ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The X32 and M32 do sound different, but........  (Read 19536 times)

John Chiara

Re: The X32 and M32 do sound different, but........
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2017, 01:47:18 AM »

John,
I gave Behringer credit where credit is due. I may go back much further than most people in my relationship with their products, and none of my experiences have been gratifying, satisfying, or for that matter very pleasant at all. At one time, when people would ask if a particular device would help their overall sound, I would recommend buying used "B" hardware off of Ebay, telling those people to try it and if it's a solution then toss the hardware and buy the real deal.

As a part of my recording system I use an Xtouch. It provides motorized faders for my use with Cubase. I bought it because it was cheap. It works most of the time, but I don't use the recording system that often, so I can't vouch for dependability. Will I buy anything else Behringer? No, or will I recommend anything Behringer based on my experiences, principles, and historical past. They hit a home run with the X-32 ex emoseries and it's offspring, I'll give them that, but that's as far as I go.

I guess I'm an exception. I have a number of German made pieces..a bunch of Chinese...and I've used the DCX and DEQ2496 units since they came out.. never a problem.

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2017, 09:19:11 AM »

I guess I'm an exception. I have a number of German made pieces..a bunch of Chinese...and I've used the DCX and DEQ2496 units since they came out.. never a problem.

John, your experience is indeed the rare exception.  Congratulations.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2017, 11:03:50 AM »

We had a bunch of the active DI (that looked a little like BSS).  I'm not sure any of them are still working.

The original German-made compressors?  They had no working issues but the allegations of IP theft (and the price tag at the time) meant that dbx was still the preferred option.  The cheap made in China compressors were more of a problem and I never opened one up to see if the PC boards were the same, but wrote off Behringer as a brand choice.

FWD to today and we have no need for 90% of their outboard gear and now Behringer buys the companies who own the IP they want to acquire.  Not exactly a paradigm shift but close...

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2017, 11:43:23 AM »

Bob,
I know your feeling about Behringer...it's almost a moral/political standard for you.
This is a tell for how long you have been in the industry. For many of us, forget the "almost".
We all need to choose how we live that out in the real world. My world ...in many, many different places...is X32 world...and I have to say for the better since the days of beat up analog boards with minimal or shitty outboard gear. It has become a standard that all kinds of touring bands are familiar with and can interface with, which makes everything easier. If someone else had done it first, it might have been and A+H or Soundcraft...but alas...it wasn't. Local colleges around here chose to go with other digital consoles for their classes...and we get interns who are less than agile in the clubs..which are 90% X32.
It is kind of like curren politicians can...we might not agree with stuff, but the ability to get things done is admirable as a process.
Politics has nothing to do with this, it's just bidness.... At this point in their corporate evolution there are no longer lots of low hanging fruit, category killers from small companies to "be inspired by", so they have been pretty much operating like a normal (albeit very large) industry player for years now.
======
On topic the X32 and M32 should sound almost identical. One well reported difference is a soft limiter in the Midas mic preamp front end that the X32 lacks... This could easily make an audible difference when pushed hard.

JR 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Loren Miller

« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2017, 03:34:28 PM »

The amount of publicity and interest that is generated by the m/X32 comparison is pure genius. I don’t know if it was intentional or they walked into it accidentally, but wow I hope someone got a promotion. It also seems to play into the “enemy/feud” rhetoric that is sadly en vogue right now.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2017, 03:45:54 PM »

The amount of publicity and interest that is generated by the m/X32 comparison is pure genius. I don’t know if it was intentional or they walked into it accidentally, but wow I hope someone got a promotion. It also seems to play into the “enemy/feud” rhetoric that is sadly en vogue right now.

As mentioned up-thread, some of us took (and a few still take) umbrage at the apparent theft of the intellectual property of Mackie and dbx, even though in subsequent legal proceedings the courts held that there was no culpability on the part of Behringer.  It was just too damn obvious that PC boards had been copied (right down to the OEM label) but for whatever legal reasons, Behringer was able to continue selling these products.

Some of us have a very long memory and particularly for those who make their living creating hardware IP, that memory is unforgiving.  For 10 years or more I would not let my boss purchase *anything* Behringer.

FFWD to the current economic/business expectations and the company now owns 2 X32 and 1 M32 and some accessories.

I fully understand the issues that Bob and JR and some other users have with the historic practices of what is now MusicTribe (or whatever the bullshit name is this quarter).  The fiscal realities of competition at the local/regional level dictates that we have to minimize our cost basis or we'll be losing business.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Adam Kane

• Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2017, 05:01:54 PM »

John, your experience is indeed the rare exception.  Congratulations.

Indeed. Every Ultra-Drive (DCX2496) we installed went belly up and made the frying egg sound. Great units when they worked though. We had a few other pieces of gear that failed enough to give us a bad taste in our mouths, and we never used them for installations again.

Last year, I figured I'd try to use a Beheringer line mixer for a budget installation in a school. Feature-wise, it fit the bill. The price was right and I figured not much could go wrong with a little 1U rackmount line mixer. Put it in, and 2 months later the power supply crapped itself. Ate the $$ and put an Ashly in there knowing it would likely not need to be touched ever again.

We do use a few of their powered mixers for rental SOS systems and they have held up surprisingly well.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2017, 09:55:29 PM »

... The fiscal realities of competition at the local/regional level dictates that we have to minimize our cost basis or we'll be losing business.

Truer word were never spoken or written.  Every year our business grows.  As an owner, I have to make every penny count and make sure that we are as profitable on every job as we can be.  We have artist that come through that want either an X32/M32 and other that want a Pro1/2 or a SC48.  Any more it is more X32/M32 with newer national acts simply because that is what their Engineer is use to and has spent the most time on.

As far as the past history with Behringer I, like Bob, had horrible experiences and when I could afford to do it I move to dbx 160a compressors.  However having spent significant festival time on the X32/M32 I think that they are as good as anything in the sub $6,500 price range.

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2017, 06:14:44 PM »

I for one welcome our new insect overlords.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2017, 09:06:00 PM »

I for one welcome our new insect overlords.
It will be robots not insects...

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2017, 09:06:00 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 22 queries.