ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Dj use of my system NYE  (Read 49381 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Dj use of my system NYE
« Reply #40 on: December 07, 2017, 01:58:08 PM »

Whatever you are using for your band's FOH subs double them (and amps) for the DJ.  1. Use a DI box that has an attenuator example:dPDB dual passive direct box.
2. You will need a limiter (or two) in series on the DJ's channel.....

On a NYE DJ'd sound gig three years ago the DJ kept clipping
(in the red) his mixer despite my advise.
I was using a Mixwiz and by the end of the night I had his channel's PAD engaged, TRIM all the way off(!) and his signal was still in the yellow on my board.
I finally clamped him at the limiter on the DBX2231.

Give me a band to mix any day.

Well I hope I have enough. The room is just under 4000q ft and I will be taking 2 x SRX818sp and 1 x SRX828sp for subs. I could add my 2 x PRX718xlf's too which do play well with the SRX from  experience but I was hoping to get a way with just the SRX's. It is a hotel ballroom so I don't expect them to want deafening nightclub volume.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Magnus Högkvist

« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2017, 02:26:16 PM »

I haven't tried on the original DJM900 but on the DJM900 NXS2 you can set the master, booth and record outs to be mono or stereo separately in the utility menu.

This seams to be correct. The "S2" (latest 900) version doesn't have the physical mono/stereo switch.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2017, 02:55:57 PM »

Well I hope I have enough. The room is just under 4000q ft and I will be taking 2 x SRX818sp and 1 x SRX828sp for subs. I could add my 2 x PRX718xlf's too which do play well with the SRX from  experience but I was hoping to get a way with just the SRX's. It is a hotel ballroom so I don't expect them to want deafening nightclub volume.

The crux of the biscuit... hotel ballroom.  The hotel will likely have a limit of some kind (complaints, maybe a SPL policy).

If the DJ has done hotel gigs before you'll probably have fairly easy night once you're up and running.  :)

The advice about separate Booth Monitor and PGM lines is spot on.  As the DJ gets more exposure he'll start needing more in his monitors; your ability to nudge those back down if he's pushing your gear is a Very Good Thing.  Trust me.

If the DJ has pro-grade gear with XLR outputs the signals are going to be astonishingly HOT by the standards we're used to.

{snip}
2. You will need a limiter (or two) in series on the DJ's channel.....

On a NYE DJ'd sound gig three years ago the DJ kept clipping
(in the red) his mixer despite my advise.
I was using a Mixwiz and by the end of the night I had his channel's PAD engaged, TRIM all the way off(!) and his signal was still in the yellow on my board.
I finally clamped him at the limiter on the DBX2231.

Give me a band to mix any day.

Okay, that's the bad news - isolating that level with a common passive DI is not going to work.  The ART iso box previously mentioned is about the cheapest product that will take these levels.  Will your DJ drive that hard?

Slightly better news - any unbalanced output is going to be -6dB below the balanced output.  Using TS plugs in the Booth Mon outputs instead of TRS on each end... Or the RCA outputs which may be even lower in level.

The PRX subs won't substantially add to your output.  If they do not fit you could omit but there might be some benefit to looking bigger.  The client should have a room setup diagram to give you an idea of how much space is allocated to the entertainment.

As for inputs... here's what I'd do.  SAVE your band's show file/snapshot/scene and start clean for the DJ.  If you can "pair" 2 channels, do that for both the PGM and Booth inputs.  If not it's a bit more work to match EQ or comp/limiters but it's not a big deal.  This will let you make a mono mix of Booth L/R by sending one Aux for his wedge.  Turn off the Booth channel assignment to the main L/R bus.  Do whatever you need to and save it.  Recall band, verify everything is working and do the show.  Save band show/snapshot/scene if you normally do so, then recall the DJ show and away he goes (if you've had a sound check).

Being NYE, I'd expect the DJ will be there and set up in time for you to connect and check, but I'd build that DJ scene/snappy/show file ahead of time and have it in the mixer.  You're ahead when you have a plan...

Other hint - if the QU inputs have pads, start out with them engaged.  If you need pads later there isn't a really good way to engage them without getting the "WTF" look from the DJ or crowd.

Another Other hint - Most DJs have their own wireless mic (or a couple of them) which they will manage through their mixer but I like to have a hard-wired mic on a 50 ft cable stashed under/around the DJ table for the "just in case".

Congratulations, you're now a sound company!
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2017, 03:06:53 PM »

Other hint - if the QU inputs have pads, start out with them engaged.  If you need pads later there isn't a really good way to engage them without getting the "WTF" look from the DJ or crowd.

+1
Good advise... 

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2017, 04:02:52 PM »

Yes - VERY good advice all round Tim thanks.

Every show I do I have a basic scene saved in my console whether it is a band or anything else. I spend a good amount of time at home a couple of weeks before (hence my questions today) going through all the routing, dynamics, eq etc so I was going to do this for the DJ anyway. I already have the band scene set as always for them so should be a nice easy changeover there.

Use TS cables instead of TRS to get slightly lower level unless RCA - check.

I can make a mono send to the wedge by assigning the booth aux outs to the ALT outs on the QU and set them to L & R instead of LR. Then I only need to run one cable to the wedge from either output. That is how I usually get mono output on the QU - unless you see a disadvantage there. I could also run 2 cables by sending one to each channel of the one powered wedge - same result.

I won't bother with the PRX's - really not worried about setting them up just for looks.

The QU only has pads when using the D snake and I wasn't going to muddy the waters with that - the band will be using it and I don't want to have to think about any re assignments I would have to make to incorporate it. Also, it will be by the drums and I need to be ready to go as soon as the band leaves the stage.  I was  simply going to drop an analog snake next to the DJ. I'll just have to wind down those gains really well to start and hope he arrives nice and early like me!!!

EDIT - sorry forgot - set up a mic on a stand too.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:09:49 PM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2017, 04:54:46 PM »

Though isolation has been covered, the Radial Iso Twin has saved me from serious problems several times.  Twice I had a DJ's send me signal that lifting grounds on "standard DI's" didn't work with their unbalanced outputs, and just lifting grounds on the XLR sends still left huge noise problems.  The Iso Twin solved the problems and handles a ton of signal level.

Tamar Ghobria

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2017, 07:59:47 PM »

What you need to keep an eye on is their levels while they use effects...Mostly controllers have built in effects which can change the sound drastically...

Jeremy Young

• Brown Bear Sound
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2017, 08:49:20 PM »

Everything that's been said has brought up some nasty memories of my club days working with various DJ's.  *shudder*  This has still been a good refresher with some great tips.

As Tamar just mentioned, sweeping filters (flangers etc) used for effect can give you some surprises, I always had a channel limiter engaged and ready for sudden peaks.  Really depends on the DJ's style. 

As for all your effort and worry, in my experience, you won't hear from him (or her) until the day before the event, or sometimes hours before the event.

I almost always found XLR outputs for L/R (still pays to be prepared), but always ran the booth through the mixer. Ray's DJ Patch Snake sounds like a killer plan if you find yourself doing this again.

I too have suffered from the "gain-at-zero-pad-engaged-channel-still-clipping-mixwiz" scenario.  I spoke to the DJ a number of times throughout the event about his levels, by the third time he clipped my channel I started turning down his wedge.  Got his attention real quick.  +1 on starting with the pads engaged, even more so if the mixer is tablet based since you won't be able to make a fast adjustment to the channel gain/trim and pad simultaneously, quickly and accurately enough to pull it off.  Believe me, I've tried. 

I once accidentally put my finger on the pad switch of a DJ channel (that was already engaged) and then had to spend the next 30 or so minutes standing there with my finger on it, since I knew the moment I let go the levels would shoot up.  Not a single break in the music...  One of those moments you see in the movies with land mines.  You hear the click and you know what happens if you move your foot....so you don't.

Here's hoping he's(she's) a professional.  Many are, and those are always refreshing. 
Brown Bear Sound
Victoria BC Canada
Live Events - Life Events - Corporate Events

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2017, 09:09:43 PM »

Debbie.. seriously.. these guys have filled your head with horror stories that simply don't apply here...

They are not horror stories; only experience. Make sure you "Believe" (tm) in your sub's abilities to protect themselves, or be sure you high pass them not lower than 40hz.  If they want lower than 40hz, they must pay for that last octave.

(tm)
Serial Number85519307
Registration Number4578246
Word Mark BELIEVE
Status700 - Registered
Status Date2014-08-05

...Dennis

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2017, 10:14:28 PM »

They are not horror stories; only experience. Make sure you "Believe" (tm) in your sub's abilities to protect themselves, or be sure you high pass them not lower than 40hz.  If they want lower than 40hz, they must pay for that last octave.

(tm)
Serial Number85519307
Registration Number4578246
Word Mark BELIEVE
Status700 - Registered
Status Date2014-08-05

...Dennis

I think Cher beat you to the Believe thing.....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2017, 10:14:28 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.