ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Dj use of my system NYE  (Read 50130 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Dj use of my system NYE
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 12:18:06 PM »

That's why I suggest bringing the Booth Monitor outputs into your board, and back to the wedges. So, you'll have 4 channels (DJ Master L-R, DJ Booth L-R) on your board. Only the DJ Master L-R will be up and in your system; the faders on the DJ Booth L-R will remain down. You just send *those* to the aux send to the DJ Booth Monitor wedge. This way, the DJ still has control over their DJ Booth Monitor send, and can turn it up/down/off as needed, but you maintain supervision and control over that feed. This will allow you to protect your gear!

-Ray

OK.. sorry Ray, I missed the 'booth out first' part when I was reading the comments. So booth out into 2 channels ( or another stereo channel) and then aux out to wedge. This will still help with the latency referenced here?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 12:22:51 PM »

The latency is negligible at best. (Same as any other stage wedge.) This is how I *always* set up DJ rigs.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 12:25:18 PM »

As the wedge is mono, will the booth out have a mono option do you think? Seems silly to use 2 cables and 2 channels.
However, I do have another stereo input plus some channel inputs if I need to use them. It's just the cables I might not have if it is RCA again - darn, this should be down to the DJ - not me.
I have all the cables I need - at what point does he get to take some responsibility?. He's probably earning more than I am that night anyway....I digress......
Do I need to use another couple of DI boxes for the booth outs?
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 12:28:58 PM »

Just went through my boxes of miscellaneous cables and stuff.
I found 2 30ft  NICE TRS cables if he is 1/4" out, I found 2 x 6ft heavy duty RCA cables. I also have my Rolls stereo DI which accepts RCA or 1/4", and I have a box that although it was bought as a 'hum eliminator' it works well as a patch box converting male/female XLR to 1/4" and vice versa. I'll just take everything with me.
BTW... the RCA cables are the type that have 3 cables together - usually L & R audio and one video. There isn't any difference between those and the single RCA cables is there? I have the standard RCA cables but they are not as heavy duty as these.

I have a Rolls DB14 that I have used to put playback into a mixer and it monos it out. I checked it with SMAART and found that it has a relatively steep roll off stating at 150hz. I don’t know how flat the one you have is but be careful, you wouldn’t want to roll the bass of like that for a DJ.

Ray Aberle

• Classic LAB
  • Located in Vancouver, WA (and serves OR-WA-ID-BC)
    • Kelcema Audio
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 12:30:32 PM »

Depends on what his mixer/controller outputs. Most standalone mixers (DJM-series) have 1/4" outputs. So, I built an 8-channel DJ Patch Snake for this-- 50' of multicore, pair each of 1/4" F-XLR (for DJ Master Out) and M-XLR (for DJ Booth Returns for powered speakers) on one end, and all XLR on the other end to land on a console/stage box in the right orientation. Bit of colored heat shrink to color code the channels (blue for left, red for right) and then p-touch labels under clear heat shrink for actual channel labels makes for a quick and easy setup.

If you have a second set of DIs for booth outs to take either 1/4" or RCA, that's going to be the safest way to be prepared. I've never seen a DJ mixer/controller with XLR for booth monitor outputs.

Get some cheap F-RCA to Male-1/4" plugs, so you can short-length-RCA from mixer to your DIs, and then XLR to the console/snake.
Kelcema Audio
Regional - Serving Pacific Northwest (OR, WA, ID, BC)

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 12:44:20 PM »

A DI is safe but it's unnecessary if you're not connecting to mic inputs....

I respectfully disagree.

I always isolate my rig from DJs , Band recorders & Video folk. I can never know what they might do, the condition of their gear, or how they power stuff.
Not blowing up my gear!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 12:45:26 PM »

Depends on what his mixer/controller outputs. Most standalone mixers (DJM-series) have 1/4" outputs. So, I built an 8-channel DJ Patch Snake for this-- 50' of multicore, pair each of 1/4" F-XLR (for DJ Master Out) and M-XLR (for DJ Booth Returns for powered speakers) on one end, and all XLR on the other end to land on a console/stage box in the right orientation. Bit of colored heat shrink to color code the channels (blue for left, red for right) and then p-touch labels under clear heat shrink for actual channel labels makes for a quick and easy setup.

If you have a second set of DIs for booth outs to take either 1/4" or RCA, that's going to be the safest way to be prepared. I've never seen a DJ mixer/controller with XLR for booth monitor outputs.

Get some cheap F-RCA to Male-1/4" plugs, so you can short-length-RCA from mixer to your DIs, and then XLR to the console/snake.

My stereo ins are 1/4" on the console (just to complicate things)
but both my analog drop snakes are XLR/ 1/4" combo inputs and XLR outs. So I would have to convert the outputs if I use the stereo ins on the console. Won't have to convert if I use mono channel inputs.

Regarding your advice to use DI's for the booth outs too : I will use my stereo/dual mono DI box for FOH L & R and that conveniently has RCA/ 1/4" inputs.
However my other 2 DI boxes have only 1/4" inputs but fortunately I have RCA > 1/4" adaptors I can use on that RCA cable.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 12:53:08 PM »

Well crap ..... I just double checked and it's my 50ft 16 channel snake that has the combo inputs - my 25ft and 30ft 8 channel snakes ( that I would prefer to use) do not - just XLR. Oh boy ......I gotta simplify this somehow. Sounds like the routing is simple but its the frickin' cable types that are getting in the way- LOL

Magnus Högkvist

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2017, 12:58:19 PM »

As the wedge is mono, will the booth out have a mono option do you think? Seems silly to use 2 cables and 2 channels.
However, I do have another stereo input plus some channel inputs if I need to use them. It's just the cables I might not have if it is RCA again - darn, this should be down to the DJ - not me.

If the DJ uses DJM900 then there is a mono/stereo switch but unfortunately this will affect all outputs (Master, rec and booth).

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2017, 01:05:35 PM »

OK so......
DJ mixer L R out > stereo DI box (either RCA>RCA or 1/4">1/4" as box can accommodate both) > snake XLR in > XLR/ 1/4" adaptor to console stereo line ins.

Booth L R out > 2x DI boxes (OK if 1/4" outs on DJ mixer but if RCA will use RCA to 1/4" adaptor) >snake  XLR in > XLR/ 1/4" adaptor to console.

If this is it, then all I have to do is make sure I have 4 RCA to 1/4" adaptors. yes???

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2017, 01:05:35 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.