misleading
« on: December 12, 2017, 05:42:09 PM »

I get emails from Carvin.
The first batch after the closing announcement  reflected 20% closeout discount and I took advantage of a couple of things. Then a week or so later it went down to 10% and shows many items out of stock.
Today I get an email advertising 20% again but this time "prices already discounted". I went on to the website to take a quick look and checked out a few things - all the prices are what they were before the sale. In other words, they are advertising 20% off but charging full price.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:37:27 PM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
Re: Calvin price scam.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 06:28:47 PM »

Do prices update with 20% off in a shopping cart?

What is the 20% off of? MSRP? Or MAP/Street?

I wouldn't be so quick to exclaim "price scam!" without seeing exactly what they're doing... yeah, sometimes things might seem sketchy/very careful interpretation, but not actually a scam.

-Ray "Devil's Advocate" Aberle
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Carvin prices misleading .
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 08:17:13 PM »

Do prices update with 20% off in a shopping cart?

What is the 20% off of? MSRP? Or MAP/Street?

I wouldn't be so quick to exclaim "price scam!" without seeing exactly what they're doing... yeah, sometimes things might seem sketchy/very careful interpretation, but not actually a scam.

-Ray "Devil's Advocate" Aberle

Well... I put a couple of items in my cart and they did not reflect any  discount and remained at the full price they have been for some time. There is no discount code either.
The items I placed in my cart were either ones I had already purchased recently or been watching  so I would notice any discounted prices.
I probably shouldn't have used the word 'scam' - it gets used too much and in this instance might have been far too harsh and inappropriate....
Let me take that back and just say false advertising. How's that??
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 08:37:52 PM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 11:52:24 PM »

It's SOP for stores that are closing to hire a company to sell off everything.
The first thing they do is raise all the 'normal' price tags so the 20-50% off sale seems real.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2017, 05:45:35 AM »

Cavin's closing? It does say "Most" items 20% off...

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 10:13:56 AM »

Mike;

Yes, their facebook page went down a week or so ago. I think there now is a Carvin Audio Mexico.... Not sure what that means or if it was always there.
Their home page is up but all sales final. ;-)   https://carvinaudio.com/

Enjoy your holiday season!
Doug  (Northern Maine)

https://reverb.com/news/carvin-audio-announces-closure-after-70-years-in-business

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 05:13:44 PM »

The website says "most' but the email flyer was worded differently.
There appears to be very little left to get rid of now - most items show 'out of stock'.

Rob Dellwood

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2017, 06:50:46 PM »

The website says "most' but the email flyer was worded differently.
There appears to be very little left to get rid of now - most items show 'out of stock'.

I watch a lot of their items for sale on eBay. Their EM900 in-ear rig has had the price changed numerous times, in a bizarre manner. Just the other day, it was listed for $310.50, and several were sold at that price. It has now gone up to $345. 

The 'close out' prices and discounts on their website have changed often also, as you noted. I'm unable to figure out why they are doing this.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2017, 08:22:20 PM »

I watch a lot of their items for sale on eBay. Their EM900 in-ear rig has had the price changed numerous times, in a bizarre manner. Just the other day, it was listed for $310.50, and several were sold at that price. It has now gone up to $345. 

The 'close out' prices and discounts on their website have changed often also, as you noted. I'm unable to figure out why they are doing this.

Yes - this is the point I was making really. There has been no rhyme or reason to their pricing during this closeout sale period.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
Re: Carvin prices misleading
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 01:33:48 PM »

Carvin is closing.  They are doing what they can to maximize the $$ selling their remaining inventory.  Don't expect things to be predictable during this period.

Honestly, if you know that a manufacturer is closing their doors, why would you consider purchasing anything from them?  There will be NO post sales support if the company is closed down. Unless you can get product at throw away prices, it's hard to justify spending money with them.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Carvin prices misleading
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 01:33:48 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 19 queries.