ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Just for fun: AC vs DC high-current switching  (Read 9125 times)

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
Re: Just for fun: AC vs DC high-current switching
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 10:01:13 AM »

A motor contactor at Mt Wilson

Not to Code

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 05:36:38 PM »

I toured Mt Wilson observatory in CA  They are still powered with 120 v DC  When a light switch needs replacing they need to find a old one that is rated for DC.  The new ones wont work two times.

Typical AC-only light switches now have a cam that separates the contacts. By this design, the switch opens and closes slowly.

AC/DC rated switches have a spring loaded snap action. When you move the switch handle, you push (or pull) on a spring which holds the contacts in position until you cross a point of unstable equilibrium. When you cross the point of equilibrium, the spring causes the switch to quickly snap to the other position, eliminating the slow opening and closing of the cam design. That's why DC-rated switches have a distinctive snap sound.

The cam design is much simpler and cheaper to produce.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 05:51:59 PM »

It looks like 3 of the 4 coil springs were hand-wound. (Or were machine wound by a human operator.)
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 12:31:21 AM »

Curious that it has hex nuts instead of square nuts. I'm used to seeing square heads on old electrical equipment.

A little research shows that mass production of hex nuts & bolts was introduced in the mid 1800s, but didn't gain ubiquity until the 1940s, when the advantages of hex nuts became important for arms production for World War II. At least that's what I've been able to gather.

Frank DeWitt

• LBP DI Box
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 09:13:03 AM »

Curious that it has hex nuts instead of square nuts. I'm used to seeing square heads on old electrical equipment.

A little research shows that mass production of hex nuts & bolts was introduced in the mid 1800s, but didn't gain ubiquity until the 1940s, when the advantages of hex nuts became important for arms production for World War II. At least that's what I've been able to gather.

These panels have been in steady use for over 100 years, so it is possible that the nuts were replaced at some time. BTW the reason for DC is that there was no power lines up there when the telescopes were built and they didn't want the vibration or the exhaust at night, so a big DC generator was installed along with batteries.  The batteries were charged during the day and the power used at night.   The generator is still there and has been restored by volunteers.     
Not to Code

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 04:28:38 PM »

It's a work of art. I love looking at vintage electrical gear. I have a drafting board what was probably made in the early 1900's and the castings are simply beautiful. Shame that we can't spend that much time and care on modern gear, but it's just not cost effective. But there are still boutique shops for those willing to pay for detail work.

Jonathan Johnson

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 07:42:54 PM »

It's a work of art. I love looking at vintage electrical gear. I have a drafting board what was probably made in the early 1900's and the castings are simply beautiful. Shame that we can't spend that much time and care on modern gear, but it's just not cost effective. But there are still boutique shops for those willing to pay for detail work.

There's a local panel shop (Prairie Electric in Vancouver, Washington) that does excellent work. Granted, the parts themselves aren't things of beauty, being run-of-the-mill, off-the-shelf parts, but the workmanship in the finished panel is top notch.

A nearby industrial facility had two large control panels built by Prairie Electric when the facility was built. A few years later they expanded, and had the new panels built by another panel shop. The panels are mostly "identical" in design.

If you were to first look at the panels built by the second shop, you would probably say they were done neatly with decent workmanship. But when you open the cabinets for the panels built by Prairie Electric, the difference is noticeable: Prairie's panels are works of art in comparison.

There still is pride of workmanship out there.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2017, 10:45:58 PM »

Unfortunately (apparently), the pride in workmanship was not rewarded with the subsequent contract.  Likely, that change was made becasue it was slightly cheaper to do "decent" work vs "top notch".  I think it is the realities of business that is killing the pride in workmanship.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 02:25:02 PM by Stephen Swaffer »
Steve Swaffer

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2017, 12:10:45 AM »

Unfortunately (apparently), the pride in workmanship was not rewarded with the susequent contract.  Likely, that change was made becasue it was slightly cheaper to do "decent" work vs "top notch".  I think it is the realities of business that is killing the pride in workmanship.

"Doing a good job is like wetting your pants in a dark suit - you get a nice warm feeling but nobody notices.". Found on a small poster at my old factory job.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2017, 12:10:33 PM »

There's a local panel shop (Prairie Electric in Vancouver, Washington) that does excellent work.

Just flipping through their Instagram account, I'd have no problem hiring them based on workmanship alone.  You're not kidding - their crew clearly takes pride in their work, even down to their van organization.

(For those that are curious: Prairie Electric)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2017, 12:10:33 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.