ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for a 1-18" powered sub with universal voltage  (Read 6252 times)

Tony Mamoh

Looking for a 1-18" powered sub with universal voltage
« on: December 12, 2017, 11:12:53 AM »

I am looking to buy a pair of 1-18 powered subs with universal voltage. Meaning the power input must be 120-240v ac, or even a dip switch that toggles between 120v ac or 240v ac. I have seen the dipswitch option on the latest JBL EON single subs, while the JBL PRX 518 subs are 120  - 240v . I know that the JBL EON series are not considered the greatest by many pros and at best considered entry level gear. But I am seeking recommendations from folks that have knowledge of brands with the capability of using 120v and 24Ov.

Thanks!

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Looking for a 1-18" powered sub with universal voltage
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 12:03:18 PM »

I am looking to buy a pair of 1-18 powered subs with universal voltage. Meaning the power input must be 120-240v ac, or even a dip switch that toggles between 120v ac or 240v ac. I have seen the dipswitch option on the latest JBL EON single subs, while the JBL PRX 518 subs are 120  - 240v . I know that the JBL EON series are not considered the greatest by many pros and at best considered entry level gear. But I am seeking recommendations from folks that have knowledge of brands with the capability of using 120v and 24Ov.

Thanks!
Rather than look for a driver size, look for the specifics that you need.

Obviously you want switchable or universal power,

But what sort of output SPL (in the sub range) and freq response do you want/need.

Sometimes drivers other than 18" can give you that.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 12:30:23 PM »

To add on to Ivan.

Also,
Budget?
Weight?
Size?
Features (pole mount, dsp, connections, ethernet)
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Tony Mamoh

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 01:06:57 PM »

To add on to Ivan.
E
Also,
Budget? $500 - 800
Weight? 50 - 120 Ib
Size? Anything goes
Features (pole mount, dsp, connections, ethernet) Pole mount only. All other stuff like DSP/Ethernet, blue tooth are luxuries. All that is important are switchable/universal voltage, XLR and/or 1/4" jack connections.

Response embedded, and bold

Everything apart from switchable/universal voltage is a luxury. And it's got to be 18". I don't care if  the cabinet is wood, gold plated or  ABS molded. I can live with any SPL.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 01:47:23 PM by Tony Mamoh »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 02:11:19 PM »

It sounded like in your first post that you were also concerned about sound quality.

So basically anything that is cheap, has an 18" driver and universal power is ok?

Why an 18" driver?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tony Mamoh

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 03:22:03 PM »

It sounded like in your first post that you were also concerned about sound quality.

So basically anything that is cheap, has an 18" driver and universal power is ok?

Why an 18" driver?

The clients that pay the biggest bucks to rent my gear typically ask for 18" drivers. I have tried to be very specific about what I need, and deliberately excluded multiple other factors that are of little benefit to me. Again, the only important thing is switchable /auto voltage for a 1-18" sub. I am not interested in 1-15 or 2-18 subs or other wonderful contraptions. I am very specific about my requirement.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 03:28:07 PM »

The clients that pay the biggest bucks to rent my gear typically ask for 18" drivers. I have tried to be very specific about what I need, and deliberately excluded multiple other factors that are of little benefit to me. Again, the only important thing is switchable /auto voltage for a 1-18" sub. I am not interested in 1-15 or 2-18 subs or other wonderful contraptions. I am very specific about my requirement.
If you are renting your gear, your biggest concern should be reliability and ruggedness.  They won't rent it again even if they are the ones who "broke" it.

Tony Mamoh

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 03:59:22 PM »

If you are renting your gear, your biggest concern should be reliability and ruggedness.  They won't rent it again even if they are the ones who "broke" it.
Thanks for teaching me what my biggest concern should be. I'll greatly appreciate info on any subwoofer model that fits my description. Admittedly, perhaps it doesn't exist today, which will be a valid response!

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 04:50:58 PM »

You could, I dunno; google 18" subs and check the spec sheet for universal/120-240vac power supplies.

Incase you didn't notice; everyone here is reluctant to give you a list of subs because we'd rather know your application, desires, needs, first.

If we just said model xxx and yyy have 18" woofers and a universal power supply and you bought it and it "didn't work for you" because you forgot to mention that you needed it to have 1/4" inputs instead of xlr how would we be helping?

Just remember; we're all working professionals and we're not about to just start listing models that work based upon a very small dataset.

That would be like asking a painter to paint your house... well what colors for the walls, doors, baseboards, cabinents, outside, etc also, what type of paint do you want satin/gloss/eggshell/semi-gloss/flat...etc

"nah just paint the house with paint make sure you get 5gal buckets so it costs less."

Try to have an ounce of humility.

---

Here's a start. NOTE: THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT NOR AM I SUGGESTING ANYONE GET THESE.

-$550 Fender Fortis F-18SUB 18" Subwoofer
-$700 JBL EON 618S 18" Subwoofer
-$600 Alto TS218S 18" Powered Subwoofer
-$750 Avante AV18S

I did this in 20min by going to any online store and putting in powered subwoofer under 800$ and googgling the model number and looking at the spec sheet.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 05:41:23 PM »

You are asking a question that has a number of variables, of which we really don't know.

I know you are new here, but people really are trying to help you make a GOOD decision, not just any decision.

It is best to not get an attitude and help others help you.

A simple answer to a complex question results in WRONG answers.

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 05:41:23 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.