ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Keyboard repairable?  (Read 1936 times)

Taylor Phillips

Keyboard repairable?
« on: December 10, 2017, 02:03:47 PM »

Our Yamaha P-105 digital piano at the church decided it wanted to take communion today - well, actually a different usher than usual placed the cup on the keyboard and the juice spilled into the keys as I was playing.  Caused a bunch of wrong notes to play, but no noise when I took my hands off the keys.  I promptly unplugged it.  Does it sound like this can be fixed or is it toast?

Jeff Bankston

Re: Keyboard repairable?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 04:25:04 PM »

I took my DX7 apart and took all the keys out and cleaned all the dust and dirt out and put it back together. The P-105 was  put together from pieces so maybe you can take it apart and clean it.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 06:01:08 PM »

Our Yamaha P-105 digital piano at the church decided it wanted to take communion today - well, actually a different usher than usual placed the cup on the keyboard and the juice spilled into the keys as I was playing.  Caused a bunch of wrong notes to play, but no noise when I took my hands off the keys.  I promptly unplugged it.  Does it sound like this can be fixed or is it toast?

Deoxit may save you.  Don't wait too long.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 09:11:17 AM »

I don't understand why, but the keyboard seems to be an irresistible place for other people to set things.  Grrr.

The chances of saving the keyboard as Erik mentioned decline quickly with time.  Wine/grape juice is acidic and the sugar doesn't help either.  If you can completely disassemble the keyboard and get all the gunk out using alcohol or some other mild solvent and let it thoroughly dry out you might be OK.  Do it today if you want any reasonable chance of success.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 09:41:56 AM »

Get it as apart as possible (take photos to help put it back together correctly!).

Circuit boards can be rinsed first with distilled water, then with alcohol (ideally 99% pure ispropyl, which might be available at the drug store).  Don't use a heat gun to dry it off; the alcohol should displace almost all the water. A fan blowing air across the parts for a couple days should do it.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 01:41:20 PM »

Get it as apart as possible (take photos to help put it back together correctly!).

Circuit boards can be rinsed first with distilled water, then with alcohol (ideally 99% pure ispropyl, which might be available at the drug store).  Don't use a heat gun to dry it off; the alcohol should displace almost all the water. A fan blowing air across the parts for a couple days should do it.
I would skip the water and go straight to the alcohol.  Most circuit boards these days are made with what is called "no-clean" flux.  Meaning that the acids in the flux sublimate under soldering heat and become inactive so it doesn't get cleaned off.  Sort of like the old rosin flux.  When hydrocarbon solvents were banned by the Montreal protocol, industrial use of mildly activated rosin fluxes (RMA) died and water cleanable organic acid fluxes predominated.  As no-clean chemistry progressed getting rid of the cleaning step and all the attendant Eco issues became more common.  The problem is that with most no-clean fluxes putting them in water creates a white sticky mess all over the place.
What you are worried about is the sugars in the drink creating conductive pathways.  So rinsing it off becomes paramount.  They can also mobilize acids in the original flux leading to conductive paths and problems down the road.
Rinse with alcohol (IPA, isopropyl not the beer), wet it down again and blot the solvent up with something like a clean non-shedding tissue (Kymwipes are the industrial standard) which will lift contaminants off the boards.  Unless you can actually run enough IPA across the board to flush contaminates away, wetting things down and scrubbing with brushes only loosens them and moves them around.  Blotting is the best way to remove them.

Taylor Phillips

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 06:18:04 PM »

Well, I looked at the number of screws on the bottom of the keyboard and decided it was a job best left to the professionals.  Pastor assures me the church will cover the repair costs, so we took to a shop today.  The shop says they are a factory authorized warranty repair center for Yamaha and that replacement parts for our keyboard shouldn't be too hard to come by if needed.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 06:18:04 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.