ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Dj use of my system NYE  (Read 49367 times)

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
Re: Dj use of my system NYE
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 06:35:03 AM »

That will work, I support lots of touring DJs, Have a monitor setup for them also, and they will need a couple of AC outlets too, and a mic on a stand probably.
Depending on how megalomaniac they are, and they usually are, I've sometimes used a compressor with a very long release to keep a hold over level.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 08:38:25 AM »

Again - thanks everyone for all your suggestions.
All I was asked for were my main PA speakers - nothing else, so although I will obviously have mics, stands and a wedge monitor available, I don't believe they will be required.
I can assign the DJ up to 3 stereo ins and a couple of mono channels if necessary.
If in fact he does require a wedge, what about just sending it out through one of the mono auxes just like I would foldback for band use??
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

scottstephens

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 08:48:01 AM »

Debbie,

Set LIMITERS on your system. 

Scott

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 09:00:50 AM »

... what about just sending it out through one of the mono auxes just like I would foldback for band use??

Don't do that. The DJ has his own volume-knob for the booth (=DJ speak for monitor), and wants to adjust the volume constantly how he/she sees fit. Just plug the wedge in the booth out of the DJ mixer.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 09:28:16 AM »

Good for you for charging a fee.  ;)

Keep an eye on the DJ's mixer. Tell the DJ to keep it out of the red. They aren't happy unless it's maxed out. You will soon get into the all too common DJ/Sound person battle....The more you turn your gains down the more they will turn up their mixer. Next thing you know they are all the way up and sounds like crap.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 09:29:03 AM »

Like some others, I also prefer to have an ISO transformer inline, as well as a 20dB pad per channel.

Don’t forget the earplugs!
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 11:07:11 AM »

Don't do that. The DJ has his own volume-knob for the booth (=DJ speak for monitor), and wants to adjust the volume constantly how he/she sees fit. Just plug the wedge in the booth out of the DJ mixer.

+1. This kind of DJ doesn't use a monitor the way a band does, they are using it for beat syncing so the main priority is to keep latency to a minimum. If you pay attention you will see the DJ put a headphone over one ear and then turn up the monitor which is pointed at the other ear, the track being cued is in the phones and the track currently playing is in the monitor, and once they get the sync they want the monitor is turned down again.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 11:23:16 AM »

Nice and easy but then how do I control how much volume he puts through the wedge? Presumably he will be less inclined to blow his own eardrums??
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 11:32:51 AM »

Just went through my boxes of miscellaneous cables and stuff.
I found 2 30ft  NICE TRS cables if he is 1/4" out, I found 2 x 6ft heavy duty RCA cables. I also have my Rolls stereo DI which accepts RCA or 1/4", and I have a box that although it was bought as a 'hum eliminator' it works well as a patch box converting male/female XLR to 1/4" and vice versa. I'll just take everything with me.
BTW... the RCA cables are the type that have 3 cables together - usually L & R audio and one video. There isn't any difference between those and the single RCA cables is there? I have the standard RCA cables but they are not as heavy duty as these.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 11:52:13 AM »

Nice and easy but then how do I control how much volume he puts through the wedge? Presumably he will be less inclined to blow his own eardrums??
That's why I suggest bringing the Booth Monitor outputs into your board, and back to the wedges. So, you'll have 4 channels (DJ Master L-R, DJ Booth L-R) on your board. Only the DJ Master L-R will be up and in your system; the faders on the DJ Booth L-R will remain down. You just send *those* to the aux send to the DJ Booth Monitor wedge. This way, the DJ still has control over their DJ Booth Monitor send, and can turn it up/down/off as needed, but you maintain supervision and control over that feed. This will allow you to protect your gear!

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 11:52:13 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.