Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Dj use of my system NYE

(1/38) > >>

Debbie Dunkley:
The band is playing a downtown show NYE and I have agreed for a fee to allow the DJ to play out the night through my system.
As the band comes off stage, the DJ will take over. I was going to patch the DJ mixer into a stereo channel of my mixer so it will be a seamless changeover. That way I can continue to have master control.
I contacted the DJ - left a message to ask what outputs he has on his mixer but he hasn't returned my call. I got his number from the promoter so he knows I tried to reach out.
So I'm just going to turn up with what I have and if he needs something different then that is down to him.
Most DJ mixers I have come across use either XLR or RCA outs. So I'll be using 2 x XLR > TR, or 2 x RCA > TR cords as my stereo ins are TR L & R line ins.  Any other combinations it could be?

Len Zenith Jr:
That will cover it, either XLR or RCA outs. If you use aux fed subs don't forget to put them in the mix. Having "executive control" in your mixer is the smart way to handle DJ's. He may want a monitor if he is a mix DJ so if you have a powered wedge that will work. Monitor outs on DJ mixers are either 1/4" TRS on the pro mixers or RCA on some all-in-one units.

Edit - It isn't a bad idea to have a 1:1 isolation transformer in between his equipment and yours. That prevents phantom power from blowing up his equipment and will eliminate most buzzes that might be present with his setup.

I use an ART isolation transformer. It also converts all the possible outputs and inputs so it is a nice problem solver when they show up with something weird.

Rob Spence:
I always connect a DJ desk with DIs. Gives me my isolation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Debbie Dunkley:
Cool - thanks peeps... I have a stereo/dual mono DI that accepts either 1/4" or RCA so that will do the trick !

Dan Currie:
I'd be prepared for xlr or trs outputs.  XLR for the mains, trs for the booth.  A quad box or two for ac should give them enough Edison outlets.  Also, transformers can saturate causing audible distortion before the DJ clips their mixer.  I don't use a DI or transformer isolated splits on DJ's anymore. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version