ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dj use of my system NYE  (Read 49382 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Dj use of my system NYE
« Reply #180 on: January 08, 2018, 07:02:03 PM »

I was surprised this happened - especially because the levels on the mixer were only in the yellow - but it did. The LCD panels were showing "LIMITING'.  I had the masters on all the subs at 10 to start and 8 on the tops (max 12) before I kicked everything down.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #181 on: January 08, 2018, 07:37:28 PM »

I just read that the limiters on the SRX800 series are preset to -10db from factory and I have never changed them. It is also common knowledge that the SRX series tend to limit early - so maybe I was unnecessarily worrying and in fact the speakers were not clipping at all. Maybe the smell that guy mentioned was something else - perhaps someone managed to smoke a cigarette somewhere... who knows.
The more I think about it, the more it seems unlikely that 4 SRX18" subs and 2 15" tops would be pushed beyond their limits in a room the size we were in. It was nice and loud but  not like 'rave' loud.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #182 on: January 08, 2018, 09:15:00 PM »

I just read that the limiters on the SRX800 series are preset to -10db from factory and I have never changed them.
And how far from 0dBFS is "into the yellow" on your QU?

It is also common knowledge that the SRX series tend to limit early - so maybe I was unnecessarily worrying and in fact the speakers were not clipping at all.
I'll restate what I believe Scott was attempting to say.. You will never clip the amps inside those boxes but you could potentially clip the input stage.. although that too would be difficult with the input compression/limiting that is in place.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #183 on: January 09, 2018, 12:47:18 AM »

You can clip anything if you feed it a sufficiently hot signal.  You know better, Scott.

I understand that you can clip the input.  Contextually I think we are talking about output clipping and I stand by my statement that the protection in a good powered speaker should prevent output clipping.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #184 on: January 09, 2018, 12:51:01 AM »

And how far from 0dBFS is "into the yellow" on your QU?
 I'll restate what I believe Scott was attempting to say.. You will never clip the amps inside those boxes but you could potentially clip the input stage.. although that too would be difficult with the input compression/limiting that is in place.

I replied before I read your response.  That's exactly what I meant.  We were not talking about input clipping.  Clearly since we were talking about the power consumption of the amplifier the entire context was driving the output too hard.  My point was not only was that not happening, you were probably just into early limiting.

Modern powered speakers can take a surprising amount of operation in constant limiting.

I also would state that even if you drove the input stage into hard clipping the output should be protected.  Most certainly in an SRX. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steve Garris

« Reply #185 on: January 09, 2018, 01:51:30 AM »

I just read that the limiters on the SRX800 series are preset to -10db from factory and I have never changed them. It is also common knowledge that the SRX series tend to limit early - so maybe I was unnecessarily worrying and in fact the speakers were not clipping at all. Maybe the smell that guy mentioned was something else - perhaps someone managed to smoke a cigarette somewhere... who knows.
The more I think about it, the more it seems unlikely that 4 SRX18" subs and 2 15" tops would be pushed beyond their limits in a room the size we were in. It was nice and loud but  not like 'rave' loud.

I see that on my 818 subs on every kick hit when I'm running it wide open, which is most of the time. Not only are the boxes well protected, but you don't hear it as well. It's a nice, powered system. I just need to double up on my subs, and I'll be happy.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #186 on: January 09, 2018, 12:22:06 PM »

I see that on my 818 subs on every kick hit when I'm running it wide open, which is most of the time. Not only are the boxes well protected, but you don't hear it as well. It's a nice, powered system. I just need to double up on my subs, and I'll be happy.

Good to hear Steve - definitely sounds like I was worrying unnecessarily. How many subs do you have now and which model tops?

Steve Garris

« Reply #187 on: January 09, 2018, 02:59:40 PM »

Good to hear Steve - definitely sounds like I was worrying unnecessarily. How many subs do you have now and which model tops?

(1) 818 and (1) 815 per side.

I want to now get an 828, leaving me with a nice, scaleable system, but I don't have the transport room. If this year goes well, I'm going to start looking in to a full-size or extended van.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #188 on: January 09, 2018, 03:42:18 PM »

(1) 818 and (1) 815 per side.

I want to now get an 828, leaving me with a nice, scaleable system, but I don't have the transport room. If this year goes well, I'm going to start looking in to a full-size or extended van.

When we add the 828 to the set, we have to use either the trailer or add a vehicle if local. That thing is about as compact as it gets for a 2x18" but is still too much of a beast ( with everything else) for anything other than a van.
I enjoy using 2x SRX818's and the SRX828 for the slightly bigger shows - I feel like you do that it makes the system very scaleable and remains extremely manageable. I can even load the SRX828 on my own into the mini van using the tilt and push method.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #188 on: January 09, 2018, 03:42:18 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.