ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Dj use of my system NYE  (Read 50136 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Dj use of my system NYE
« on: December 06, 2017, 11:41:03 PM »

The band is playing a downtown show NYE and I have agreed for a fee to allow the DJ to play out the night through my system.
As the band comes off stage, the DJ will take over. I was going to patch the DJ mixer into a stereo channel of my mixer so it will be a seamless changeover. That way I can continue to have master control.
I contacted the DJ - left a message to ask what outputs he has on his mixer but he hasn't returned my call. I got his number from the promoter so he knows I tried to reach out.
So I'm just going to turn up with what I have and if he needs something different then that is down to him.
Most DJ mixers I have come across use either XLR or RCA outs. So I'll be using 2 x XLR > TR, or 2 x RCA > TR cords as my stereo ins are TR L & R line ins.  Any other combinations it could be?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Len Zenith Jr

Re: Dj use of my system NYE
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 11:47:48 PM »

That will cover it, either XLR or RCA outs. If you use aux fed subs don't forget to put them in the mix. Having "executive control" in your mixer is the smart way to handle DJ's. He may want a monitor if he is a mix DJ so if you have a powered wedge that will work. Monitor outs on DJ mixers are either 1/4" TRS on the pro mixers or RCA on some all-in-one units.

Edit - It isn't a bad idea to have a 1:1 isolation transformer in between his equipment and yours. That prevents phantom power from blowing up his equipment and will eliminate most buzzes that might be present with his setup.

I use an ART isolation transformer. It also converts all the possible outputs and inputs so it is a nice problem solver when they show up with something weird.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 11:54:50 PM by Len Zenith Jr »

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 12:01:35 AM »

I always connect a DJ desk with DIs. Gives me my isolation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 12:16:10 AM »

Cool - thanks peeps... I have a stereo/dual mono DI that accepts either 1/4" or RCA so that will do the trick !
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dan Currie

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 12:32:48 AM »

I'd be prepared for xlr or trs outputs.  XLR for the mains, trs for the booth.  A quad box or two for ac should give them enough Edison outlets.  Also, transformers can saturate causing audible distortion before the DJ clips their mixer.  I don't use a DI or transformer isolated splits on DJ's anymore. 

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:57:54 AM »

A DI is safe but it's unnecessary if you're not connecting to mic inputs. I connect the DJ mixer/console from an unbalanced output.. either 1/4 unbalanced or RCA to a stereo input on my mixer, and if you want  to avoid the extra gain of the DJs master output section which is enough to overdrive any mixer input, connect to the record output. If the DJ requests a monitor he/she will want it connected directly to his console, this will be used for beat syncing the next track so they need direct control of it, but in my experience just about any powered speaker will do the trick.. a DJ I work with regularly uses a Behringer B208D while others have gladly used a provided EV ZXL12p or QSC K12.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 01:37:57 AM »

If the DJ requests a monitor he/she will want it connected directly to his console, this will be used for beat syncing the next track so they need direct control of it, but in my experience just about any powered speaker will do the trick..
HOWEVER... one thing I like to do is take the DJ Booth Monitor outputs, land them on a pair of channels on the FOH console, and then patch back to the booth monitors. This does two things: a) Allows you to monitor and maintain control of the DJ Booth Monitor levels, and b) Gives you the ability to patch MC mics into the DJ Booth Monitors, that you couldn't otherwise do if the DJ Booth Monitor Outputs from their mixer are going straight into their Booth Monitor speakers.

-Ray
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Len Zenith Jr

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 01:52:54 AM »

b) Gives you the ability to patch MC mics into the DJ Booth Monitors, that you couldn't otherwise do if the DJ Booth Monitor Outputs from their mixer are going straight into their Booth Monitor speakers.

That's a good point. On the DJM nexus 900, even if the DJ patches a mic into his own mixer to make announcements, the mic output only goes to FOH and not the monitor outs by default. You have to reboot the mixer and get into the config settings to change that. Neither me nor the DJ I was working with knew how to do that without the manual. That may or may not be a problem. In my case the DJ wanted to rap over top of his beats so he really needed the mic in his monitors.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 05:23:47 AM »

I'd be prepared for xlr or trs outputs.  XLR for the mains, trs for the booth.  A quad box or two for ac should give them enough Edison outlets.  Also, transformers can saturate causing audible distortion before the DJ clips their mixer.  I don't use a DI or transformer isolated splits on DJ's anymore.

I use transformer-based DI boxes all the time, so decided to measure one to see what happens when you try to saturate one. It was 10v RMS at 20Hz input before distortion levels started to rise, and that was to around 1%. At lower levels, they're clean, linear, and there's nothing to break. The ones I use aren't particularly expensive, but do the job well. There's also a -20dB pad, so then you'd be able to put a whole lot more in there.

Since we've no idea what the DJ will be bringing, having the option to flick a switch and get a ground lift is very useful IMO. If it was mine, I'd assign 5x channels to the DJ to do it "properly". Mic, 2x main feed, 2x monitor feed. You could get it down to 3 by putting the mic through the DJ desk and going mono for the monitors.

Set your input gain conservatively, unless you've had a conversation with the DJ at sound-check, and you know that's the most signal they're going to send.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mike Christy

• Southern Maine
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 06:07:59 AM »

Cool - thanks peeps... I have a stereo/dual mono DI that accepts either 1/4" or RCA so that will do the trick !

That will work, I support lots of touring DJs, Have a monitor setup for them also, and they will need a couple of AC outlets too, and a mic on a stand probably.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 06:07:59 AM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.