ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Decent Dual Wireless (Handheld) <= around $400  (Read 6610 times)

Ben Mehlman

Decent Dual Wireless (Handheld) <= around $400
« on: December 11, 2017, 03:48:36 PM »

This is for corporate use.. probably no musical performance (tho anything is possible)..

but they want something decent sounding..
and reliable..
and from a manufacturer able and willing to sell replacement transmitters or receivers..
and while they want cardioid handhelds now, they might want lavaliers later, using the same receiver..

and they don't want to spend a ton.. but don't want cheap Chinese garbage either.  Nothing against Chinese gear.. if it's decent quality.. just not the cheap stuff, and not if it's unsupported.

and the budget is around $400 or less for a receiver and two transmitters..
and I need it in NYC in 2 days!

Suggestions?

My first pick was the Shure BLX288/PG58 system.. but that's $520.  The Samson Concert 288 SWC288HQ6 is $300 and I'm not a huge fan of Samson but I'd go there before I'd touch something like Vocopro or Nady...

Thanks!

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Decent Dual Wireless (Handheld) <= around $400
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 04:02:38 PM »

This is for corporate use.. probably no musical performance (tho anything is possible)..

and reliable..
and from a manufacturer able and willing to sell replacement transmitters or receivers..
and while they want cardioid handhelds now, they might want lavaliers later, using the same receiver..

and they don't want to spend a ton.. but don't want cheap Chinese garbage either.  Nothing against Chinese gear.. if it's decent quality.. just not the cheap stuff, and not if it's unsupported.

Suggestions?

My first pick was the Shure BLX288/PG58 system.. but that's $520.  The Samson Concert 288 SWC288HQ6 is $300 and I'm not a huge fan of Samson but I'd go there before I'd touch something like Vocopro or Nady...

Thanks!

Fast, Cheap, Good: pick 2

2 days - go rent it.

$400 won't get what you want.

Senn XSW is about only thing I'd touch in that price range (or Shure PG series). Either way you're looking at $500 and not a dual unit.
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 04:06:24 PM »

and reliable..

Suggestions?

Thanks!

You might want to check with Mike Pyle to see if there's some wiggle room on the pricing of a BLX288/PG58 system. I'm guessing he can do better than the MSRP of $519.

We use the BLX288/PG58 for a number of corporate speaking engagements and it works really well for that. The only complaint is the push button on/off switch on the hand-held, but most people figure it out quickly. I don't think you'll find anything more reliable in that range.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Decent Dual Wireless (Handheld) &lt;= around $400
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 04:06:47 PM »

Fast, Cheap, Good: pick 2

2 days - go rent it.

$400 won't get what you want.

Senn XSW is about only thing I'd touch in that price range (or Shure PG series). Either way you're looking at $500 and not a dual unit.

And NYC... hard enough to get good units working there.

Rent.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 04:19:49 PM »

You might want to check with Mike Pyle to see if there's some wiggle room on the pricing of a BLX288/PG58 system. I'm guessing he can do better than the MSRP of $686. [Corrected: MAP Price is $549.00; "List" MSRP is $686.00.]

We use the BLX288/PG58 for a number of corporate speaking engagements and it works really well for that. The only complaint is the push button on/off switch on the hand-held, but most people figure it out quickly. I don't think you'll find anything more reliable in that range.
As another Shure Dealer, I can tell you that $400 is less than the Dealer Cost on a dual channel BLX system with PG58 caps.

As was said cheap, good, or fast- pick two. You're not going to find something 'decent' in that price range, especially something that will be viable for corporate use. The minimum I see on corpy shows is ULX-P, and that's only when the vendor is out of QLX-D combo packs. (And that's for breakout rooms. Main/general sessions will be ULX-D or UHF-R.)

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Jordan Wolf

Decent Dual Wireless (Handheld) <= around $400
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 04:31:11 PM »

Just pony up for a dual UHF-R or ULX-D kit from a local rental house. They can give you the frequency range(s) they know work(s) in the area, and you can be reasonably certain they are maintained.

The QLX-D units have a few less convenience features than the ULX-D, but I’ve found them to behave  similarly on the RF and AF side, maybe you can find a pair of them for cheaper.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 04:40:22 PM »

New York City is the place where they say
Hey baby, take a walk on the wired side....
Hey sugar, take a walk on the wired side.

There are only a couple more RF-hostile environments in the USA than midtown Manhattan and when I'm in those locations I rent.

Ben, it's like the other posters have said - you don't get "good" "cheap" "reliable" in the same sentence, especially in the saturated airwaves of places like NYC.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 06:32:39 PM »

If you travel, you rent from a local provider, no ifs ands or butts :)

Shure is the worst with dealer pricing running pretty much a fixed price format. I.E. very little to no wiggle room in dealer pricing costs.

You can't get ANY wireless product that is less than $500 that will meet any real requirements. If you find one let me know. Sennheiser is about the best you can get if you aren't getting top tier RF.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 07:11:56 PM »

and reliable..

My experience is that the expectations of quality in a corporate event environment are orders of magnitude higher than in anything but the highest level of musical performance.

Mac

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 07:40:45 PM »

I'll also echo the common response in this thread.  I know the definition of "corporate" can be somewhat fluid, but 2 channels for $400 just won't cut it.  Trust me, it took me three tries (and buys) to get to the mics I use today, and that's just the basic Sennheiser EW100 package with paddle antennas.  Even that level of product is below what most here would recommend for critical corporate work.  Your options are either rent, double your budget (at least) and apply that to a single channel, or take your chances with a lesser product.  I will say though that few things are worse than having a wireless mic cutout when you need it most.  Best of luck though!   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 07:40:45 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 19 queries.