ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Question about digital boards.  (Read 5132 times)

duane massey

Question about digital boards.
« on: December 12, 2017, 01:10:47 AM »

Someone please educate on this. Is there any reason why a band that uses the same mixer with the same basic musicians/gear doesn't have at least a basic mix stored as a scene, and start with that at the beginning?
I've worked with several bands over the past 2+ years, and all are using digital consoles, some mix from stage, some have a FOH person. It seems that every single one starts from scratch at every gig, and no one has anything stored.
What am I missing?
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Derek Neu

Re: Question about digital boards.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 02:24:54 AM »

Not sure where you live, but up here in the northwest it is literally the exact opposite of that.  Every band I know who has their own digital has several basic mixes for various lineups and venues.  Why wouldnt you as that is a main selling point of them. 

Next time you see a band not doing this, slap them.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 02:33:37 AM »

Not sure where you live, but up here in the northwest it is literally the exact opposite of that.  Every band I know who has their own digital has several basic mixes for various lineups and venues.  Why wouldnt you as that is a main selling point of them. 

Next time you see a band not doing this, slap them.

Yeah I have never heard of such a thing either.  Even the regionals are starting to have scenes for popular boards either with them or in dropbox links on their tech page.  If they travel with a board certainly it has all the channels and routing setup.

I have one engineer who insists on setting EQ to flat and ringing out each monitor before every gig.  He usually misses catering and my mixes still sound better :-) On top of that he uses the phrase "watermelon bubblicious"  as he claims it contains a large range of vocal patterns and sibilance. 

So yeah, slap them with a wet stinky tuna.

Scenes, we don't need no stinkin' scenes.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 11:24:35 AM »

Really?

I always try to pre-setup bands I DON"T know.
Why work harder at the event?
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Joe Pieternella

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 11:36:25 AM »

Knowledge mostly, not everything is easily transferable between venues. And it takes some experience and/or logical thinking to determine what does and doesn't work.

A band that will play anywhere just to get their selves out there gets the joy of using some very poorly designed systems. When on 80% of your gigs you're mostly working against the PA there won't be much you can do that will work everywhere. It would be weird to see someone load a scene and only have his vocal hpf set. Even when you do get a chance to play on a good/great rig you'll be building your mix from scratch anyway cause you have nothing stored.

This would however be the perfect time to make your basic scene. Taking this scene back to one of those poorly designed systems in venues with poor acoustics might be hurting  you more than helping you.

And obviously building your mix from scratch will help you improve your skills/speed. It does cost you time though.

Mostly this doesn't really happen here so much (Holland).
All venues intended for music have their own PA systems and outdoor stuff will normally be handled by a sound provider. When a band carries its own everything it mostly gets set up in bars and such so you end up with the compromised set ups and acoustics again.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G8341 met Tapatalk

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 11:37:19 AM »

There's no reason at all to NOT have a scene, or number of scenes saved for 1) The venue starting point/initial setup, 2) A specific scene from previous work at the venue, 3) A scene from working with a band in the past.

No reason you can't take it upon yourself to create scenes for this band if you work with them on a regular basis. Start with the initial scene and after they tell you they need this, that, and every other thing you can load the saved scene(s), maybe tweek a little, and you're done. Easy peasey.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 12:03:24 PM »

Some of the bands I work with don't do the same show often enough to justify having a scene created...  It's hard enough to get the same people playing the same instruments more than once!

But, yeah, if it's their own rig, having things pre-set can speed things up a bit.

For my sound provider rigs, I've actually created standardized input lists and scenes to work with.  I use the X32, and have a 32 channel console, so everything is designed based on that.  Just because I only need 8 inputs for a particular band doesn't mean I re-order things.  I still keep drums on layer 1, and vocals are on layer 4.  Yeah, it's more layer swapping, but as I mix, my muscle memory knows exactly where I need to go to find what I'm mixing.

It doesn't help me all that much to have a band provide their input layout file, unless their engineer is the one that is running the board.
Brian Jojade

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 12:27:14 PM »

I had a band I worked with just about every weekend. We rotated between 3-4 venues. We never even did a sound check. Just set up, make sure everything was working, then hit the bar.  8)

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 05:29:12 PM »

I think the only thing you're missing is people smart enough to make use of the tools they have.  To me there are two great things about digital mixers.  Having the equivalent of more outboard than I could ever manage, and being able to have things set up before I get there.  Sometimes it's a repeat and I can just pull up a previous file.  More often I think back to previous shows, pull up something similar, set it up using the offline editor and load it into the board at the show.  Quick check on gains and I'm ready for the fine points though sound check or the first song.

kel mcguire

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 06:12:35 PM »

Someone please educate on this. Is there any reason why a band that uses the same mixer with the same basic musicians/gear doesn't have at least a basic mix stored as a scene, and start with that at the beginning?
I've worked with several bands over the past 2+ years, and all are using digital consoles, some mix from stage, some have a FOH person. It seems that every single one starts from scratch at every gig, and no one has anything stored.
What am I missing?

From "scratch" meaning they use different input channels, reset the faders, Eqs, effects? That's baffling. Do you mix bands full of mimes? That's a joke btw  ;D

Even an analog board can be put back in a case with eq, faders and mon mix levels 90% there next gig.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 06:12:35 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.