ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: EV Eliminator 18" - sideways?  (Read 10212 times)

Michael Hogeland

EV Eliminator 18" - sideways?
« on: December 12, 2017, 11:32:38 AM »

So, I picked up a pair of these EV Eliminator Sub cabinets.  The drivers have been upgraded, but that's not really important to my question.

What is the reasoning/benefit of the odd way of mounting the speaker inside this cabinet?

I've got a pair of PV 115's and I set them on top of the EV Subs - and the PVs hang over the sides....meaning the 18" sub cab is more narrow than the 15" speaker.  Obviously this means the 18" speaker is mounted in the sub cabinet...sideways? 

When the grate is pointing at the audience, the speaker is pointing to the left/right (a guess, I've not opened them up yet).

They sound good, I'm just wondering if this difference would affect optimal placement at the shows.  Would they both be pointing "right"?  Should I lay them down so they point up/down?  The pole mounts would indicate that they should be placed upright; but who knows....

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

(ps - fairly new to the sound game, been doing it about 2 years; I run sound for my pop/dance cover band)

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
Re: EV Eliminator 18" - sideways?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 11:42:10 AM »

Please change your name to reflect your real name as required by this forums rules. Once you've completed that task you'll receive replies to your request.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Michael Hogeland

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 12:00:48 PM »

Ah, sorry about that.  I remember reading that rule, but then the verbiage when it asked for a name wasn't clear. 

CHANGED!! 

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 01:47:39 PM »

Pole Mount up is normal yes.  this is a cabinet that has a small front and matches the tops, in size.  Narrow width and deeper in length and height. 

not easy to stack other speakers.  Narrow width can make them easy to tip over side to side. 

Michael Hogeland

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 02:02:07 PM »

I agree about the tip-over.  Even pole mounting I'm going to feel a lot more protective of them. 

But the question is - will they need placed differently from other "speaker-facing-front" subs?  Will the sound end up being directed more to the side of the club/stage if placed how they appear with the cage towards the audience?  OR since it's low htz waves that emanate all around more, will it not matter?

I've also been reading an article on 'Sound on Sound' about NOT placing your subs to the left/right of the stage (like everyone seems to) but instead coupling them together front and center.  The wave graphs the writer used to explain his point seemed awfully convincing.  With subs @ left/right of stage you'll get cancelling waves and dead spots.  With subs coupled front/center you gain dbs from coupling and have an even flow to the room...seems like a no-brainer.

But if that is true, why have I never seen that set-up before in live music?  I've been to my fair share of small-mid sized shows.   

Who knew buying a pair of subs was going to cause so much....thinking.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 02:09:13 PM »

I agree about the tip-over.  Even pole mounting I'm going to feel a lot more protective of them. 

But the question is - will they need placed differently from other "speaker-facing-front" subs?  Will the sound end up being directed more to the side of the club/stage if placed how they appear with the cage towards the audience?  OR since it's low htz waves that emanate all around more, will it not matter?

I've also been reading an article on 'Sound on Sound' about NOT placing your subs to the left/right of the stage (like everyone seems to) but instead coupling them together front and center.  The wave graphs the writer used to explain his point seemed awfully convincing.  With subs @ left/right of stage you'll get cancelling waves and dead spots.  With subs coupled front/center you gain dbs from coupling and have an even flow to the room...seems like a no-brainer.

But if that is true, why have I never seen that set-up before in live music?  I've been to my fair share of small-mid sized shows.   

As I said-don't worry about the direction.

There are advantages and disadvantages to center and side subs.

And most of the "arguments" go away when you put them inside a room.

The "argument" is for an open field situation.

The big disadvantage to center subs is that it WILL be a lot on stage and in the middle of the audience.

There will not be as many dips in various seats, but the SPL will be different.

Does that matter?  It depends on YOUR situation.  Some people don't care, others do.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 02:12:48 PM »

Center placement of subwoofers will "throw" 50% of the energy RIGHT BACK ONTO THE STAGE.  How much of your audience is on stage with you?  There are worse things than the "power alley" you allude to...

Everything - and I mean EVERYTHING - about speaker placement is a compromise once you use more that 1 loudspeaker.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Michael Hogeland

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 02:17:25 PM »

Good deal Ivan, thanks for the advice. 

As I said-don't worry about the direction.

Did I miss a reply somewhere?  If yes, apologies for asking twice, but I read back through the replies and didn't see it.  Possible it got deleted because I didn't follow the naming rules at first. 

Cheers gents - I'll keep the subs upright and facing won't matter - and left/center/right is personal/room based; more than likely not a huge deal. And per Tim might even be a stage volume hindrance placing them at the center. 

Good information for this newbie to get started! 

Michael Hogeland

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 02:44:00 PM »

Anyone know what the selling point was for the "sideways" speaker mount?  Size?  Acoustics?  Weight distribution?  Protection of the cone? 

Steve Garris

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 03:03:51 PM »

Anyone know what the selling point was for the "sideways" speaker mount?  Size?  Acoustics?  Weight distribution?  Protection of the cone?

They're calling it a vented quasi-bandpass design. It's the acoustical design of the box. Nothing to do with weight or protection of the cone.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 03:03:51 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.