ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Future of synergies in IEM and mic inventory  (Read 3565 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Future of synergies in IEM and mic inventory
« on: December 12, 2017, 02:25:49 PM »

Hello all,

I’ve been developing an inventory of wireless products for my small company over the last year. We have mostly ULX-D systems, and a couple UHF-R, and PSM900 systems. Some established local companies that have inventories of more Axient Analog, UHF-R and PSM1000 are able to get some great synergy from that inventory and do point to point audio distribution projects.

We currently intend to expand our microphone inventory with more ULX-D and Axient Digital systems, but if we add on PSM1000 we won’t see have a large inventory of compatible products like these other companies and will be missing out. It seems like we are really missing an ‘Axient Digital IEM’ that would be compatible with Axient Digital or ULX-D Receivers. Any rumors of anything like this in the horizon? What are other companies interested in new IEM and Microphone inventory thinking right now?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Sam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
Re: Future of synergies in IEM and mic inventory
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 04:40:19 PM »

It seems like we are really missing an ‘Axient Digital IEM’ that would be compatible with Axient Digital or ULX-D Receivers. Any rumors of anything like this in the horizon? What are other companies interested in new IEM and Microphone inventory thinking right now?

I've tried to have this conversation with Shure several times over the last few months, and everyone is holding the company line when one of the first words out of their mouth is 'latency'.  I've never gotten the words "no, we're not doing it" but they are being tight-lipped.  Lectrosonics is doing it with their M2/Duet system, so clearly it can be done, but whether or not Shure will do it is another question.

Shure did a "dinner 'n learn" at the AES meeting in DC about a week ago.  They talked mostly about spectrum but did run through a brief demo of the Axient Digital system.  One of the things they mentioned is that the algorithms in that system were new and unique to that product.  They seemed very excited about this fact in the way they brought it up, and it did make me think "Hmm, maybe there's a companion IEM in the works" but nothing was brought up.

Fun fact about Axient Digital - the Quadversity feature is only available on the 4ch receiver, even though the ports on the 2ch receiver are still labeled A through D.   :o

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 04:49:49 PM »

Thanks Brian. We can only speculate I suppose. I don’t want to buy into PSM1000 only to quickly be scooped by a new release, *and* have a bunch of non-compatible inventory.

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 05:23:35 PM »

hey

yeah I'm almost certain that Shure, Sennheiser etc have all been working on this behind the scenes, but latency has always been the killer.  And it's not just latency on the actual IEM's themselves, there'll also be some latency through the desk and any processing etc too, and it's the total latency that causes the problem, as little as 5ms can be just enough to be wierd for a good singer and throw them off.

It is getting better, with pretty much all desks moving to 96k now which (usually) speeds up that part of the latency significantly.  If you can then AES/EBU straight into the IEM transmitters and save an A/D conversion, send to the pack, and have it's transition and D/A conversion quick enough, you'll get there. And as said Lectrosonics are doing it so it IS possible.

K

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 11:00:23 AM »

It seems like we are really missing an ‘Axient Digital IEM’ that would be compatible with Axient Digital or ULX-D Receivers. Any rumors of anything like this in the horizon? What are other companies interested in new IEM and Microphone inventory thinking right now?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Sam

Lectrosonics Duet.  Digital IEM with 1.4ms latency on analog in and 1ms on Dante in.  Full 470-608MHz post-repack UHF-TV tuning bandwidth.  Rock solid RF and sounds incredible.  2 stereo mixes or 4 mono in 1/2RU chassis.  Price point same as PSM-1000 per stereo mix.  Now shipping.

http://www.lectrosonics.com/US/Wireless-IFB/category/218-iem-in-ear-monitor.html

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 11:14:07 AM »

Lectrosonics Duet.  Digital IEM with 1.4ms latency on analog in and 1ms on Dante in.  Full 470-608MHz post-repack UHF-TV tuning bandwidth.  Rock solid RF and sounds incredible.  2 stereo mixes or 4 mono in 1/2RU chassis.  Price point same as PSM-1000 per stereo mix.  Now shipping.

http://www.lectrosonics.com/US/Wireless-IFB/category/218-iem-in-ear-monitor.html

Looks like a nice product. I think we can assume it’s not compatible with ULXD or Axient Digital, though.

Jason Glass

• CleanWirelessAudio.com
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 11:21:04 AM »

Looks like a nice product. I think we can assume it’s not compatible with ULXD or Axient Digital, though.

What do you mean by compatible?  If you mean that they can be operated at the same time, they can.  Many, many channels can.  Likely more numerous than PSM1000 because they generate far lower level intermod products than analog systems, when properly deployed.

EDIT:  Sorry guys, somehow I missed the point-to-point requirement.  Now I understand.  DOH!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 11:24:14 AM by Jason Glass »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 11:21:04 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.