ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Router, the wood kind  (Read 11942 times)

Stephen Kirby

Re: Router, the wood kind
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 05:18:27 PM »

It has to be pine for Fender cabinets, and just like Leo, they have to be finger joints. Many people don't know this, but the baffle boards are all HD particle board.
I find that with pine cabinets I like baffle boards out of thinner 1/2" baltic rather than the heavier stuff.  Seems to work with the resonant nature of the pine cab.  I have a 1-12 I built that's 22" wide (same as a Deluxe Reverb) that the oval ported back is 3/8" baltic birch (marine mahogany also works really well for backs, a bit lower in natural frequency).  Best sounding cab I have.  Floating baffle, meaning the baffle has the grille cloth wrapped around it and then screwed from the inside to top and bottom lips on the front.  Just like an old Fender.  I believe that the un-cleated joinery and light construction leads to resonances that are very consonant with the sound of a guitar.  Not hi-fi at all, and I'd never build a PA cabinet like this, but Bob is building guitar cabs.  Which are supposed to have color.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2017, 03:08:50 AM »

Typical joinery there is a dado or rabbet(rebate in the UK) joint in the plywood

Yes,  I first heard the word 'rabbet' on New Yankee Workshop.  On this programme, I also heard kitchen cabinets being described as 'hutches'.  In the UK a hutch is a home for a rabbit (not a rabbet).  It was a little confusing for a while!

Steve.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2017, 09:08:39 PM »

No hutches in the kitchen Steve. Hutches are found in the dining room and that's where the for show only dishes are stored.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2017, 09:11:41 PM »

Yes,  I first heard the word 'rabbet' on New Yankee Workshop.  On this programme, I also heard kitchen cabinets being described as 'hutches'.  In the UK a hutch is a home for a rabbit (not a rabbet).  It was a little confusing for a while!

Steve.

You keep the hutch in the kitchen in case you have an immediate desire for fresh hasenpfeffer...

"We have to be vewy wewy quiet, wewe hunting wabbit!"  - E. Fudd

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2017, 11:16:36 AM »

Maybe you know this, but I'll post it for anyone else who's a novice router user like me:

Beware of the "climb cut."

Basically, when routing an edge, it is safer to move the router so the bit "digs out" the edge, forcing the router against the edge of the workpiece.

When you move the router the other direction, there is a tendency for it to "climb" away from the workpiece, rendering a rough edge and potentially resulting in kickback or loss of control.

HOWEVER, the standard direction can lift the grain and tear the wood, leaving gouges. Some woodworkers will make a first, shallow pass in the standard direction, then make the final direction with a climb cut (holding the router very carefully) for a smoother finish.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2017, 03:12:24 AM »

No hutches in the kitchen Steve. Hutches are found in the dining room and that's where the for show only dishes are stored.

Thanks for the clarification.

I don't have any 'for show only' dishes.  Seems a bit silly to me!

Steve.

John Fruits

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2017, 03:28:50 AM »

Also, don't forget the hutch in your office.  Many variants of this.  Desk with hutch. Credenza with hutch. 
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

Mark Wilkinson

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2017, 01:54:21 PM »

Anybody found a good router they think also excels at dust collection?
For when you can't use the router on a table with a vacuum fitting... like when cutting baffles, plunging into stuff, etc ...

My eyes and nose are getting ever more sensitive....I guess over the years, you can only snort so much sawdust ...;)

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2017, 05:12:49 PM »

Anybody found a good router they think also excels at dust collection?
For when you can't use the router on a table with a vacuum fitting... like when cutting baffles, plunging into stuff, etc ...

My eyes and nose are getting ever more sensitive....I guess over the years, you can only snort so much sawdust ...;)
For freehand work, I just use goggles and a dust mask.  I took the plastic shields out of my routers as it's too hard to see how it's cutting.  The older I get the more patience I have for making templates and using those.

In metal work machining the feed direction is known as up milling and down milling.  At higher feeds up milling tears more and has more chatter, particularly with heavy cuts.  Down milling is smoother but you almost always get a small amount of chatter and a sort of wavy edge.  Final cuts using up milling are usually smoother.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2017, 09:23:17 PM »

I'll let you know how the Porter Cable works with dust after xmas. I bought the kit with the plunge base and dust collection through the handle. Like having a "D" handle that sucks.

And I think Santa's also bringing a Kreg table. Guess I'm sorta spoiled.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2017, 09:23:17 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.