ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EV EVF experiences (want your opinion)  (Read 2404 times)

Blake Cerenzia

EV EVF experiences (want your opinion)
« on: December 10, 2017, 04:22:12 PM »

Has anyone heard/used the EVF loudspeakers from Electro-Voice? Helping with a system for a high school auditorium with 400 seats. Wasn't impressed by the (JBL AE series/Community V Series) demo'd a few weeks ago, so considering my other options.

Considering two EVF-1122S/64s (mains), one EVU-1082/95 (single front fill), and subs which have yet to be determined...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 06:40:08 PM by Blake Cerenzia »

Mark Fairchild

Re: EV EVF experiences (want your opinion)
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 08:15:21 PM »

What was it about the JBL/Community speakers that didn't impress you? Keep in mind that things like coverage, intelligibility, and gain before feedback are the most important aspects to consider for an install such as this as opposed to just its tonality that you hear while playing a cd for a demo or whatnot. I've operated a system that had the EVF series installed in a distributed configuration at a high school gym, and it worked well for that application, but I wouldn't imagine they're leaps and bounds better than the comparable JBL/Community speakers assuming they're all setup and tuned appropriately. There's only so much a 2-way speaker in a typical arrangement can do after all. Also, how steep is the seat raking? And do you mean the 2 EVF-1122S/64s would be in a mono center cluster or in a stereo configuration?
Since meeting riders isn't applicable to this install, you might want to look into Danley Sound Labs speakers if you can stretch your budget some more. They make some of the most advanced point source boxes in my experience and the experience of many others here, and there's good reason they're used in so many large and small installations alike.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 09:41:39 PM by Mark Fairchild »

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 08:44:29 PM »

There are many things that go into choosing a particular product for a job.

To many people, actual sound quality is a bit down the list when choosing a loudspeaker.

There are many things to consider.

Here are a few examples:

How well does the proposed loudspeaker cover the space-at all freq of interest?   Or is the freq response different at different seats?

Does a particular loudspeaker get loud enough for job, and still sound good doing it.

Does a particular loudspeaker do a good job of keeping the energy off of the stage, walls, ceiling et (ie how low does the pattern control extend)

Does the budget support the choice, including amplifiers needed, DSP channels needed, cables install etc.

Does the loudspeaker fit visually?

Just because loudspeaker A sounds better than loudspeaker B, does NOT mean that it is a better choice for a particular job.

There are many factors to consider.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tom Burgess

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 01:02:58 PM »

I would also be interested to know what AE boxes you heard that failed to impress.  There's a bunch of different AE models available...  I've used the AM52Xx series in passive gym systems that worked beautifully and bi-amped AM72XX boxes in FOH rigs that sounded fantastic.  What models did you hear and how were they wired?
If the band sounds great, it's because the band IS great, if the band sound like crap, it's the soundman's fault.

Opinions expressed by me on this forum are my own and not necessarily those of the company for which I work.

Nick Pires

• Portland, ME
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 09:37:43 AM »

Has anyone heard/used the EVF loudspeakers from Electro-Voice? Spec'ing a system for a high school auditorium with 400 seats. Wasn't impressed by the (JBL AE series/Community V Series) demo'd a few weeks ago, so considering my other options.

Considering two EVF-1122S/64s (mains), one EVU-1082/95 (single front fill), and subs which have yet to be determined...

I have yet to listen to the EVF, but I have some experience installing EVH. I suspect the voicing, output, and build quality are similar between both lines. I'm not sure the EVF is going to have the same degree of pattern control and consistency over the coverage area as the EVH (EVH is horn-loaded & co-ax, while EVF is front-loaded). With either series, is it worth it to get EV/Dynacord amps/processing. Also, EV's published specs tend to be fairly conservative. The EVH had a lot more output than I would have expected.
EVH, along with Danley, and Fulcrum are typically on a short list of options when we do school installs.
I'm not who I would be, if I wasn't who I am.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 09:37:43 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 19 queries.